Wideband Antenna?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey
I need an Antenna for my Rooftop. But which one? An Discone?
Thanks

Your_account

Banned
the ST-2 have an huge Gap how about ST-4?
Is there an Problem when i want to receive for example 220mhz (DMR+ Radio)?
Is an single Band Antenna better for the reception?

Aero125

Of course an antenna tuned for a certain band is better than a wideband all range antenna. Whether the channel you want to hear is DMR, analog, P25 etc., is irrelevant, its the frequency that matters.

The trade off between a wide coverage and single band antenna is the decision to make based on what you listen to.

The ST-2 will be decent for 220 just as it is other bands, it's just not tuned specially for it.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I've read some comments here on RR where people have found the OmniX antenna from DP Productions to out perform the ST2 as well as several discone models:

DPD Productions - Scanner, Aviation, NOAA, Low-Band, 700 MHz Public Safety, Base & Mobile Radio Antennas for Commercial & Hobbyist Applications

The ST2 might be better on VHF-Lo band, but above 118 MHz it sounds like the OmniX edges it out. Also there have been more than a few reports of the ST2 being damaged in windstorms, more so than any other antenna design I'm aware of.

I'm currently using a discone, but have an OmniX on order, as well as a 50' section of LMR-400 UltraFlex coax with the appropriate connectors installed. I'll report back here how it compares to the discone once I have it set up. In the past I used a 2-meter Yagi, which worked very well for VHF, but not surprisingly was a poor performer on UHF and 800 MHz. The discone has been a much better performer on those bands but hopefully the OmniX will be even better.

<edited to change 6-meter to 2-meter>

Your_account

Banned
Are there some European Brands?
The the Tax and Fee for import are extreme hight.
The trade off between a wide coverage and single band antenna is the decision to make based on what you listen to.
there is nothing specal.
For example the have an DAB+ Test Area here.
I need something wideband >137Mhz - < 800 (after that the Cellphone Network Frequency start.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Reporting back on the DPD Omni-X. I've had it up since yesterday afternoon, and my first impression is that it is at best only marginally better than the discone it replaced. It seems slightly better on 800 MHz, however I have the proper connectors on each end of the coax for the Omni-X, so that could be helping (had PL-259 connectors with adapters on the discone's coax). The Omni is maybe a bit worse on UHF, but the jury is still out on that. It might be a bit better on VHF-Hi, but we've got some good tropo conditions here right now, so the reception improvement I'm hearing could be down to that. I haven't tried it on VHF-Lo, or VHF Air Band, so I can't comment on those. Basically if I didn't know any better, and someone told me I still had my discone hooked up, I would have no reason to doubt them. This is with the Omni mounted on the same metal mast, at the same height as the discone was (about 30' above ground) and using similar LMR-400 UF equivalent coax. The weaker systems I'm monitoring are between 30 and 60 miles distant, most on VHF-Hi, a few on UHF. The 800 systems I monitor are local or in neighboring counties, but one of those is still so bad I don't usually scan it. The Omni didn't help much with that one, unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice antenna — it's very well made, well packaged, with good instructions. Certainly well-worth what you pay for it. It's also a little more 'stealth' than a discone, and I think it likely presents a little less wind surface vs. the discone.
If I had it all to do over, would I buy it instead of a discone? — Yes.
If I already had a discone, would I replace it with the Omni-X? — No. Unless stealth was important.

Hope that helps.

Your_account

Banned
The huge Problem are the hight Custom and Shipping Fees.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The huge Problem are the hight Custom and Shipping Fees.

Have you made any effort to locate any European manufacturers or distributors of antennas? Most of the folks here are in North America. A Google search on, say, discone antenna manufacturers is going to primarily direct me to North American based distributors.

There's little knowledge here of what's available locally in your part of the world. You are your own best resource.

It's either that or, "Suck it up, Cupcake, pay the fees".

Your_account

Banned
"Suck it up, Cupcake, pay the fees".
That mean the Antenna cost 50% more.
~300&#8364; for an "easy" Antenna are huge money. (Product + Shipping Cost = + 20% Tax! + Import Fee + whatever... = huge Money).

I dont know any (good) Antenna Manufactures who sell Antenna who life long.

Your_account

Banned
yes that is what i mean... US Products may be good but the Tax and other Jokes make it 50% more expensive....
Thats why the most People book a cheap flight come with Handlugage and fly home with a new Bag full of Cloth and other Stuff. (Its insane how cheap the Brands are in the US!)
30$ for original Brand Snakers. For that we get in Europe only fake from the Vietnamese Market.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Surely there must be companies in Europe selling discone type scanner antennas. That's a proven design that has been around for many, many years, if not decades. Radio Shack sells a discone, do they have a presence in Europe? Or are their shipping/import prices reasonable? Also, European companies selling ham radio gear may sell discone type antennas.

Your_account

Banned
The point is the most Company sell the Amateur Product with a 100% - 200% surcharge.

KB6KGX

Banned
Hey
I need an Antenna for my Rooftop. But which one? An Discone?
Thanks

That would depend on what your listening needs are. If the bulk of what you want to listen to are within the standard four bands (30-50, 150-170, 450-512 and 800), you&#8217;d be better off with an antenna specifically &#8220;tuned&#8221; for those bands. Personally, I&#8217;d get an antenna like that, rather than a discone, as a &#8220;tune&#8221; antenna will generally have better performance and higher &#8220;gain&#8221; than a &#8220;wide-band&#8221; antenna.

Edit: after posting this, I read the earlier comments and realized that my answer had already been suggested by several others. Apologies for the redundancy of my answer).

Your_account

Banned
i cant mount 100x Antenna thats the Problem.
2x ADSB
1x ACARS
1x PMR
and 1 for other.
136 - 500Mhz is the Goal.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The point is the most Company sell the Amateur Product with a 100% - 200% surcharge.

Sounds like your options are limited, then...

1. Pay the surcharge
2. Find a local vendor - WE can't help you on this side of the pond
3. Build one yourself
4. Give up, and take up stamp collecting.

Seriously, we offer suggestions, and it keeps coming back to the cost. No one can help you with that, you need to pay the cost. I'm sorry that your situation is that way, but it is what it is. Whining about it here isn't going to fix it.

My last suggestion to you is to scour the internet for a European forum like this one, where the folks are more familiar with the European markets for such things. Like I said before, most of us here are in North America, and again, WE can't help you.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If it's so expensive to ship, how about making your own? The net is awash with all sorts of plans. Don't overlook amateur radio antennas - with a little math, they can often do the job as well....Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.