Feed Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSRoyall

My only intention here is to ask a simple, logical question. If someone is looking at providing only a law enforcement audio feed, why must he agree to a slew of restrictions pertaining to many other types of feeds he has no interest in offering? Do you see what I'm asking? You may not see any harm in agreeing to restrictions that don't seem to apply to you, but I'm like a lot of other native Texans in that my palms start itching for weapons when I'm expected to commit to a bunch of additional restrictions not even relevant to me.

Please understand that I do get that you're just covering your rear, and that's completely reasonable in this sort of situation. Yet, requiring all would-be feed providers to agree to restrictions applying to situations they might find unimaginable is, well, problematic. It would be relatively simple to programmatically tailor the policy agreement to the types of feeds someone intends to offer. That's something I'd have no qualms committing to.

In truth, my Southwest Harris County LE feed has been up on Tunein.com for over two years. Admittedly, it would be nice to add Broadcastify to my stable of outlets because that has the largest pool of scannerheads. I just cannot bring myself to consent to a blanket agreement that's mostly irrelevant to what I offer. I did check your feed database of feeds, and nobody else is really covering west Houston/Harris County. Too bad.

Incidentally, nearly everything in this region is on a P25 trunking system called TxWARN, and the tactical talkgroups are generally encrypted. That only further erodes the value of your feed provider agreement.

Scott

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Because its one agreement to cover all instead of having a different agreement for each type. Makes things easier.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Not an official RR/Broadcastify answer, just my opinion...

It's just like when I "agree" to a EULA for software that includes something like this...

Restrictions. Licensee may not, and may not permit others to:

(a) reverse engineer, decompile, decode, decrypt, disassemble, or in any way derive source code from, the Software;

(b) modify, translate, adapt, alter, or create derivative works from the Software;

I have zero intentions to do the above nor probably the ability, but I either agree or I don't use the software.

n0nhp

And you want the site admins to custom make an agreement for each of the thousand or so feeds that they host? They don't charge you to host, they just ask you to abide by a simple set of rules. If the rules set don't apply, what is the problem with agreeing to abide by them?
You obviously don't agree and so don't feed to the host. Why are you complaining?
I agree and am happy I don't have to pay for the bandwidth for my 50 to 100 users online at any given time.

Bruce

fredva

Feed Provider
Two reasons I can think of:

1) A feed could cover several different combinations of service types. Law enforcement only, law enforcement and fire, fire only, fire and EMS, EMS only, etc. I think I have seen one or two feeds that are public safety and railroads or some other type of commercial radio. It's not really practical for RadioReference to generate a custom TOS for every possible type of feed. (Same thing Tom said above).

2) Regardless of what your intent is at this moment, if you have a scanner, you have the CAPABILITY to broadcast multiple service types in the future. You could decide one night that you are going to unlock an EMS to hospital channel for some reason. The fact that a feed provider has the capability to do that without any sort of filtering mechanism to block him or her after the initial feed approval is significant. So in that case, it's good for RR to have a prior agreement that covers any potential problem areas. Over time, some people do change their minds about what they want to include on their broadcast.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
That is covered. If you are going to do BCFY, then you shut off your link if your going to open up things that are not permitted. Simple. If you want to feed just anything with no restrictions, and run certain risks from the agency your feeding, then use ProScan or the like and feed whatever you want. Or set up an direct link to one of the many apps that are online for cell phones etc. Or you could even host your own feed on your own website. BCFY uses the KISS principle, one TOS that generally covers it all. If they were to have an separate TOS for each and every thing imaginable that would be overkill, and make things too much like an government bureaucracy when it comes to getting new feeds online. If it gets too complicated, most guys who simply want to run an feed, will take an look at it, and walk away.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
It's their house, you are free to not play by their rules and decline to provide a feed. But if I suddenly want to broadcast something like an active SWAT operation, or the local ambulance company running FICO checks on whomever they are transporting, I think RR should have every right to take it down.

JoeyC

Just curious as to an example the OP considers unnecessary restrictions that won't pertain to his feed that he would like to provide??

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Just curious as to an example the OP considers unnecessary restrictions that won't pertain to his feed that he would like to provide??

This is what we have to agree to. As you can see, there's absolutely nothing in here worthy of the OP's bi*ching. It's 100% common sense stuff.

Terms of Service Certification

Law Enforcement Feeds

I agree to ONLY broadcast routine dispatch and special events channels and talkgroups for law enforcement agencies.
I agree to NOT broadcast dedicated tactical, car-to-car, SWAT, narcotics, detectives or any other channels or talkgroups that are not routine dispatch or special events related.

Fire / EMS / Rescue Feeds

I agree to ONLY broadcast routine dispatch operations and fireground / on scene operations for fire, EMS, and rescue agencies.
I agree to NOT broadcast dedicated channels or talkgroups used for ambulance to hospital communications.
I agree to NOT broadcast dedicated channels or talkgroups related to investigations, arson, and fire marshal activities.

Federal / Military Feeds

I agree to NOT broadcast dedicated federal government communications, except where the communications relate to fire fighting, EMS operations, space shuttle launch or ISS communications, and park ranger operations, subject to the terms of service in the other related categories.
I agree to NOT broadcast dedicated military communications, except where the communications relate to fire fighting, EMS operations, aircraft ARTCC operations, subject to the terms of service in the other related categories.

