Long AOR AR-DV1 chat with Taka at AOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I had some time this afternoon, so I paid Taka at AOR another visit for about an hour. As posted on another thread, I returned the AR-DV1 yesterday. However, despite the receiver issues, Taka and I have become pretty friendly because we speak back and forth to each other sometimes in English and other times in Japanese. He is my age, 66, and been a ham since 1963, the same as myself (actually 1962). We have talked about other things besides just radio.
We spoke in detail about the new AOR radio and some of the now well-known issues. I actually walked around the entire facility, and Taka and I went back and played with various AOR receivers, including the new AR-DV1. I again discussed some of my concerns and of those who actually own the radio, as well as the general concerns and comments on the AR-DV1 related threads. Taka is becoming aware of the problems/ We actually sat down with the radio there and went over a few things.
Taka came right out and said that we are essentially the beta-testers. He used a phrase with me in Japanese that essentially means that. I brought up one of the big issues of why no trunking. He told me that because Japan has no similar types of trunking systems as in the US (they use something different), the engineers did not really even initially consider trunking in the radio.
I explained to Taka that trunking was something that every seasoned scanner enthusiast in the US would expect (I guess that is one of the roles of Paul Opitz at Uniden in interacting with his engineers in Japan). I told him that if this scanner could do trunking, that might go a long way towards making the unit more attractive in the US. He thinks this may be possible with firmware, but no promises yet on this issue.
After some of the basic issues like VFO search problem, need for computer interface, and DMR motorboating are addressed in the upcoming firmware (due within about a week he said), he is pushing his firmware engineer(s) to start looking at phase 2 P25.
Taka is even planning on traveling around the US a bit and recording some IQ samples that he says his engineers need to help them write such firmware. I told him we have a few new P25 P2 systems coming on line here in LA, and that Las Vegas and Tucson would be good areas to travel to for P25 P2. He was not aware of this.
I also encouraged Taka to join the RRDB list (told him about very inexpensive fees for a lot of information). I advised him of all the database features and his ability to find where the different P2 and other systems are. I also told him that this would allow some feedback directly between him and all of us on the list. He said he would consider joining.
I told Taka that I would help him find some systems here in Los Angeles/Riverside that he could start using for IQ data. He evidently has a tapped AOR unit that he is using for this purpose. He not do much scanning himself. I told him that I would bring a couple of my Uniden scanners (996XT and one of my 536HPs) and set them up over at AOR for him if he would like so he can get a feel for what we all know is out there and would like to monitor. He also asked if he might come by my house (only about 20 min from AOR) and use some of my antennas to get some better reception and more of a feel for things. He is going to call me in next week or so about that.
Finally, he asked me to take back the AR-DV1 that I returned yesterday and at least wait until a couple of firmware updates to see what I and others who own the radio think. He said if I am not happy (and actually said if others are not happy), then they can return the radio.
I deal with a lot of Japanese healthcare professionals in my second career as a Japanese-to-English biomedical patent translator, I have many ham friends in Japan from over the years, and I am actively involved through our Rotary Club (been a member for 17 years) in student exchanges between Japan and the US, many of which I have chaperoned. The Japanese are pretty sincere people overall, and Taka certainly seems that way to me. I gather he is the face of AOR here in the US, but not sure.
I, as much as many of you, would really like to see a radio like the AR DV1 succeed. As a disclaimer, I have absolutely no financial interest in this venture; only my interest as a fellow amateur radio operator and scanner enthusiast.
My profession is medicine, and now biomedical translation as a second career. But I figure I live practically right next door to AOR USA, I speak Japanese (which has created a bond between myself and Taka), and I really would like see the radio work out.
What will happen in the end, I don't know, but maybe something good will come out of all of this. If they could get trunking via some firmware update, that would be a real nice thing. Taka asked me about the patent issues involved, and I told him I really don't know, that is not my expertise, in fact, radio/electronics is not my expertise, but is my lifelong hobby. I assume the digital modes like NXDN, DMR, and perhaps even P25 are still on patent protection. But I told Taka that even if they could incorporate some analog trunking, that that feature, together with all the digital mode decoding, might really help make their radio of more interest to me, and certainly to many of you reading this rather long post.
Let's see where things go from here.

FrankNY

Steve, thank you so very much for your initiative on this. I, too, hope to see the AR-DV1 succeed.

Frank.

airwolfbell222

Premium Subscriber
Wow, that's awesome! thanks for sharing and it's nice to know AOR is listening, maybe some day we will see all of this packed into a AR8200 form factor ;-)

Steve, can you comment on the wav recording feature on this radio. My question is, if you're recording and the signal stops... Will the recorder pause until the squelch is broken agian or will it keep recording until you press the stop button which would mean your recording dead air?

Franz

KA2ZEY

Steve, this is really amazing. The five going to conversation like this is even happening is incredible. Please keep us in the loop of any conversations and updates that take place between you and Taka. Was there any word of the handheld version in the future?

mancow

Database Admin
Holy **** they don't even know what trunking is, no idea of how prevalent it is?

That's like a handgun manufacturer asking what these new fancy calibers are called 9mm and 45 ACP!
f8mGeS1.gif

I once visited an engineering division of a fairly large radio manufacturer who was working on a new P25 trunked portable. There was one of about every type of portable of about every make you could think of on a shelf. I was amazed. I asked what that was all about and was told they buy just about one of everything to study and get a feel for what they need to match or do better.

