• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Fee to Go Down, Really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantian

Part of the GMRS license fee is the "regulatory fee" which the FCC will eliminate as explained below. So if my math is right (sometimes a dubious proposition) that will be $90.00 - 25.00 = 65.00.

FCC discusses both GMRS and amateur vanity calls in this section.

- - -

Excerpted from the
NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEMAKING, REPORT AND ORDER, AND ORDER, FCC 15-59
Adopted: May 20, 2015, Released: May 21, 2015

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0521/FCC-15-59A1.pdf

19. In the FY 2014 NPRM, we sought comment on eliminating several of the smaller regulatory fee categories such as amateur radio Vanity Call Signs and GMRS. In the FY 2014 Report and Order, we concluded that we did not yet have adequate support to determine whether the cost of recovery and burden on small entities outweighed the collected revenue or whether eliminating the fee would adversely affect the licensing process. We stated, however, that we would reevaluate this issue in the future. Since adoption of the FY 2014 Report and Order, Commission staff have had an opportunity to obtain and analyze support concerning the collection of fees from these regulatees.

20. The GMRS and amateur radio Vanity Call Sign regulatory fee categories comprise on average over 20,000 licenses that are newly obtained or renewed every five and 10 years, respectively. After five years, the GMRS licensee is responsible for renewing the license (or cancelling) and the Commission is responsible for maintaining accurate records of licenses coming up for renewal - an administrative burden on both GMRS users and on the Commission for renewing and maintaining records of these licenses. After analyzing the costs of processing fee payments for GMRS, we conclude that the Commission’s cost of collecting and processing this fee exceeds the payment amount of $25. Our costs have increased over time and now that the costs exceed the amount of the regulatory fee, the increased relative administrative cost supports eliminating this regulatory fee category.

21. The Vanity Call Sign fee category has a small regulatory fee ($21.40 in FY 2014) for a 10-year license. The Commission often receives multiple applications for the same vanity call sign, but only one applicant can be issued that call sign. In such cases, the Commission issues refunds for all the remaining applicants. In addition to staff and computer time to process payments and issue refunds, there is an additional expense to issue checks for the applicants who cannot be refunded electronically. The Commission spends more resources on processing the regulatory fees and issuing refunds than the amount of the regulatory fee payment. As our costs now exceed the regulatory fee, we are eliminating this regulatory fee category.

22. The Commission will therefore eliminate the GMRS and Vanity Call Sign regulatory fee categories after the required congressional notification is provided. Once eliminated, these licensees will no longer be financially burdened with such payments and the Commission will no longer incur these administrative costs that exceed the fee payments. The revenue that the Commission would otherwise collect from these regulatory fee categories will be proportionally assessed on other wireless fee categories. This is a "permitted amendment" as defined in section 9(b)(3) of the Act, which, pursuant to section 9(b)(4)(B, must be submitted to Congress at least 90 days before it becomes effective.

[From the footnotes:]

FN59 The Commission has an open proceeding to review the Part 95, Personal Radio Service rules, which include GMRS. See Review of the Commission’s Part 95 Personal Radio Services Rules, WT Docket No. 10-119, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and Memorandum Opinion and Order on Reconsideration, 25 FCC Rcd 7651, 7659-7668, paras. 23-42 (2010).

FN61 After the 90-day notification period for a permitted amendment, these two fee categories will be eliminated. We will not be issuing refunds to licensees who have paid the regulatory fee prior to the elimination of the fee.

mancow

Database Admin
There should be no fee at all, for anything. That's the IRS's job. If you want more $$ FCC request it in the next budget cycle.

Josh380

Agreed. But I betcha if and when that happens, repeaters will disappear, then what's the point? That's the only reason I paid for it. Repeater access without having to study electronics, RF propagation, and all the other nonsense that goes along with Ham radio. I just want to talk and have more than a 2 mile range.

I'll shut up now. Don't want to slide OT.

WQPW689

Agreed. But I betcha if and when that happens, repeaters will disappear, then what's the point? That's the only reason I paid for it. Repeater access without having to study electronics, RF propagation, and all the other nonsense that goes along with Ham radio. I just want to talk and have more than a 2 mile range.

