UBV-76

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
EDIT: "UVB-76"

How I've never heard of this station is beyond me, very interesting read, anyone know more about it, or heard broadcasts from it? I know what I'll be listening for tonight.

4625KHz

ARTICLE vvv
A Russian enigma

Last edited:

Token

I first heard it in the very early 80's. But once you listen for a few minutes to the repeating drone it gets pretty boring pretty quick. The sound has changed over the years, it sounded much different then than now.

There have been all kinds of speculation about it, from it being a "Dead Man" switch for nuclear response (a concept that a few moments thought can eliminate) to it being fairly standard military training messages. The later is almost certainly closer to the truth. While it was given a Spy Numbers identification by the Enigma group it is almost certainly not spy numbers related, its traffic is much more along the lines of military messages of some sort.

Keep in mind that the apparent increase in voice message activity from about 2010 onward is very likely the result of increased observation, vs an actual increase in activity. Prior to that time few people spent very long monitoring the station. So several messages a day might have been the norm for all we know, but no one happened to be listening to the station for extended periods. From 2010 on there have been dedicated groups and receivers set up to monitor and eventually record the station 24 hours a day.

The folks at priyom.org were originally a group of young new listeners who started in the radio hobby by near obsessive monitoring of this station. Since then they have broadened their interest and knowledge substantially, and now support one of the more complete and informative web sites related to Numbers Stations on the net. And they have an excellent description of the station on their site at The Buzzer

The station is an oddity certainly, but really not as much of a mystery as some writings about it would have you believe. Don't let my saying that discourage you in any way, just understand that some very odd sounding stuff on the air waves can have some fairly benign sources.

T!

AlaskaMike

Sure wish I could catch it here in AK.

Several remotes I've tried hear it well enough, typically those close to European Russia. If the photos on priyom.org are of the actual transmitter sites, then it would seem to explain why I can't hear much--the cage dipole antennas (VGDsh?) seem quite low for 4625 kHz unless the intended recipients were all somewhat close (NVIS).

Any ideas why they chose an antenna type with such a broad bandwidth for a transmitter using a fixed frequency?

SCPD

QRT
I remember seeing a segment put on by RT about th station. You might be able to find it on YouTube by typing in 4625 kHz or UVB-76. It was pretty good.

There is a lot of speculation about the purpose and location of said site. I can recieve it here in the Washington DC area pretty well at night especially durring the winter months.

The spooks list as well as hfunderground are some pretty good places to look for the numbers logs as well as the numbers and oddities website. If you want to tune in you could always pull up the university of Twente websdr

autovon

Ø
Buzzer also on 6998 USB/AM. Hearing it through the Netherlands websdr and my own station in the UK.

ETA: After using some google, it looks like its been there for a few weeks. Still hearing on 4625

Last edited:

AlaskaMike

Any speculation about why the use of such a wide band antenna at low NVIS heights? The "Buzzer" never changes frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.