Hello, I purchased a Bearcat IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sportster883

I tried to post about the scanner I just purchased but I am new to forums and not very computer savvy. So if anyone out there wants to say hello or ask questions about the Bearcat IV I just purchased I would like to hear from you.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Wait, are we actually talking about the old electra bearcat IV like this:
il_570xN.205942301.jpg

millrad

Premium Subscriber
Those are great vintage scanners. Do you have crystals for it? What are you listening to?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I've only got one working crystal, the statewide VHF intersystem (Ohio LEERN) but it still sounds great.

Like an antique car, although you don't drive it much it looks good in your garage next to your new vette.

Sportster883

Yes that is the one.

Why you ask. Well I like vintage electronic equipment. I am not a fan of smart phones, and the new expensive scanners are not necessary to have in my area. Fire, Police, and Emergency are still analog and its just a handful of channels I listen to in my area. So this unit works great for me. I have had a few of them in the past and they were all really great.

I ordered a few crystals for it that should work for the fire channel, department of transportation, and NOAA. I am finding that there are not only parts out there but anyone who has one that is working in their home or shop will not part with their Bearcat IV and I do not blame them they are great. I will post more on it when I get the crystals and get started on it. Thanks for your reply.

Hello there and thanks for that link. I have found crystals for it from a little company called Nu-Tronics for a great price. I also called the Electra company and left a message. A guy from the Electra company called me today in fact and was a great help.

That is really great that yours is still working and you are enjoying it. If you are looking for crystals google Nu-Tronics in New York they are great and have crystals. Which antenna are you running on your old Bearcat IV ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sportster883

Well I got three crystals in the scanner for the correct frequencys in my area. I have local fire, ODOT, and The weather. All three channels come in clear and this scanner seems to work great. I do need to purchase another telescopic antenna for it. When I got the scanner I cleaned the contacts inside and checked all the internal connections and tested what I could and I found no problems with it inside. So far so good. I plan to order more crystals for it when I get the money for them. This old Electra has such great sound and I am really having fun with it. Thank you all so much for being so helpful.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
With just 8 channels to work with, I think I'd get a cheapie weather radio from Amazon and leave my NOAA Weather crystal in the drawer. Lots of analog down your way: OSP, ODF, Umpqua Natl Forest, Roseburg PD, Douglas Co. Sheriff, Crater Lake NP. The Douglas Co. Fire Tac channels alone could almost fill your scanner up.

Just a thought.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
and i bet it sounds better then the expensive stuff on the market today.

With the proper care, it'll last forever.

marksmith

With the proper care, it'll last forever.

I think Electro was the maker? Had one of these.
Agree that it will work forever and probably sound good too as long as the quality control on the crystals are good.

Can't say these things about the new radios.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

Phreakin318

Seriously? Electra was bought out by Uniden years ago.

lol seems to be the same person who ask for the scanners for longmire. check the join date and number of post.nice way of wanting to sell it .but if i am wrong let me know lmao.

techman210

When these were made, they covered the entire public service bands that existed then: 30-512 MHz (with gaps)

110AC Or 12VDC power, and the audio was second to none, with the big, front-facing speaker.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
lol seems to be the same person who ask for the scanners for longmire. check the join date and number of post.nice way of wanting to sell it .but if i am wrong let me know lmao.

what are you even talking about now?

BillMcE

When these were made, they covered the entire public service bands that existed then: 30-512 MHz (with gaps)

110AC Or 12VDC power, and the audio was second to none, with the big, front-facing speaker.

Agree about the sound being second to none. They had a loud, but warm sound quality that's just not heard on today's units.

Sportster883

Hello troymail, My Electra Bearcat IV is running right now and working great. I only have 2 crystals in it. One is for ODOT, and the other is local fire. I hope that your old Bearcat IV works and you can have fun with it. Does your Bearcat IV have any history or a story ? If you are looking for crystals I spoke with a company called Monitor Crystal Service on the phone today. They make them brand new right here in the USA. They cost $10.50 each with $3.00 shipping charge. I talked to a guy named Al and he was really helpful and very cool. He said If he is not around ask for Gary.

Status
Not open for further replies.