Backlight Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I'm surprised that Uniden is not even acknowledging the 'backlight issue' as described in a previous thread.

I'm aware there is another thread " Backlight on 436 and 536" regarding this issue. I thought that if we kept this thread for one time post describing your 'backlight issue' without getting off topic and drifting away into other realms of the scanner. This should be a general post, consisting only of the following;

How long have you owned the BCD536HP?
BCD536HP Backlight is working normal?
BCD536HP Backlight is working diminished from time of purchase?
BCD536HP Backlight is not working at all?

This survey could show Uniden how the Backlight issue is effecting their customers.

Thank you

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Three BCD536HP's

14 months - Diminished backlight
12 months - Diminished backlight
7 months - Working normally.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
Owned 11 Months
BCD536HP Backlight is working diminished from time of purchase by about 50%.
Can barely see during daylight hours.

I have changed the light to only come on with the squelch opening in trying to save the backlight as much as possible.

Mike

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
... 14 months... diminished backlight... don't use the radio anyway as (even with some improvement with the update) the sound on Bucks County, Burco and Phila. systems is so muffled and garbled compared to GRE products that the radio is useless to me anyway... shame on Bearcat for making such an inferior product for my hard earned money... 73's... Bob...

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I've owned my current 536HP for about four months now. As far as I can tell, there has been no diminishment of the backlight, and it's always on (on its brightest setting) when the radio is on.

divison200

Uniden BCD536hp

I have owned my scanner for 1 year and three months , no problems with back light or any other operating problems, bought the unit from ham radio outlet, salem, nh

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gentlemen, please keep in mind the OP's purpose for starting this thread.

I've deleted a couple of off-topic messages.

marksmith

Owned for 15 months on brightest setting since purchase 24/7 until past month. Backlight has diminished to the point its difficult to read and don't really use an more. Waiting to hear of a solution.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Owned my 536 for two months. Backlight still OK. In an attempt to prolong its useful life I NEVER set it on high. Instead I set it to low, or sometimes medium, but I actually try to use the Siren app as much as possible and set the 536 backlight to off when doing so. Hopefully this will help.

JamesO

536HP had about 14 months, early serial number never been returned for audio repair.

Typically on 7/24 with back light. Seems that the back light has deteriorated approximately 50% and now that it was brought to my attention, I am guessing that this happened around the 4-6 month mark??

Have a 436HP that I do not use often, I need to go and look at the back light on the 436HP and see if it looks like it has degraded.

I believe my 436HP may have a RTC battery issue, not sure about the 536HP.

So many things to get sorted out still.

Bucko

The back light has dimmed a good bit after the 536 was 8 months old which is a year old now. I run at max brightness..

SOFA_KING

My 536 runs 24x7 and is very dim now. Getting hard to read in any light, day or night. Started noticing dimming at the three month old mark. Got it before Xmas 2014.

My 436, purchased about a month after the 536, still looks ok at the moment, but it doesn't get used unless I'm driving. Some minor portable use, but not with the backlight on. I'm now turning the backlight on every time I drive to see if it will diminish. If is going to fail, I want to to happen before the warentee expires.

Phil

JoeyC

I've owned the 536 since about a month after it was first released and have noticed no change in the display - still as bright and contrasty as it was on opening day.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Results from the Poll

I want to thank everyone who participated in this Poll. It does appear to be a serious problem with the backlight on the BCD536HP scanner. I'm really surprised that Paul (Upman) didn't find his way to this thread and reply, as a Uniden spokesperson. Very disappointing! I'm sure Uniden will eventually do the right thing and repair the faulty backlights that are out of warranty.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 1.45.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 1.45.34 PM.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 739
Status
Not open for further replies.