PSR-800 settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ND3U

Montgomery County, PA Broadcastify stream
Feed Provider
New Hanover Township, Montgomery County, PA
Ok folks I need some help. I have 2 PSR-800's and barely pick up Berks 700 mhz. One of the radios is at home attached to a Diamond discone antenna up around 30 feet. The other is in my vehicle with a 700/800mhz NMO mount antenna. I live about 5 miles east of Boyertown in MontCo. I'm a regular traveller on 422 from Limerick to KofP.

Is there anyone out there with a successful settings setup that could help me? I do pick up sporatic transmissions and when I do the signal sounds overdriven. The attentuator does little on the signal. Which part of the system has the most transmissions North or South system?

Thanks in advanced,
Brandon

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I used the "attenuator" IN the EZScan software instead of on the front scanner and it fixed a lot of the Simulcast problems I had with a 800mhz trunked system here in Chicago. This was discussed in the WS1080 forums and the Pro-668 forums
http://forums.radioreference.com/ar...o-668-not-receiving-rwc-much.html#post2360940
My photo at the LINK above in that thread * yellow marker shows attenuated at the SITE itself that caused me the biggest trouble, I also locked OUT nearby county SITES from the same SYSTEM. You could always try that type of setting in your EZScan unless THIS is what you did. Hope you get it fixed. I also now use a 700/800mhz Yagi and it's fixed everything at my apartment.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I switched my PSR-800 back to scanning Berks tonight. I usually use my HP2. Anyway, I'm still getting the Berks 700 system really good. I have the DSP setting at 155, I only use the North site, and the squelch knob is turned all the way counter clockwise. I also use the spectrum force 700 mhz antenna.

That's all I can think of setting wise. I can tell you that when testing began, I tried scanning both sites. It was nothing but trouble. Once I switched to the North site only, things got much better. I thought it was due to the fact that I am so far away up in Northampton County.

Hope something I posted helps.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I found that scanning only the trunk system and locking out the voice channels ( keeping the control channel only ) has helped a lot. This allows for the squelch to remain completely open , and no lag in recovery time. ( also using a 700/800 nmo mount)

I only keep it in my work truck because being in the Pottstown area, it will not work from my house and that's 1/2 mile from the county line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
It is extremely picky. I've tried it at home using a 14 element 700/800 yagi , pointed every which way from Sunday , attenuated , pre amped and , used a disc cone and a scan tenna and it is a no go for me here at the house.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I have a MontCo tower on the next ridge behind me and I have issues with that , even with county issued radios.

ND3U

Feed Provider
Sorry about that... Like I was saying, maybe it's me but I only pick up occassional transmissions. Usually its from up around Reading. Is the whole system not being used yet? If not, whats the problem?

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
It is in full operation. When you do hear transmissions, are they clear and not garbled ?

Try eliminating those analog frequencies you scan and see if it picks up the system better by only
Scanning the trunk system.

ND3U

Feed Provider
Funny, I dont need an antenna to pick up MontCo. I live a quarter mile from the Sassamansville tower (@ the firehouse). Is al the Berks 700mhz towers up and running? Where are the ones in the southern part of the county? Are they putting out full power?

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
You can find the tower locations on the Berks DES website and I think in the radio sop.

The only current issues I am aware of are the 8 call/ tac repeaters. Montco has all the radios programmed wrong and Berks had to do a temporary change to their transmit PL for those pairs but that's not the main system.

Back in the very beginning of the planning , it was mentioned that the bordering towers were going to be lower power so signal didn't blast into other counties but not sure if that is still the case

ND3U

Feed Provider
I have the police talkgroups locked out. The transmissions I've heard sound over-driven. Once in a while I hear a garbled transmission but you have to remember its a digital system. All or nothing with digital, just like with TV.

If all of us are having all these problems, how are things with the units that are actually using the system?

ND3U

Feed Provider
Its not the radio that counts, its the antenna. Have a lousy antenna and you might not make it out of your neighborhood. In the radio community its always the antenna and "the higher the better". But as with most UHF systems they're are line of sight, even with repeaters. 700mhz signal wont travel very far without power and antenna height. That's why the towers are up as high as they can get to overcome any obsticals.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab3 using Tapatalk

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
All the P25P2 700MHz towers in Camden Co. NJ are 300 ft or more, so the signal can overcome any obstacles with height. We have HT coverage throughout the County.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
You guys are much closer to the system than I am. I don't get it. With my HP2 and 436HP I need to use the ST-2 antenna to listen to Berks. All I need with the PSR-800 is the 700 mhz antenna. Now, I have to be in the perfect place in my house which has been the garage. I've recently found if I place the scanner on my coffee maker on the counter in the kitchen, I get good signal inside the house. It's the only other place in the house though. (BTW, this new location also allows me to get Berks with the Unidens and an RS 800 duck).

I did some more PSR-800 digging this morning. My data decode thresholds for Bucks and Berks are set at 55 low and 85 high. I had forgotten about making those changes during the testing last year. My PSR-800 has been pulling DSD+ duty for about 6 months now, so I don't open the EZScan software much.

I have never had the PSR-800 with me while in Berks. I have only used the 436HP or HP2 while going through Berks.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Its not the radio that counts, its the antenna. Have a lousy antenna and you might not make it out of your neighborhood. In the radio community its always the antenna and "the higher the better". But as with most UHF systems they're are line of sight, even with repeaters. 700mhz signal wont travel very far without power and antenna height. That's why the towers are up as high as they can get to overcome any obsticals.

I understand what you are saying , but you also have to take into consideration a radio built for a specific type of system(s) vs a scanner that has wide band coverage , easily overcome by front end overload etc. it's comparing apples to grapes.

I'm chalking it up to the bordering tower sites are a lower output and more directional than say towers in the middle of the coverage area.

When I get home , I'll have to dig up a newspaper article where it was quoted that bordering companies have or had to install VRS into the apparatus because of the lower outputs by the county lines.

ND3U

Feed Provider
Sounds like an interesting article. One would think that the company contracted to install this system would have the experience with dealing in 700mhz systems. The boardering tower sites really shouldn't have directional antennas. There are ambulance/fire units that go out of county on mutual aid assignments that might not be able to maintain radio contact with dispatch. 700mhz signals do not travel very far, just like cellphone signals. The possibility of Berks 700mhz interferring with any other system is slight at best, not to mention who would they interfer with?

Status
Not open for further replies.