How to Mute Speaker while Broadcasting Feed over Wi-Fi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9NEG

Got my feed working great (audio and data) over Wi-Fi (boy, does it sound good, and the tags are synced much better!), but how do I mute the onboard speaker while broadcasting via the dongle? I have to run the scanner volume at 20 even with 15dB boost in RadioFeed, so it's too loud for the surrounding environment and I'd rather silence it entirely, anyhow.

Thanks,
KC9NEG

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't know anything about setting up a feed such as you have, so this is merely a guess. Would plugging in a set of headphones in the headphone jack be a solution, or perhaps a plug of the correct size?

Thanks for being one of those who provide feeds - you make a tremendous contribution to the hobby!

KC9NEG

You're welcome... whatever I plug into either jack needs to have a ground loop isolator (isolation transformer)--simply a quark of this particular radio. I'm hoping for something like a setting option--quick look turned up nothing so I'm hoping I simply missed it.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If the feed is getting audio through the WiFi link, then just turn down the volume on the scanner.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
For now, I plugged an audio isolation transformer into the external speaker jack... is there a more elegant solution?

If you are using WIFI for both audio and METADATA you don't need an audio cord. But then I am use to ProScan and I think RADIO FEED is the same. Also, with WIFI audio the VOLUME control does not changed the feed volume.

KC9NEG

Well I'll be darned... I don't know how I managed to convince myself the scanner volume mattered. Old habits die hard. Gotta say, Paul, that the 536 is now a feed provider's dream machine. I'm very pleased with the radio. Do have a listen if you get the chance; not sure how many feeds are streaming audio and tags via dongle but it sure works well. I've had a couple RadioFeed glitches (exceptions), but I think they were related to my power settings and the PC sleeping. The radio is kick-butt... keep up the good work!

KC9NEG

If you are using WIFI for both audio and METADATA you don't need an audio cord. But then I am use to ProScan and I think RADIO FEED is the same.

Thanks... I only had the transformer plugged in with nothing connected to the output side. As Paul said, however, I just turned the scanner down and the audio level didn't change (oops!).. Old dog, new tricks!

Status
Not open for further replies.