Not picking up any traffic in Vernal, Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonicaW

I searched (maybe I'm searching the wrong term cause I can't imagine I am the only one with this problem) & didn't find an answer so I decided to go ahead & start a thread.

I have used scanners in the past & never had any issues, but I recently purchased a table top model & after programming in channels given to me by the local radio shack, at first I got traffic, not as much as I expected but some & now I'm only picking up traffic once every few days. I know that can't be right cause I live in a descent size town & I'm not even getting police coming on & off duty. I get a little traffic ever couple/few days that is quick enough that I don't even hear what it is.

I have adjusted the squelch to every setting possible so that's not it. I'm at a loss so I thought I'd find a good radio forum & ask people who actually know. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much every one!

Oh, I am using a Radio Shack PRO-650 200-Channel Desktop Radio Scanner. I live in Vernal, Utah in Uintah County. There's definitely traffic out there, LOL!

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I'll start off by saying, I am not familiar with that scanner model, but I'd check & verify that the bank or system didn't get locked out by accident. Also check that the attenuator (if the radio has that option) hasn't been turned on.

This link, Uintah County, Utah (UT) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference , is a listing from the radio reference database. There may be more frequencies, especially if you included state police, but this should be the minimum for your county/city.

Also, I'd recommend posting in the Utah section on farther down the page. You may find some region specific information that will help out.

Jeff.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The first thing to try when scanner reception is questionable, is a weather service search. Most areas can receive at least one weather transmitter and sometimes more.

If weather cannot be received, then a defective scanner is likely.

MonicaW

Response to replies

My heck, I just barely got an e-mail notification that I had any replies. Thanks everyone who replied!

Ok so as far as the antenna goes MichaelE, it's just the antenna that came with it, which is just a screw-in antenna like on any radio in the olden days (cause you know, we don't see them much anymore with technology being what it is). I hadn't thought of getting an external antenna, so maybe that is something I need to look in to. Anyone have a reference you could point out to show me where I would want to start with an external antenna?

So I do have the list for the local frequencies & my husband programmed those in when we got it. I just did the PD, Sheriff, Jail (only because my daughter is a jailer, so I can hear if something serious happens), ambulance & Search & Rescue. However, I was picking up walkie-talkie traffic & was blocking them out when I did, using the "L/O RVW" button as instructed in the user's manual. I was thinking maybe somehow I blocked more than just that particular frequency when I did, so I was looking to reset it back to factory defaults but I can't find how to do that in the manual (attaching the manual in case anyone might care to look as well in case I am just missing it for some reason?). If anyone knows how to, I'd appreciate the help.

So our population as of this year, our population is actually 34,524. In addition to that, we are a tourist town (Dinosaurland, Utah) so in the summer months the population is much more. I don't think it's a problem with there not being any traffic. I used to pick up more & I also used to hear when officers would come on & off of duty. I'm not getting that anymore. I know we have 20-25 officers not including Highway Patrol, 4 ambulances, all of the jail traffic etc. I just don't think it's possible we have that little traffic. I have posted in local FB groups looking for anyone else locally who listens to a scanner to see if I can find someone & find out how much traffic they're picking up. If I can find someone, that will be invaluable. I'm sure there's people in the groups that do listen.

I will go ahead & put this in the Utah forum as well. If I'm not allowed to have it in both, admin please let me know or just delete this one. I'll try the weather too, thanks for that suggestion ofd8001.

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate your feedback.

Attachments

• scanner manual.pdf
    862.4 KB · Views: 183

MonicaW

I posted this in the general scanning discussion & someone said I needed to post it here, so I am. :)

I searched (maybe I'm searching the wrong term cause I can't imagine I am the only one with this problem) & didn't find an answer so I decided to go ahead & start a thread.

I have used scanners in the past & never had any issues, but I recently purchased a table top model & after programming in channels given to me by the local radio shack, at first I got traffic, not as much as I expected but some & now I'm only picking up traffic once every few days. I know that can't be right cause I live in a descent size town & I'm not even getting police coming on & off duty. I get a little traffic ever couple/few days that is quick enough that I don't even hear what it is.

I have adjusted the squelch to every setting possible so that's not it. I'm at a loss so I thought I'd find a good radio forum & ask people who actually know. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much every one!

Oh, I am using a Radio Shack PRO-650 200-Channel Desktop Radio Scanner. I live in Vernal, Utah in Uintah County. There's definitely traffic out there, LOL!

-------------------

There were replies & then this is my reply to those:

My heck, I just barely got an e-mail notification that I had any replies. Thanks everyone who replied!

Ok so as far as the antenna goes MichaelE, it's just the antenna that came with it, which is just a screw-in antenna like on any radio in the olden days (cause you know, we don't see them much anymore with technology being what it is). I hadn't thought of getting an external antenna, so maybe that is something I need to look in to. Anyone have a reference you could point out to show me where I would want to start with an external antenna?

So I do have the list for the local frequencies & my husband programmed those in when we got it. I just did the PD, Sheriff, Jail (only because my daughter is a jailer, so I can hear if something serious happens), ambulance & Search & Rescue. However, I was picking up walkie-talkie traffic & was blocking them out when I did, using the "L/O RVW" button as instructed in the user's manual. I was thinking maybe somehow I blocked more than just that particular frequency when I did, so I was looking to reset it back to factory defaults but I can't find how to do that in the manual (attaching the manual in case anyone might care to look as well in case I am just missing it for some reason?). If anyone knows how to, I'd appreciate the help.