At least the guy sounds like a nice fellow and is willing to learn. They should put you on the payroll. (seriously)

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Franz
Don't know anything about the recording feature. Just trying to learn basic search and program a few channels. The instruction manual, is shall we say, less than optimal. I'm kind of waiting for the firmware updates before delving much into all the features. '
I must stand corrected, however, regarding the Auto mode function. Although Taka said it was for P25 only, Jeff at Ham Station said his worked between FM, AM, and digital. Tried it again today, and indeed does seem to work, not perfectly, but OK.
I hope we get some more posts on this list from actual users of the radio, but don't know how may that really is. The serial # of my radio ends in 0028. Somehow, I don't think many of these have actually been bought.
I will have some time to explore the radio in further detail this weekend. Thanks to Frank, Franz, KA2ZEY, and Mancow for your comments. You gentlemen probably know far more about this stuff than I do, although in all honesty, after 52 years of amateur radio and 35 years of scanning, it does begin to sink in.

prc117f

Some of the stuff I am hearing sounds like hardware issues not addressable by firmware only.

Slow scanning speed for example I suspect they used an underpowered CPU for what they wanted to do. Also if this thing is not a scanner but a receiver, it better damn be a better receiver than a 400 dollar uniden scanner.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Prc1171,
Scanning and searching is slow as molasses. And no, my Uniden and GRE/Whister scanners hear better than this "receiver." On HF, overload is a major problem. Took receiver back from AOR until at least new firmware is out to see what happens. AOR gave me some time to decide if I want to keep receiver. I really doubt that I will. Would have to be a miracle to get this receiver to anything I would want to use on a regular basis. We will see, but after playing with the AR-DV1 for a couple of days, it is a real disappointment for me so far.
I have packed it back it its box waiting for the new firmware. Spent way too much time with it already with little enjoyment and a lot of frustration. Maybe BamaScan is having better luck. Taka at AOR is a real nice guy, and he really would like to see this thing work, but getting this new receiver to work, at least the way I would expect it to, is going to be a bit of a stretch (and thats an understatement).

prc117f

Prc1171,
Scanning and searching is slow as molasses. And no, my Uniden and GRE/Whister scanners hear better than this "receiver." On HF, overload is a major problem. Took receiver back from AOR until at least new firmware is out to see what happens. AOR gave me some time to decide if I want to keep receiver. I really doubt that I will. Would have to be a miracle to get this receiver to anything I would want to use on a regular basis. We will see, but after playing with the AR-DV1 for a couple of days, it is a real disappointment for me so far.
I have packed it back it its box waiting for the new firmware. Spent way too much time with it already with little enjoyment and a lot of frustration. Maybe BamaScan is having better luck. Taka at AOR is a real nice guy, and he really would like to see this thing work, but getting this new receiver to work, at least the way I would expect it to, is going to be a bit of a stretch (and thats an understatement).

Yeah what you are reporting is not something that can be fixed with software unfortunately. It sounds like a poorly designed RF section coupled with an underpowered CPU.

Scanners typically have a "Good enough" receive section if this 1200 dollar receiver is underperforming a scanner than something is really wrong.

You can buy an Airspy for 200 dollars, and a good laptop that will support it for 700 dollars and it would outperform this 1200 dollar product in terms of Digital voice reception.

And you get a wide band pan adapter. The guys at AOR are definitely living in a vacuum, This typically happens to companies accustomed to guaranteed government sales.

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
Steve, tell Taka that if AOR could design a receiver that handles trunkling (P25 Phase 2, etc), AND DOES NOT have the simulcast distortion problem that Uniden and others have so far been unable to solve, it would sell like hotcakes. Scanner hobbyists are just begging for a trunking-capable scanner that CORRECTLY deals with simulcast.

VE2XWA

AOR should had bought GRE patent, hire the engineers, mix both team and voilà! The beast is born.

Last edited:

FrankNY

AOR should had bought GRE patent, hire the engineers, mix both team and voilà! The beast is born.

Those were my thoughts exactly.

When I read that Whistler Group had acquired GRE, I screamed NO, NO, NO, AOR should have bought them!

Not that I have anything against Whistler, mind you, or even against a company branching out into new product areas, but in this case I felt strongly that GRE would have been a much more useful asset to AOR than to what was essentially a maker of radar detectors.

Frank.

Minus1

He told me that because Japan has no similar types of trunking systems as in the US (they use something different), the engineers did not really even initially consider trunking in the radio.

Don't the USAF Air Bases in Japan (Misawa, Yokota) use P25?
They do in the UK.

Andy3

I'm amazed that the DV1 has such poor/overloady MF/HF reception, as AOR are usually on the ball when it comes to basic RF performance. The DV1 seems to use a similar RF/IF architecture to the 5001d, although obviously money has been saved somewhere along the line, maybe less comprehensive front-end filtering, a less expensive ADC and generally cheaper in all respects.
I'd love to get the blocks and scematics next to each other and play spot the difference. I suspect there are many....

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Those were my thoughts exactly.

When I read that Whistler Group had acquired GRE, I screamed NO, NO, NO, AOR should have bought them!

Not that I have anything against Whistler, mind you, or even against a company branching out into new product areas, but in this case I felt strongly that GRE would have been a much more useful asset to AOR than to what was essentially a maker of radar detectors.

Frank.

I agree, an AOR/GRE combination could have created a Uniden crushing empire, but I'm just happy someone kept GRE alive at all.

My experiences with AOR radios has been mixed, but mostly bad. The AR1000 was a disaster, the AR900 was amazingly sensitive, but it had all kinds of firmware issues that made me sell it, and the AR3030 I had was ok, but reeked of cheap and had the usual annoying ergonomics that AOR radios always have.

I'm getting an AR8000 soon to repair a blown speaker and BNC connector, and if I might just keep it if it works as well as it's claimed to.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Steve; I appreciate your efforts on this. I hope AOR can get this moved to the next level. I have spoken to Taka a few times myself and he is a true gentleman who wants to get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.