• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mototrbo programming older version

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
First off I apologize, I know this has been covered here before, I have spent some time scrolling back and can't find it.

A fellow ham bought a 6550 at Dayton with 11.0 in it.
I got 10.5.
I'm certain I've read before on RR how to go back to a previous version.
We want to get my version in his radio.

Thanks.

Firebuff880

First off I apologize, I know this has been covered here before, I have spent some time scrolling back and can't find it.

A fellow ham bought a 6550 at Dayton with 11.0 in it.
I got 10.5.
I'm certain I've read before on RR how to go back to a previous version.
We want to get my version in his radio.

Thanks.

First off, 11.0 is the version of the CPS used to program the radio and is not "in" the radio. Second, you are SOL. No going back, so if you have a legal copy of CPS upgrade (it should be no charge) and take both radio to the same level of code plug created with 11.0

-----------------------------

N4KVE

This is one reason to always ask the seller what version of CPS was used to last program the radio. Many times you can go back one step to program a radio with older CPS. When a friend bought a 6550 that was last programmed with 9.5, I was able to program it with 9.0 no problem. But since there was 10.5, 10.7, 10.8, & 11.0, That's a few bumps, so I don't think it will work. Good luck.

SCPD

QRT
Ok thanks

First off, 11.0 is the version of the CPS used to program the radio and is not "in" the radio. Second, you are SOL. No going back, so if you have a legal copy of CPS upgrade (it should be no charge) and take both radio to the same level of code plug created with 11.0

-----------------------------

OK thanks. I thought about that.
Just not worth it for me to go into MOL and grab the latest and greatest for somebody else's radio.
I'm happy with 10.5 in my radios, at least for the time being.

JRayfield

As someone else already pointed out, the version of CPS (such as your 10.5) is NOT what is "in the radio". That is only the version of the CPS. There can be several versions of firmware that a single CPS version will program, so you need to find out the firmware version that is in your radio and refer to that, when discussing whether a version of CPS (such as 10.5) will program a radio or not.

John Rayfield, Jr.

OK thanks. I thought about that.
Just not worth it for me to go into MOL and grab the latest and greatest for somebody else's radio.
I'm happy with 10.5 in my radios, at least for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.