Other Feeds

I agree to NOT broadcast any commercial service broadcast. (FM/AM/TV etc)
I agree to NOT broadcast music or talk show of any kind. (commercial or non-commercial)
I agree to NOT broadcast DJ or other type of similar activity. (commercial or non-commercial)
I agree to NOT broadcast open microphones (feed device/computer mic, surveillance, stage mics, mics at venues, churches, performances, etc)
I agree to NOT broadcast schools/school buses communications.
I agree to NOT broadcast citizens Band (CB) communications.
I agree to NOT broadcast GMRS, FRS or MURS. (either simplex or repeaters)
I agree to NOT broadcast NOAA Weather Radio. (See [Wunder Radio Directory | Weather Underground Wunderground] for a host)
I agree to NOT broadcast private businesses. (Taxis, Buses, Towing, Security, Rental etc)
I agree to NOT broadcast any other content the Broadcastify staff feels is inappropriate for the Broadcastify audience.

Administration

I agree to follow all policies and directions with regard to Breaking News and Feed Alerts, secondary descriptions, and status messages.
I understand that if I violate any of the above terms of service without written authorization from Broadcastify, Broadcastify reserves the right to immediately terminate my feed.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have zero intentions to do the above nor probably the ability, but I either agree or I don't use the software.

Exactly.

As you can see, there's absolutely nothing in here worthy of the OP's bi*ching. It's 100% common sense stuff.

Absolutely correct.

I'm surprised the OP was able to get past the rules he had to agree to in order to join this site and post in the forums. But then again, the fact that "his palms start itching for weapons" when he has to abide by rules that are common sense to others, ummm... 'nough said!

richtidd

Database Admin
My only intention here is to ask a simple, logical question. If someone is looking at providing only a law enforcement audio feed, why must he agree to a slew of restrictions pertaining to many other types of feeds he has no interest in offering? Do you see what I'm asking? You may not see any harm in agreeing to restrictions that don't seem to apply to you, but I'm like a lot of other native Texans in that my palms start itching for weapons when I'm expected to commit to a bunch of additional restrictions not even relevant to me.

Please understand that I do get that you're just covering your rear, and that's completely reasonable in this sort of situation. Yet, requiring all would-be feed providers to agree to restrictions applying to situations they might find unimaginable is, well, problematic. It would be relatively simple to programmatically tailor the policy agreement to the types of feeds someone intends to offer. That's something I'd have no qualms committing to.

In truth, my Southwest Harris County LE feed has been up on Tunein.com for over two years. Admittedly, it would be nice to add Broadcastify to my stable of outlets because that has the largest pool of scannerheads. I just cannot bring myself to consent to a blanket agreement that's mostly irrelevant to what I offer. I did check your feed database of feeds, and nobody else is really covering west Houston/Harris County. Too bad.

Incidentally, nearly everything in this region is on a P25 trunking system called TxWARN, and the tactical talkgroups are generally encrypted. That only further erodes the value of your feed provider agreement.

Scott

This is out Terms Of Services sas to what can & cannot be broadcast.

All feed owners are requiresed to sign off on all the TOS & not just the part that applies to them.

For a Law feed thet TOS that applies is this:
Law Enforcement Feeds:
I agree to ONLY broadcast routine dispatch and special events channels and talk groups for law enforcement agencies.
Please also see here: http://forums.radioreference.com/br...law-enforcement-feeds-tos-clarifications.html

DSRoyall

And you want the site admins to custom make an agreement for each of the thousand or so feeds that they host? They don't charge you to host, they just ask you to abide by a simple set of rules. If the rules set don't apply, what is the problem with agreeing to abide by them?
You obviously don't agree and so don't feed to the host. Why are you complaining?
I agree and am happy I don't have to pay for the bandwidth for my 50 to 100 users online at any given time.

Bruce

I have to smile at your response. If you were a programmer, you would realize how minor a change I'm talking about. The application page is already collecting the information needed to adjust the agreement, it simply isn't acting upon that information.

Standard legal advice is not to agree to more than you have to. Of course, as others have pointed out, very few read the EULAs we blissfully sign. Then again, we aren't required to initial each clause.

richtidd

Database Admin
I have to smile at your response. If you were a programmer, you would realize how minor a change I'm talking about. The application page is already collecting the information needed to adjust the agreement, it simply isn't acting upon that information.

Standard legal advice is not to agree to more than you have to. Of course, as others have pointed out, very few read the EULAs we blissfully sign. Then again, we aren't required to initial each clause.

The TOS is an all or nothing acceptance.

I do not think it will change.

We often get applications where the applicant selected the incorrect Genere for what you ask for would be based on.

We get applications that include more than one Genere so what you ask for would not be accurate.

We get applications that despite the TOS list of what not to broadcast, include TOS violations in the feed info list.

Therefor, an applicant needs to accept all the Terms of Service to proceed to the point of being able to submit an application where we review it for TOS compliance.

A non compliant application is denied.

Best is to accept the TOS in full & submit a fully compliant application.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Too bad I cannot feed my local pds-all their tactical is in the clear and if I read the TOS right I couldn't feed it.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I think milf made a subtle reference to this earlier, but in theory, the TOS helps keep it in the clear. In theory.

Someone said my name? **Looks around**

Seriously, look at my post with open eyes, you will see this: Run an feed on one of the many other servers etc... Accept the risk you take of that agency encrypting etc. Or stick to the TOS as it stands for BCFY and run an feed of dispatch/events so others can enjoy your area worldwide!

This is your brain :)confused:) This is your brain with an scanner :)twisted:)
This is everyone else brain when you run an feed :)D)

Status
Not open for further replies.