• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Upgrade Kenwoods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

Right now we operate Kenwood TK3173K and TK380 radios for a maintenance, security and Lifeguards for a large outdoor resort area.

We need to purchase at least two radios for our conventional system, we already have two HYT portables which were not my decision to purchase and do not work all that great unless you are in the area of the tower.

Looking for a decent low cost portable with at least 4 ch option low cost, Been looking at few of the low cost portables but afraid going have same problem as HYTs.

My budget is below $150 per unit or there is always take chance on ebay which have and good returns

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
below $150 for NEW radios from a reputable dealer is kind of pushing it. Remember, QUALITY radios from real manufacturers with USA based support and warranty are not bargain basement. That being said, a more realistic budget of $200 or so can get you into decent portables from reputable manufacturers like Icom, Vertex Standard and Kenwood. All three of which have 2 or 3 year (Vertex) warranties and USA based dealers and support.

I would caution anyone from buying radios off eBay for professional use unless you know the seller. Always buy the SELLER not the item.

Models that fit your bill like the Vertex VX-231 can be found as low as $165-175. These are 16 channel capable of scan, 2-tone decode and come standard with lithium ion batteries. I have one of these and they are GREAT low cost radios. 3 year warranty is also a plus.

The Icom IC-F1000 is comparable to the VX-231, but it has the bonus of bring IP67 water proof, MDC signaling, etc. Slightly higher in price but a quality Japanese built radio with a 2 year warranty from a reputable manufacturer.

Kenwood has the TK-3402 which are in the $225-250 range. Similar in features to the above and a 2 year warranty but it's Kenwood so the price is automatically higher.

I avoid the cheap Chinese radios from questionable sellers. Not that all Chi-comm radios are bad, for hobby/recreational/personal use they are great and affordable, but when your business, profession and life depends on something to work....SPEND THE MONEY and buy something that is built to last and backed by a real company with real support and not some fishy website that points to a post office in the middle of nowhere. :D

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've got 2 departments here at work that wanted some basic dirt simple radios for their operations. They didn't need or want to be on our trunked system.
Originally they were using consumer GMRS radios, and I was able to get them off there onto one of our existing UHF licenses.
One group has been buying Icom F4011 and some Icom F4001. They've been working out well. They are primarily doing building maintenance, so other that getting paint on them, they've done pretty well. I haven't seen any come back broken or damaged. The controls are simple enough that they can be handed to someone who's never used it before and they figure it out.

Last batch they bought was from here:
Icom F4011 / F3011 - Portables - Icom Radios - Radios
Alex who runs that shop is a nice guy and is easy to work with.
You can save a bit of money by going with the little brother of that radio:
Icom F4001 / F3001 - Portables - Icom Radios - Radios

The other group that is using simplex UHF has a mix of the Icom's and the Motorola CLX line. They seem to prefer the Icoms.

There are some good Kenwood options too. The TK-3400 and TK-3402 should come in under $200 each. Durable radios that will last you quite a while.

Steveradio

Will have to check into that, these additional radios will be used for our Aquatics department which last year already had one radio go swimming and another that fell multiple times from the Lifeguard stand. They use the TK380s which are durable parts like the antennas, clips for some reason need to keep replacing

Just ordered parts for my maintenance department as well some knobs and batteries which noticed not to last too long, if heavy use lucky crews get in a 8 hour shift before having to change batteries.

BTW believe me the $150 budget line was not my suggestion told them $200 and got the hand stop ha

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Show them the prices from the companies, and the online reviews of the radios. Include the cheap radios in the reviews, so they can see the bad reviews.

Sent via Tapatalk

12dbsinad

I'll second the Icom F4001. Excellent radio for the money. Both TX and RX audio is superb.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Will have to check into that, these additional radios will be used for our Aquatics department which last year already had one radio go swimming and another that fell multiple times from the Lifeguard stand.

The Icom IC-F1000/2000 series are IP67 waterproof rated. The few extra dollar spent now will be saved the next time one tumbles into a pool or one gets too wet when some fat guy like me makes a "waterbomb".

BTW believe me the $150 budget line was not my suggestion told them $200 and got the hand stop ha

Then their stupid. Sorry but that is the truth. Radios used as tools in any industrial or life safety application (which anything by a first responder, and yes, that includes a life guard) shouldn't be skimped on. No it does not mean they need an APX, but $189 for an Icom F1000 that is IP67 rated and built for serious use with safety features like Man Down and Lone Worker are not much to pay.

You can tell them they can pay now or pay later. Buy the right tool for the right job. Someone's life may depend on it.

mm

Before purchasing new radios to replace the HYT a better interim option may be to replace the antennas with something of better quality which is also properly tuned to your frequency.

I had similar issues and a change to some Smiley antennas fixed my problems.

This at least lets you use the HYT radios that you already have, perhaps with new antennas they can be used in a location away from the water which is better than not using them.

Last edited:

mikegilbert

MHz so good
I avoid the cheap Chinese radios from questionable sellers. Not that all Chi-comm radios are bad, for hobby/recreational/personal use they are great and affordable, but when your business, profession and life depends on something to work....SPEND THE MONEY and buy something that is built to last and backed by a real company with real support and not some fishy website that points to a post office in the middle of nowhere. :D

This. This. This.

Steveradio

Thank you all for the support.. Maybe if show this to the General Manager they will change the minds lol..

Believe me if had full control aww the toys would be able to get. Ha

Status
Not open for further replies.