Down at Shore Hotel/Motels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

I been going down to the Wildwoods for many years and favorite pass time is sitting on the deck searching the air waves of course.

One thing noticed almost every year since we been going down the Motel/Hotel resorts do not really license them self with the FCC, those that use two way radios, some found using mostly VHF 151.520 also the MURS frequencies.

Just curious as to being a busy resort area why its not enforced for them to license use or guessing it may be under a corporate name out of state, doing FCC Search dont always find anything in the state as well so my guess would be unlicensed user..

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Possibilities:

Licensed to a parent company.

Licensed to a different name (hotel changed name, license never updated)

Licensed to a radio shop.

Licensed to owners name.

License long since expired.
a. the guy who originally did it quit/left/was fired/died/skipped town, etc.

No license. Never was, never will be. "Bought some "cool looking radios" online, so it must be OK....."
a. It's a "CB" so we don't need a license" (even thought it isn't).
b. "Guy on the internet said we didn't need one".
c. "I don't like the government so I'm not going to follow the rules."
d. "kid working at walmart told me I didn't need a license".
e. "because *&$#@ you"

Radio shop told them they didn't need a license. The "just buy some radios" approach.

Radio shop took the money for getting them the license, pocketed it, never applied for license. The "just give me the money" approach.

Probably a few other good excuses.

FCC doesn't seem to have the time, manpower or interest in busting unlicensed users. They usually wait for someone to complain enough before they'll start looking. The days of the FCC driving around in vans looking for people to bust are long since over.

Steveradio

Ya its amazing the activity and even a few repeaters cant seem to track down owners for, noticed FCC does phone or letter enforcement if you call in but other wise they call the person anymore and say hey this is your warning get licensed or you may be fined.

Even the local cab company license think last checked expired.

Analogrules

Yeah, I rarely find motel/hotel licenses in the FCC database. However, I encourage you to submit all confirmed information to this DB. Just about all hotels I've been to seem to use the common business frequencies that do not require a license. I don't blame them since they really don't need anything fancy just to cover the hotel grounds. Some larger hotels, like the Sheridan in Weehawken use repeater systems and are licensed. (I recently submitted this new find to the DB, but hasn't been approved yet). I am going away to a resort in St Thomas which hires security guards, however cannot find a license for them either. Hopefully I can close-call their frequency while there.

Status
Not open for further replies.