• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5K talkgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve5wil

Feed Provider
quick question -
using a xts5k for both ham (one zone)
and a over glorified scanner (another zone)

I have access to the syskey and NAC

when entering talkgroup ids (p25p1), is the CPS / system looking for the hexID, DECID or does it matter?
if its in the cps tutorials, i missed it.

I have both sets of IDs figured for the agency I want to monitor

thanks

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
quick question -

when entering talkgroup ids (p25p1), is the CPS / system looking for the hexID, DECID or does it matter?

thanks

CPS uses Hex for Talkgroup IDs.
Marshall KE4ZNR

jim202

quick question -

thanks

If you have to ask, the question really is do you know what your doing so you don't foul up the operation of the trunking system? Poorly programmed trunking radios can cause all sorts of havoc on a trunking system.

I am not trying to be the radio police here, but the radio your trying to program up to be a high priced scanner will transmit on the trunking system unless you know how to keep it from affiliating.

The other way to do it is the legal way and get a letter of authorization from the radio systems manager. If he can be convinced you need to be on his system, he will then probably have the system's radio shop program it up for you. That way you know it is programmed correctly and it won't cause any problems to the system. It can even be made to RX only on what ever talkgroups do get programmed into the radio. This is done all the time for news media radios.

If the radio does show up on the system without being authorized, the radio will probably get shut down by the system and now you have a useless hunk of radio that has been inhibited.

Jim

SCPD

QRT
If you have to ask, the question really is do you know what your doing so you don't foul up the operation of the trunking system? Poorly programmed trunking radios can cause all sorts of havoc on a trunking system.

I am not trying to be the radio police here, but the radio your trying to program up to be a high priced scanner will transmit on the trunking system unless you know how to keep it from affiliating.

The other way to do it is the legal way and get a letter of authorization from the radio systems manager. If he can be convinced you need to be on his system, he will then probably have the system's radio shop program it up for you. That way you know it is programmed correctly and it won't cause any problems to the system. It can even be made to RX only on what ever talkgroups do get programmed into the radio. This is done all the time for news media radios.

If the radio does show up on the system without being authorized, the radio will probably get shut down by the system and now you have a useless hunk of radio that has been inhibited.

Jim

Don't mean to be cruel, but let him program it up. It it's wrong and causes havoc, hopefully the system admin will inhibit it and won't have to worry about it causing a problem. If you don't know the ins and outs of a system and how to properly program it as not to cause issues then don't. Otherwise go for it and when the rouge radio is detected it will be shut down (hopefully) and the person who programmed it could be prosecuted in some states. Most systems are designed to catch this kind of thing as to keep it from causing lengthy harm to it. May have to do a rant post about programming radios on trunking systems by people who don't have any idea how to properly.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Don't mean to be cruel, but let him program it up. It it's wrong and causes havoc, hopefully the system admin will inhibit it and won't have to worry about it causing a problem. If you don't know the ins and outs of a system and how to properly program it as not to cause issues then don't. Otherwise go for it and when the rouge radio is detected it will be shut down (hopefully) and the person who programmed it could be prosecuted in some states. Most systems are designed to catch this kind of thing as to keep it from causing lengthy harm to it. May have to do a rant post about programming radios on trunking systems by people who don't have any idea how to properly.
jw above has the right mindset. I have multiple layers of keeping track of radios affiliated to the system I help maintain from Genwatch to ZoneWatch to Pro96Com. It is up to the system admin to keep track
of system resources.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ve5wil

Feed Provider
first off - unlike some folks, I value my freedom, radio license , and equipment. If I did not have any form of authorization to atempt what I am doing, I wouldn't be asking for help.

I am familiar with the no affiliation programming.

I am aware of potential to cause the system havoc.

I just wanted to confirm that hex was the correct way to enter id

reason- both agency I wish to monitor and sys admin have ok'd me to monitor provided I program the radio myself and submit the code plug for verification before using it (or I could get a radio from them at retail cost, then it would only be a rental as it is with all agencies on this system).

as for programming radios... yes this will be my first time using CPS. Previous experience has been only with RSS or other radio specific software

KE4ZNR - Thank you for the assist.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
first off - unlike some folks, I value my freedom, radio license , and equipment. If I did not have any form of authorization to atempt what I am doing, I wouldn't be asking for help.

I am familiar with the no affiliation programming.

I am aware of potential to cause the system havoc.

I just wanted to confirm that hex was the correct way to enter id

reason- both agency I wish to monitor and sys admin have ok'd me to monitor provided I program the radio myself and submit the code plug for verification before using it (or I could get a radio from them at retail cost, then it would only be a rental as it is with all agencies on this system).

as for programming radios... yes this will be my first time using CPS. Previous experience has been only with RSS or other radio specific software

KE4ZNR - Thank you for the assist.
No problem. We all started somewhere :) Moto loves them some hex IDs!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.