"Squawking Company"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFD4305

Like everyone who knows enough to find this forum, I understand the basics of transponders. I'm familiar with ATC-assigned flight-specific codes and emergency codes. But I've recently heard frequent references by aircraft to "squawking company." What does that mean?
TIA

AirScan

But I've recently heard frequent references by aircraft to "squawking company." What does that mean?

In over 30 years flying and monitoring I've never heard anyone say "squawking company" ? Can you provide more context, location, aircraft type ?

Like everyone who knows enough to find this forum, I understand the basics of transponders. I'm familiar with ATC-assigned flight-specific codes and emergency codes. But I've recently heard frequent references by aircraft to "squawking company." What does that mean?
TIA

Ill take a wild guess and say your were probably hearing a Customs aircraft on a CBP channel. They often say this and it is a reference to special codes used by CBP when on operational missions when they don't want to say the code over then air.

I don't think I have ever heard them say that on ATC.

majoco

Stirrer
Easy. Do it all the time here. Each flight over the same route every day has been allocated the same squawk which corresponds to the flight number, often the last three numbers. No need for ATC to tell the copilot on the pre-flight what the squawk code is - the copilot knows, ATC knows and he just says 'squawking the agreed code between you and our ops people" AKA "squawking company".

AirScan

ATC knows and he just says 'squawking the agreed code between you and our ops people" AKA "squawking company".

In New Zealand do they actually use the phraseology "squawking company" ? Or is it standard practice to read back the actual code (number) ? When would you typically have to give ATC your squawk code anyway ?

I know in some countries ATC will ask you to confirm your squawk code on initial contact airborne, in North America operating IFR the only time you typically would have to read back a squawk code is when getting your initial clearance before departure.

Last edited:

ab3a

Easy. Do it all the time here. Each flight over the same route every day has been allocated the same squawk which corresponds to the flight number, often the last three numbers. No need for ATC to tell the copilot on the pre-flight what the squawk code is - the copilot knows, ATC knows and he just says 'squawking the agreed code between you and our ops people" AKA "squawking company".

Does that mean all flight numbers in NZ are in octal?

majoco

Stirrer
Does that mean all flight numbers in NZ are in octal?

"Corresponds" to the flight number, not "is" the flight number. If the flight number is something with an 8 or 9 in it then obviously the squawk won't be the flight number.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I did a careful Google search of the term "squawk company" and similar, and found precious few returns. Virtually all of them were contained in documents relating to either military or Border Patrol operations.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Here In Southern California, presumably in part due to the KLAX Class B airspace, most, if not all fire and law aircraft have common discrete squaws. I usually see either 42XX or 43XX.
I also see the FBI company and CPB 44XX squawks as well.

D

DaveNF2G

There might be some regional blocks allocated, but any aircraft leaving that region must have a code that is not duplicated in whatever part of the system they might be flying. As far as anyone has been able to determine, except for the special 7xxx codes, there are no universally allocated squawk codes. (There is 1200 for VFR, but nowadays even VFR aircraft squawk many different codes.)

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
FBI "company" codes

Other feds use 44##

I assume by "Other feds use 44##" you mean other fed law enforcement feds. I can't vouch for military aircraft but I know the R&D aircraft here at the FAA Tech Center in Egg Harbor Twp. NJ and the FAA flight inspection aircraft nation wide use the squawk codes assigned by ATC.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
Last edited:

ericcarlson

Database Admin
I'm not sure on the CBP ranges, but I have seen them use 4410, so that may be "company 10" if they're using the lower 44xx federal law enforcement range. I've also seen 4404 for CBP.

Last edited:

freqhopping

In the DC area DHS uses 4401-4409 or so. With the last number corresponding to the suffix of Omaha-X.

And then there are the usable medevac flights with fixed codes.
Aircare1=5201
Aircare2=5202
Aircare3=5203
Aircare4=5204
Fairfax Co PD helo is always 0271.
Other medevacs are also in the 52xx range when in the DC area.

Status
Not open for further replies.