Disable Bluetooth Device Monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes (but not always, which is kinda strange) the Bluetooth device monitor starts automatically when I boot my PC. The stupid thing just sits there consuming 13% of my CPU cycles even though I have NO Bluetooth devices. How can I (safely) prevent it from starting automatically at boot time? I have Windows 7.

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
If you have no device have you tried right clicking the monitor to see if there's a Close option?

Try this:

Disable Bluetooth in Windows 7 - How To

Just make sure you don't have a Bluetooth device you really don't want to disable.

You never know. :)

Thanks for the info but that didn't work. Since I don't have any Bluetooth devices, no "Bluetooth" stuff showed up on that list. The culprit is the Bluetooth Device Monitor DEVMONSRV.EXE apparently from Intel Corp. I don't want to delete or rename it because I'm afraid that might cause other software to crash if DEVMONSRV.EXE should suddenly disappear. Does anyone know how to SAFELY disable DEVMONSRV.EXE or keep it from starting automatically at startup?

Last edited:

RDGDigital

It's probably running as a Window's Service.

You can disable the Service by...

• Closing all programs
  • Click the Windows Globe in the lower left corner
  • Type Services in the "Search programs and files" dialog box and hit Enter
  • Search the list of services for the Bluetooth Device Monitor
  • Double-Click on the line item (or Right-Click and select Properties)
  • Click on the Startup Type dropdown box and select Disabled
  • Select OK
You will need to reboot your computer afterwards. If things don't work out you can undo this by repeating the above steps and setting the Startup Type back to Automatic.

Alternatively you can disable it from starting at startup by...

• Closing all programs
  • Type msconfig in the "Search programs and files" dialog box and hit Enter
  • Select the General tab, and select Normal Startup
  • Select the Startup tab
  • Find the line where DEVMONSRV.exe is and remove the check mark in the box on the left
  • Select OK

You will need to reboot your computer afterwards. If things don't work out you can undo this by repeating the above steps and adding the check mark back to the line item.

Hope this helps

CapStar362

you do realize you will have to restart it to use any BT type device, like blue tooth audio for wireless headsets, or BT based file transfers from a cell phone or tablet.

XTS3000

Had a similar problem as the OP. Solved it by going into the BIOS and disabling it there. I go into the hardware manager and it doesn't even show up there so it's like the BT doesn't even exist in the computer.

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
Alternatively you can disable it from starting at startup by...

• Closing all programs
  • Type msconfig in the "Search programs and files" dialog box and hit Enter
  • Select the General tab, and select Normal Startup
  • Select the Startup tab
  • Find the line where DEVMONSRV.exe is and remove the check mark in the box on the left
  • Select OK

I tried your 2nd suggestion (above). Although DEVMONSRV.exe wasn't on the list, there was an item called Intel Bluetooth something-or-other, which I unchecked. So far so good. If DEVMONSRV doesn't show up after about a week, I'll call it a success. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.