BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallascowboys

What is a good range to set for this scanner ? I Live in Dothan Alabama Houston County I have watched the videos on range but for some reason I am only hearing my local county, can you help ?

THANK YOU HAVE A GREAT Memorial Day

THANK YOU TO ALL VETERANS and MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
Range

It's a pretty subjective question...depends what you want to hear and where you are relative to other systems.

Read section of rewritten manual:here

Mine is usually on 1 mile or zero.

safetyobc

typically a handheld scanner with supplied antenna is not going to pick up signals a long way off. Usually within 20 to 30 miles at best on VHF and closer on 800 MHz. You can improve on that by getting a band specific antenna.

If you set the range to 30 miles, it will select all of your selected items within those zip codes. So if you set it 30 miles and you happen to be within 30 miles of a lot of zip codes, it will load items you will never hear. I would probably stick with less than 20.

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I believe adjusting the range controls what signals you hear is based on the circle of signal around the transmitting site, not what zip code is used. So if a town is 100 miles away, with one transmitter that has a range of 50 miles, setting range to 50 miles will include that frequency.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Also make sure you have your service types selected for what you want to hear. You can have range perfect but if you don't have ALL the service type you want checked off you'll pick up little to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.