• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

200+ Channel NXDN Capable Radios To Monitor Railroads

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloridaRailRoadRadio

Duplicate Account
Banned
Hi all, new member here seeking some advice, since all the railroads appear to be transitioning to the NXDN protocol which Kenwood & Icom Radios support, I've been looking at the 128 channel Icom ICF-5121D mobile & Icom ICF-3161DT/T portable however the new AAR railroad bandplan consist of 197 frequencies, the clean cab radios contain the entire AAR railroad bandplan but they don't scan so that's a dealbreaker, anybody know of any NXDN capable radios with at least 200 channel capability that I may have overlooked & how much they cost? Any help would be greatly appreciated & thanks all.

cabletech

First off, where do you get or see 200 channels or frequencies? The North American Railroad system to include Canada, work in the frequency range of 160.110 to 161.565 and each channel (frequency) is 15khz from each other. That comes to 97 channels.

Example: here are the first 10 channels---also know as AAR

AAR 1 1160.1100
AAR 2 160.1250
AAR 3 160.1400
AAR 4 160.1550
AAR 5 160.1700
AAR 6 160.1850
AAR 7 160.2000
AAR 8 160.2150
AAR 9 160.2300
AAR10 160.2450

Also, unless you are doing a lot of nation wide travel, why would you want to put all of the channels in a radio?

I have friends that work in the rail road system and they have been telling me that the AAR Association has not made the decision to go to NXDN or DMR but they are doing testing on those systems but as of now all frequencies are still on narrow band analog.

The Icom 3161 will do what you want to do. And it has 512 channels over 28 zones or banks if you have the display version.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hi all, new member here seeking some advice, since all the railroads appear to be transitioning to the NXDN protocol which Kenwood & Icom Radios support, I've been looking at the 128 channel Icom ICF-5121D mobile & Icom ICF-3161DT/T portable however the new AAR railroad bandplan consist of 197 frequencies, the clean cab radios contain the entire AAR railroad bandplan but they don't scan so that's a dealbreaker, anybody know of any NXDN capable radios with at least 200 channel capability that I may have overlooked & how much they cost? Any help would be greatly appreciated & thanks all.

Kenwood NX-200. 512 channels, 128 zones, the NX-700 is identical in almost every way, but in mobile form. NXDN conventional right out of the box.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Kenwood NX-200. 512 channels, 128 zones, the NX-700 is identical in almost every way, but in mobile form. NXDN conventional right out of the box.
There is a NX-200 6key portable forsale on P25.ca right now. Rapid charger, 2 or 3 antnnas and a noise cancelling speaker mic.

Edit.

It's not my radio, and I do not know the guy.

Having said that, I own a NX-200 with the noise cancelling speakermic and I love it. It has become my go to radio. Has more than enough room for EVERYTHING I listen to on VHF. Currently I use a motorola wideband VHF armpit tickler due to having my company channels(spread from 152MHz to high 173MHz), a couple of rail channels for the sub that runs through the town I live in and a bunch of ham repeaters) I do have the original Kenwood antenna, but do not really use it. Audio is loud, crisp and clear, both receive and transmit. I have even played a bit with both wide and narrow NXDN on simplex, and it sounds pretty darn good too.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Unless I'm mistaken, and that's entirely possible lol, it would seem to me that he would want to be able to scan the entire band, all channels, from end to end.

If a radio like the NX-200 divides the channels into multiple zones, can that radio scan multiple zones, like a scanner can scan banks/favorite lists (Uniden)/scanlists (GRE), or is it limited to scanning only the channels programmed into one particular zone?

I'm not familiar with professional grade radios with mulitple banks/decks/groups/zones, and what their capabilities are as far as scanning more than one b/d/g/z.

John
Peoria, AZ

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
NX-200 can have up to 250 channels per zone.

You can scan channels that are in different zones.
I'm not aware of a limitation on the number of channels that can be scanned, but it would be worth noting that the scan speed is likely less than that of a consumer scanner.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Unless I'm mistaken, and that's entirely possible lol, it would seem to me that he would want to be able to scan the entire band, all channels, from end to end.

If a radio like the NX-200 divides the channels into multiple zones, can that radio scan multiple zones, like a scanner can scan banks/favorite lists (Uniden)/scanlists (GRE), or is it limited to scanning only the channels programmed into one particular zone?

I'm not familiar with professional grade radios with mulitple banks/decks/groups/zones, and what their capabilities are as far as scanning more than one b/d/g/z.

John

Peoria, AZ

b/d/g/z? Not entirely sure what that means.