I'll shut up now. Don't want to slide OT.

Just curious. Why do you think repeaters would go away if they dropped GMRS license fees?

Josh380

I dunno..maybe dropping the license fees completely would lead to deregulation on GMRS..basically the FCC letting it go. I don't really have anything to back that up...I guess I'm just being pessimistic. Again, I don't want to be the cause of this going OT.

It's good to see it's gonna be cheaper.

Last edited:

WQPW689

Fee

OK, thanks. I know a few guys think the opposite, they'd become more popular, but that's for a different thread.

Back on topic, 25 bucks is a start, but the whole thing is such a mess they really ought to drop the licensing fee.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
There should be no fees, the FCC doesn't do anything for the fee's. They never address interference issues, or people using the frequencies for bussiness and illegal PSTN connections and relaying from one repeater to another.

Back in the 70's the FCC had to give back fees in the form of no fees for CB for a number of years when someone complained that they were using the fees instead of asking for a bigger budget.

Maybe time for that again.

Dantian

Just curious. Why do you think repeaters would go away if they dropped GMRS license fees?

The FCC did propose what it called "abolition of repeaters" in the GMRS. That was in the 80s. It got beat back by a letter-writing and Congress-calling campaign.

Dropping the license is back on the table, in the proceeding cited in the first of those two footnotes up there. No licenses, no repeaters. Yes there has been no further action on that FCC proposal, but it isn't dead till it's dead.

As long as they have licenses there'll be license fees. In GMRS that's the application fee now that the regulatory fee is ended.

For those who say there should be no fee: The idea is "user fees" -- those who use FCC services directly (like applying for licenses) should pay for them so that the larger public need not pay for FCC in taxes.

Amateur Radio licensing is an exception. Because the amateur service is noncommercial, it was not asked to pay. Volunteer examiners are allowed to charge small fees to cover their costs when testing.

Dantian

You don't seem to know the difference between commercial use and commercial licensing. And your history or recollection of GMRS is not accurate. I recommend that you check the many back threads on these subjects as they have been fully covered in this forum.

Aero125

Paying a license fee equal to paying for 2 sets of radios at Walmart is ridiculous. That money does not go to providing any services to the user, it goes into the salaries of the FCC bureaucrats. GMRS has really become like FRS, its a wild free for all where the majority of users have no license and few FCC rules are observed much less enforced. The few repeaters around here would make a sailor or truck driver cringe at the language and content, haha.

Amateur radio is mostly self enforced, and the FCC only steps in once other Hams do the groundwork, logging, tracking, etc. I know enforcement actions happen with GMRS, but that is only with habitual unlicensed rogue repeaters, not with the average person without a license.

jhooten

They could further reduce the administrative burden by making the licenses lifetime. That would reduce the paperwork to just the initial application, not having to process renewals every 5 or 10 years, and administrative changes such as upgrades, address changes, or cancellation upon the death of the holder as examples.

Jaxco

Maybe as a cash generator offer vanity calls again. Lower fees are good but I don't want them lifted - at least some token amount should be charged so you don't turn it into another 11 meteresque garbage pile.

KB7MIB

If anyone is aware of rules violations in the GMRS, *REPORT THEM*!
The FCC cannot investigate a violation if they do not know about a violation.
If all you're gonna do is complain on these forums about rules violations, then no, the FCC isn't going to enforce the rules.
The GMRS needs to be self-policed by it's users just like the ARS is. (My guess is, virtually every investigation by the FCC is due to a report from a user of a particular radio service, or someone who monitors a particular radio service, rather than from FCC monitoring at random.)

Document and report.

I'm glad to read that it'll be cheaper when I go to renew.

John
WPXJ-598
Peoria, AZ

Jaxco

I may try to form a GMRS club, low dues but allow members only to use my repeater, will try to get 2 other repeater owners I know who are also members of a couple of Amateur Radio clubs that I belong to jump in.

Self regulation trains other users to uphold the standard you expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.