So our population as of this year, is actually 34,524. In addition to that, we are a tourist town (Dinosaurland, Utah) so in the summer months the population is much more. I don't think it's a problem with there not being any traffic, I hear sirens all of the time but no traffic to go along with the sirens. I used to pick up more & I also used to hear when officers would come on & off of duty. I'm not getting that anymore. I know we have 20-25 officers not including Highway Patrol, 4 ambulances, all of the jail traffic etc. I just don't think it's possible we have that little traffic. I have posted in local FB groups looking for anyone else locally who listens to a scanner to see if I can find someone & find out how much traffic they're picking up. If I can find someone, that will be invaluable. I'm sure there's people in the groups that do listen.

Also, it might help to mention that the only agency that has gone to digital here locally is the BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs), so that is not the issue.

I will go ahead & put this in the Utah forum as well. If I'm not allowed to have it in both, admin please let me know or just delete this one. I'll try the weather too, thanks for that suggestion ofd8001.

Attachments

• scanner manual.pdf
    862.4 KB · Views: 2,464

MonicaW

Response to replies

So our population as of this year, is actually 34,524. In addition to that, we are a tourist town (Dinosaurland, Utah) so in the summer months the population is much more. I don't think it's a problem with there not being any traffic, I hear sirens all of the time but no traffic to go along with the sirens. I used to pick up more & I also used to hear when officers would come on & off of duty. I'm not getting that anymore. I know we have 20-25 officers not including Highway Patrol, 4 ambulances, all of the jail traffic etc. I just don't think it's possible we have that little traffic. I have posted in local FB groups looking for anyone else locally who listens to a scanner to see if I can find someone & find out how much traffic they're picking up. If I can find someone, that will be invaluable. I'm sure there's people in the groups that do listen.

Also, it might help to mention that the only agency that has gone to digital here locally is the BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs), so that is not the issue.

Attachments

• scanner manual.pdf
    862.4 KB · Views: 1,050

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Threads merged.

Please ask a Mod to move your thread next time. Use the triangle with an exclamation mark in it in the top right of your post and ask that it be moved.

Easier to keep track and it won't get you an infraction for cross-posting.

Thanks!

atech

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack Pro-650 problem

Hi,

Your scanner will only hear these bands!

Frequencies covered:
26-54MHz VHF Lo
108-136.99166MHz Aircraft
137-174MHz VHF Hi
380-512 UHF Bands

Most traffic went to the 800 Mhz trunked Utah Communications Authority! You should hear some aircraft / weather / and the forest service. You might also try UHP mobile extender. One freq for that is 155.6250 mhz
That is the south area as I am in st george.. Most agencies have switched OFF the old vhf systems going to the 800 mhz.. I hope this helps you out!

Atech

MonicaW

Do you mean by that they've gone digital? If so, the only agency that has gone digital is the BIA. If you mean something else, maybe dumb it down, LOL! I'm a radio newbie. Thank you for your help!

atech

Premium Subscriber
not digital yet

I mean they went to 800 mhz and your scanner won`t go there! (it won`t program those freqs) Look at the utah comm authority at the bottom of the freq listings for the link in the data base! That should open your eye`s! What I am saying is you need a (trunking 800 mhz scanner).. That also works on the new re-banded 800 mhz trunking systems!
Scanners like the uniden BCD 15 XT / 396XT / or the 996XT or maybe the uniden HP-1 (home patrol)..

Be aware! Some of the (older) 800 Mhz trunking scanners will program the freq.. But they WON`T follow the talk groups (voice) for an agency! That`s because of the FCC re-banding of the 800 Mhz trunked freqs.. You need to read about trunking and scanning. Its in the data base.

If you buy a new scanner you might as well buy one that hears P-25 Digital. As most radio systems are headed that way around the country!

Hope this helps!

Atech

AD7ZW

Look @ the database listing for Uintah County. It is curent as far as i know nothing major has changed since the area went narrowband. If you need more help or info PM me. I am extremly familar with public safety radio in the area. I'm 60 miles to the west of you in Altamont. 800 is almost non existant in the area VHF/UHF is alive & well.

AD7ZW

AD7ZW

Looked at the Database. Here are the Channels you want to program in your scanner. Uintah Law, Uintah Pagers, Uintah EMS (Gold Cross Ambulance), UintahBasnEMS. Then under Utah Department of Public Safety in the statewide listings you will want to add Statewide & UHP Car 3. Also from the statewide listings select Utah State Repeater System & add Asphalt Ridge. With the exception of the Dinosaur Monument & BIA that will cover Uintah County. You might also look at adding Roosevelt PD from Duchesne County. If your interested in listening to the wildland fire crews this summer look @ the federal listings for the Ashley National Forest and add Little Mtn. I would also add Blue Mtn. from the BLM listing.
If you have questions or need more information PM me & i will see what i can do to help.

AD7ZW

MonicaW

Thanks for all of the information everyone! Looks like I have the wrong scanner :-( Are handhelds just as good as table top scanners?

AD7ZW

There is nothing wrong with the scanner you currently have for where you live the scanner covers everything you need. 800 is almost non existant i know of 3 channels that are 800 & they are all patched to the wasatch front. Even with a digital scanner you will not be able to listen to BIA in addition to being P25 digital they run encryption fulltime. The channels i listed earlier cover the vernal area & are the one's you will be able to hear without an external antenna. PM me & i can try to help you

AD7ZW

MonicaW

I'm just so confused. I have people telling me I need the P-25 scanner & others saying I can use the one I have, so I'm sooo confused. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.