The NX-2/3/7/800 portables and mobiles are VERY flexible when it comes to scanning multiple zones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'm not aware of a limitation on the number of channels that can be scanned

How ever many channels you have in a zone can be scanned with in said zone.

but it would be worth noting that the scan speed is likely less than that of a consumer scanner.

While the NX-2/3/7/800 radios do scan slower(talking conventional only, I do not use my NX-200 or NX-700 on a LTR or NXDN trunk system) than a Uniden or GRE scanner, it is still pretty decent. I have a zone of around 55 channels and it is defiantly faster than any of my amateur radios, including my TM-V71a.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
How ever many channels you have in a zone can be scanned with in said zone.

Scan type = multi will let you scan channels from different zones. I've got the mobile in my work truck set up that way. It's scanning channels from the "work" zone as well as a few from the "amateur" zone.

While the NX-2/3/7/800 radios do scan slower(talking conventional only, I do not use my NX-200 or NX-700 on a LTR or NXDN trunk system) than a Uniden or GRE scanner, it is still pretty decent. I have a zone of around 55 channels and it is defiantly faster than any of my amateur radios, including my TM-V71a.

That's good to hear. I've never set any of my radios up with more than a few channels. I normally find constant scanning of heavy traffic channels rather tiring. That, and the only scanner I own is from the last century...

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
ICOM Radios

You are correct the IC-F5121D radio is only capable of 128 channels, but the IC-F3161D is capable of 512 channels in 128 zones, You can put all 512 channels in the same zone if you really want to.

The following ICOM IDAS/NXDN radios have a 512 CH 128 Zone capacity
Portables
IC-F3161/4161
IC-F3261/4261 - replacing the IC-F3161/4161
IC-F5061/6061

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Do the Icom's now decode 12.5KHz NXDN? Last time I took a close look at them they only did 6.25KHz.

probably not an issue, but if I was going to buy a new radio, I'd want the capability to do both. While the railroads might only plan on using 6.25, there may be other agencies you'd want to listen to who use 12.5 NXDN. Might be worth keeping your options open.

Josh

With iCom and Kenwood both selling to the railroads, and some mixed systems with NXDN already up, they must use the 6.25khz digital in order to be compatible. So really, either brand will fit the bill.

Kenwood does go above and beyond, having both digital bandwidths available, and I have been to places where the 12.5Khz NXDN was in use, but I could not listen to the communications because I "assumed" that everyone uses 6.25Khz and programmed my radio incorrectly beforehand. But that agency was a police department in a town I was staying at on a business trip, so that wasn't too bad.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
This is true, the upside either way will be

Kenwood - 12.5khz & 6.25Khz
Icom - will monitor trunking in conventional mode the Kenwood will not umute on trunking traffic

It's really up to you and what you want to do with the radio long term.

rapidcharger

Icoms are usually more budget friendly for the hobbyist. Then again VHF gear goes for crazy bucks if you want to buy used. So be careful at that action site were people sometimes spend almost as much for a used one as a new one would cost.
For mobile, 5061 or portable 3161 of 3261. All with plenty of channels and scan lists can be set up how you want. I own some of each. I wouldn't trade them for any other nxdn radios unless 9600 baud/ 12.5khz was needed.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

b/d/g/z? Not entirely sure what that means.

The NX-2/3/7/800 portables and mobiles are VERY flexible when it comes to scanning multiple zones.

bank/deck/group/zone. I didn't want to write it out twice, so I abbreviated the second time :)

Thanks all.

John
Peoria, AZ

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Kenwoods are very multi-zone scan friendly but not very multi scanlist friendly.

Yes you can have multiple scanlists in the Kenwood but you can't change them on the fly like in the ICOM.

Either way the radios will work great for Railfaning, it is just a question of weather you want it to do anything else. If not just get the radio you like and can find for a good deal.

FloridaRailRoadRadio

Duplicate Account
Banned
200+Channel NXDN Capable radios To Monitor Railroads

Thanks all for sorting this out for me, obviously Kenwood has the edge on Icom with the already in place 12.5 kHz/6.25 kHz capability, the NX-700 is a go but the NX-210K2 is the better choice over the NX-200 for me as it's keyboard is more robust, as for those who question loading the entire AAR bandplan in the radios, I like all available frequencies already loaded, best to have them & not need them instead of needing them & not having them, again, thanks all & take care.

Attachments

• NX-700 Mobile.jpg
    NX-700 Mobile.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 752
  • nx-210__58738_1330735633_1280_1280.jpg
    nx-210__58738_1330735633_1280_1280.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 740
  • kenwood_nx200_nx300 Portable.jpg
    kenwood_nx200_nx300 Portable.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 666
Status
Not open for further replies.