436 p25 motorboating

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynzoid

Hello.
I was on 1.02.03 fw for a long time (thanks to info in this forum), as it gave me no motorboating whatsoever on mixed mode non-trunked systems. None.

Now, with new FW i get a LOT of motorboating on same system. Adjusting wait time, threshold, threshold mode does almost nothing.
I did tune threshold manually (it's 9-10 on this system).
Still, motorboating persists and gets past 'wait time' (even when set at 1000ms).

I hear, auto-treshold mode is broken?
What can be recommended in this case (short of flashing back)?
Thanks

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
After updating my 436 my reception of p25 sites got better not worse left on auto.
After updating my 536 my reception of p25 sites got better not worse left on auto.
Most people on here have said they get better p25 on auto now than before the update. I have read very few post just 2 or 3 that have said it was worse after the update. I have the TACN, MOSWIN, Dyersburg Public Safety, The KPS all in my 436 and 536 and have no problems with p25 audio as long as I am not out of range. If I have 1 bar I will see some audio problems if I have 2 bars or more I have no problems.

XTS3000

If your frequency or TalkGroup is P25, strap it digital only. Once I did that on the 436 (and 396XT), I never heard anymore motorboating. Most freqs or TG's are either analog or digital, not both, so strapping it to its correct receive mode helps big time.

lynzoid

It's in mixed mode all of the time. Simple repeater. Both analog and p25 users. It's not a trunked site.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What's strap it mean.... lol

Voyager

It means to set it to only that.

Strapped Digital = Digital only
Strapped Analog = Analog only

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I am aware of that i was just pointing out to xts3000 that he is talking in motorola terms

lynzoid

Going off topic here... I think mostly everybody understood my problem.
Again, NOT trunked, NOT tg, just Mixed-mode repeater (it let's thru whatever is broadcasted to it's input freq).
Many users. Some analog, some digital, some mixed-mode capable (digital receive-analog transmit).

Motorboats a lot (like a young Danny McBride motorboated his mother's teats). Solution? If analog users 'd use ctcss or dcs - i could've created two channels. One 'strapped' digital only, other analog+ctcss. But no ctcss code for analog users and open NAC for digitals (293).

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have both mixed trunked and mixed p25 repeaters p25 simplex channels you would be better off making channels for each of the analog users and make channels for all your p25 users other wise the scanner has to listen to each transmission and chose what to do with it decode it p25 of decode the analog tones. You may be better off using an old PRO-2096 to receive the way you are using the scanner.

lynzoid

I have old PSR-500 and it was always struggling on these channels too. But mostly missed transmissions instead of motorboating getting thru to speaker.
When i had flashed 436 with 1.02.03 i was sooo glad that it was finally resolved. It handled this channel beautifully. Never heard m-b.
So that got me somewhat disappointed in latest FW, that brought Danny McBride's youth back...

Status
Not open for further replies.