Strange activity, Military? on 26.920mhz wide FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

prc117f

I would hear someone say Redpoint Redpoint message follows, then what is an alphanumeric code
he speaks the message and its 5 different alphanumeric codes.

so far this is the 4th day I have been hearing this stuff.

What could it be?

mancow

Database Admin
I would hear someone say Redpoint Redpoint message follows, then what is an alphanumeric code

What could it be?

Where are you? US? What State?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...Redpoint Redpoint message follows, then what is an alphanumeric code

A few more thoughts about this...

Watch the movie Failsafe, or at least read the Wikipedia synopsis of it. Since I'm not paying attention to such things, I don't know if we still do it, but we probably at least practice...

...We used to keep bombers in the air at all times. They would scramble and fly to a predetermined point. At that point, what's supposed to happen is a code is sent to the bomber crew with mission abort instructions. Those instructions were sent via several redundant means, including coded voice messages sent via HF SSB circuits.

Those voice messages sounded exactly like what you're hearing.

As a kid, I could dial up a few known frequencies around 9 and 11 MHz, and almost any day hear things like that. I also heard McClellan AFB making similar transmissions, as well as March AFB a few times. Most of the time it was a code word used as a callsign, so I had no idea who it was. When the band was open, I'd hear the same message repeated out several times over several different transmitters, some strong, some weak and fluttery from multiple hop skip. They definately wanted their message to be heard.

Presumably, if the abort codes didn't reach their destination, the bomber crews would open up the sealed orders of the day carried by the flight crew, and carry out the orders.

I suspect most of the time the coded message is dull routine stuff. But we're not supposed to know either way.

kma371

QRT
A few more thoughts about this...

Watch the movie Failsafe, or at least read the Wikipedia synopsis of it. Since I'm not paying attention to such things, I don't know if we still do it, but we probably at least practice...

...We used to keep bombers in the air at all times. They would scramble and fly to a predetermined point. At that point, what's supposed to happen is a code is sent to the bomber crew with mission abort instructions. Those instructions were sent via several redundant means, including coded voice messages sent via HF SSB circuits.

Those voice messages sounded exactly like what you're hearing.

As a kid, I could dial up a few known frequencies around 9 and 11 MHz, and almost any day hear things like that. I also heard McClellan AFB making similar transmissions, as well as March AFB a few times. Most of the time it was a code word used as a callsign, so I had no idea who it was. When the band was open, I'd hear the same message repeated out several times over several different transmitters, some strong, some weak and fluttery from multiple hop skip. They definately wanted their message to be heard.

Presumably, if the abort codes didn't reach their destination, the bomber crews would open up the sealed orders of the day carried by the flight crew, and carry out the orders.

I suspect most of the time the coded message is dull routine stuff. But we're not supposed to know either way.

Yes those are EAM you are describing. Emergency Action Messages.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Here are the main HF EAM freqs in KHz: All USB (upper sideband): 4724, 6739, 8992, 11175, 13200, 15016.
Rich - Reading, PA
N3VMY
KAG 0096

BaofengScanner

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Maybe a CBer on his Lower "extra" channels lol I listen to these guys all the time on 25 and 26 as well. All sorts of random crazy chatter.

autovon

Ø
Several web sites list it, here is one: Travis Air Force Base code and information

I also see a frequency of 28.557MHz listed so maybe its a typo (269.2MHz?) that propagated to several different sites.
prcguy
Very unlikely the PTD and Metro at Travis (and elsewhere) is on HF and in FM. They are just about all on UHF AM, aside from some Army fields. Plus, a radio that will do FM on HF won't be found in any of the common military aircraft. Typo is the best explanation.

prc117f

I am in south Florida. The frequency is 26.920 they were using the nato phonetic. It kind of sounded like an eam.

Weird they would use fm though. I caught it around the same times around 7 pm est

Hooligan

What could it be?

Are you getting any CTCSS on it? How about recording that freq for a full week, & uploading the recording for us?

Could be anything -- smugglers, fishermen, military, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.