• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-320 Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
For anyone who may be wondering how to setup talkgroups for conventional NXDN (may work on trunked) all you must do is go to the NXDN options on your programming software and enter in the talkgroup ids and their aliases and you are good to go. Go under the NXDN channel you have set up and select Group ID and set your main talkgroup. Then if you prefer go to the keypad options and select one key to change groups and you are good to go. Just had to figure this out for our local NXDN repeater. If anyone has anything to add please feel free.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Won't work on NexEdge trunking. The packets sent out by the trunked system have a bit that tags them as from a trunked system. A Kenwood radio that doesn't have the trunked system programmed will not decode the audio. I run a NexEdge trunked system and have confirmed this.

I've heard people say that an Icom NXDN/IDAS radio will decode trunked system transmissions, but I haven't personally seen it done. My system is 800MHz and Icom doesn't make any IDAS radios for 800MHz that I could try it with.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Won't work on NexEdge trunking. The packets sent out by the trunked system have a bit that tags them as from a trunked system. A Kenwood radio that doesn't have the trunked system programmed will not decode the audio. I run a NexEdge trunked system and have confirmed this.

I've heard people say that an Icom NXDN/IDAS radio will decode trunked system transmissions, but I haven't personally seen it done. My system is 800MHz and Icom doesn't make any IDAS radios for 800MHz that I could try it with.

I know now....I appreciate it...

Thanks,

KK4NEF

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if there is a special talk group number used for a all call or a group call on a nexedge system? I heard it was 65519, but i tried that in my nx320 and get nothing.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Under the Group ID, you'd type in "ALL".

This will only work if the system key you have allows that. The system keys can be set up to only allow you to program certain talk group ranges.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I should probably rephrase what I said above. The system key does not control what talk groups you can program.

You'd need to log into your system using KPG-110SM and set up a UID class of service (or use an existing class of service) that has the box checked for "All Groups Call". Unless that box is checked you won't actually be able to do an All Groups Call, even if you program it into the radio.

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
ok on the software i go to edit, nxdn, then group id list. on group id list tab, i have all selected under the id column and it says id name group id 001. then under the unit id list tab, the whole table is blank. do i need to put any info into that table? Setting up for receiving purposes only, no transmit.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It won't work that way.

You cannot program in a trunked Kenwood NexEdge radio system into that radio without the system key.

Even for receive only mode, you must have the system key.
Even with that key, the trunked system can be set up to only allow radios to RX/TX and RX only if they are specifically programmed into the system. Depending on how the trunked system is set up, this could be tied down to the specific radio ID, or go as far as to tie the radio ID to the radio ESN.

I run a NexEdge trunked system and I've played with most of these options. If the radio is not "active" in the system, it won't even decode, even in RX only mode.

ONLY way to do this is to talk to the system owner and see if, by some chance, they'll program the radio for you.

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
ok. i am using dsd+ to decode. i have a single channel conventional nxdn channel in my area. DSD shows a ran of 43, but no TG#S, just says group call and radio IDs.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's all it is. Conventional NXDN with a RAN of 43. There are no talkgroups on a conventional system. Talkgroups are limited to trunked systems.

NXDN will do radio ID's in simplex, repeater and trunked system.

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
oh ok so all i got to do is enter the ran enc and dec and leave the TG stuff empty? I thought all digital modes needed a tg to talk to each other. thanks for the info i will try it that way i was told on kenwood stuff if you set a tg to a 0 it enables the group call

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, I think what threw me was that this thread was originally about the NX-320 radio.

Are you asking about the DSD+ or a Kenwood radio?

If you are listening to a non-trunked system, you won't need talk group information, there isn't any.
For receiving, you can set the RAN to 0 (zero) and it should hear everything on that channel.

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
Actually i guess i am asking about both. I have a nx320 and trying to figure out the digital side of the radio. i got the analog stuff no problem. so on a conventional non trunked channel i can set ran to a 0 and i should be able to hear everything on the channel, without any tg info. on a trunked system, i need the tg #info and ran info to work? Thanks for your help. I am new to the nxdn stuff, and still trying to grasp the trbo stuff, lol.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Actually i guess i am asking about both. I have a nx320 and trying to figure out the digital side of the radio. i got the analog stuff no problem. so on a conventional non trunked channel i can set ran to a 0 and i should be able to hear everything on the channel, without any tg info.

There are a number of variables when you are talking about an NX series radio:

Channel width: Most Kenwood NXDN radios will do NXDN narrow (12.5KHz) or NXDN very narrow (6.25KHz). The bit rates are different between the two. 12.5KHz uses 9.6KBs and 6.25 uses 4.8KBs. These have to be set correctly or the radio will not decode. The two are not interchangeable, they have to match.

Frequency: Obvious....

RAN code: This is like the tone squelch you'd find on an analog radio. Options are "none" or a value between 1 and 63. If you were transmitting, these would need to match. If you are just receiving, you can set it to zero and you should hear all the NXDN traffic -if- you have the channel width set correctly.

You do not set any talk group info for a conventional system.

on a trunked system, i need the tg #info and ran info to work? Thanks for your help. I am new to the nxdn stuff, and still trying to grasp the trbo stuff, lol.

That's only part of it. For a Kenwood NexEdge trunked system you need a lot more info:

You -must- have a system key for the NX series radios. You will not be able to program a trunked system into an NX series radio without this.

You need to know all the system frequencies, including the control channel(s).

You need to know the channel bandwidth (narrow or very narrow)

You need to know the talk group ID's (aka GID)

Depending on how the actual trunked system is set up, your NXDN radio ID (UID) would need to be in the system and enabled. You can't do this from your radio, only from the system manager software (KPG-110SM). If they are using ESN validation, your radios specific ESN would need to be in the system and tied to the individual radio ID (UID). Without the UID and ESN validation set up in the system, your radio will not decode the system.

I have no clue how you'd set up a DSD+ receiver, never used one.

I can't help on the MotoTrbo side, either.

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
how about this scenario. I have the ran code for a single channel, conventional, non trunked nxdn frequency. The channel is set up for "group call". If i have the ran, which i do, what TG # is used for a "group call"? I have tried a 0, 65519, and setting the GUID to ALLl, under the nxdn GUID tab.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That isn't done with talk group settings. That's using some other form of signaling to trigger the other radios.

Just setting your RAN to zero should let you hear everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.