New St Tammany system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technoguy58

Here is a link to an article from the New Orleans Times Picayune about the new radio communications system build out for St Tammany parish. If you read the article carefully, it appears that St Tammany is building out a new P25 system that is going to be linked in to LWIN. Not actually on LWIN itself. I think it is interesting that now they say they will have total interop between all first responders and PD's as well as schools in the parish. Like as if they could not have everybody on the same page presently with the EDACS system in place now. EDACS radios could have been installed in schools all along. Slidell could have been on the S.O.'s EDACS system long ago I wonder if Slidell is going to make the jump. I'm really curious as to why the parish does not want to piggy back onto LWIN proper. It seems to work fine for others. I have friend that is a deputy in Tangipahoa parish and he tells me that for the most part, LWIN works great.

450-foot tower completed for St. Tammany Parish communications system | NOLA.com

In my lowly opinion, politicians constantly sell us a bill of goods that we don't need.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
EDACS is being discontinued by Harris. It will no longer be supported after next year. As to why they wish to have their own system that technically will be LWIN as it will be linked in, they want to maintain control over the system. This will be more expensive, as they will have to pay their own fees to Motorola etc... But there are other examples of Municipalities that have to be the big dogs. When the system comes online, we will know a lot more about it by its SysID etc as to if it truly is its own thing, or an LWIN Simulcast site. It could be an LWIN site, but the ownership still technically St. Tamm's on paper. Such as with the Jefferson Parish, City of New Orleans and other parts of LWIN. They are LWIN, but on paper still their own system. like here in IN, Hamilton County technically has its own system on paper, but is in fact part of the Indianapolis DPS TRS. If St. Tamm has its own core for the system, and its own unique System ID, then it will be its own true system. But if the system shows an LWIN ID, then it will just be an on paper ownership.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
That confirms it IS an LWIN simulcast set up. Big simulcast at that.

pinkfish457

The new tower is 12 miles NW from my house. I'm using an multi-band omni-directional antenna now. Can I still use this type? If not what do you suggest.

KD5PCK posted a video from a local TV station. There is a shot in that video taken from the top of the tower, neat.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
As long as they don't encrypt everything, you should be able to monitor fine. Also you will now have much better reception of the LWIN in general.. Except for one thing... Multipath Distortion. Remember, there are now going to be at least 9 sites in this simulcast site. If your very close to one of the 9 you should be ok... Otherwise you will need an yagi antenna play with the attenuation settings, or find another trick. Once the simulcast is running, you will know for sure.

kd5pck

Attached a picture of the new antenna installed on units. I was told by the driver of this unit that they are online on the LWIN system and are currently using it as a backup.

Attachments

• IMAG0925.jpg
    IMAG0925.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 327

shaneo

Lwin

St Tammany is going on the same system Jefferson parish is using digital encryption by tomba communication

pinkfish457

St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Office

As I type this I am monitoring the STPSO EDACS96 transmissions, loud and in the clear. I have tried for several days to find them on LWIN, but I have yet to find a talkgroup or control channel from the Lacombe tower. If anyone has their control channel please post it. The only active LWIN control channel I can find is 769.34375, which I don't believe is from the Lacombe tower.

The Slidell PD is also loud and in the clear. I live about 1 mile from their tower on 3rd st.

As soon as any of this changes, I'll post it.

pinkfish457

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
They did not. STP is now joining the LWIN. SPD switching like now? SO will be encrypted.

mbtech22

Hey Technoguy. I recently decided to get back into the scanning world after many years. And as technology goes, it has changed quite a bit. Currently, I have a RadioShack Pro-95 scanner which I'm starting to learn might be completely useless. I live here in St. Tammany and not quite sure if I can use this scanner with our system. Can you help me figure out if this Pro-95 will work, and if it needs to be modified in anyway? Otherwise, what scanner could I purchase which will work here in the Parish?

-MB

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
The 95 is not able to do 700 MHz, P25, and is useless on the LWIN. Time to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.