Kenwood: Kenwood TM-D710 w/ external map display

Status
Not open for further replies.

blastco2

While on the subject of 710 and gps....
I'm new to this and like using aprs. I started with a mobilinkd tnc2, baofeng bff8hp, tab s running aprsdroid. I really like the map display on the tab s. The range is limited with the ht so, I'd rather use the 710. Is there a way to get the aprs packets from the 710 into the tab s or control the 710 with the mobilinkd tnc2 and aprsdroid?

I dont mean to hijack..... but it seems the op's question has been answered and there is some 710/aprs knowledge in this thread.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The quick and easy answer is the AvMap G6 APRS. It's a full-featured mapping GPS receiver that will display the APRS position reports that the D710 receives on a pan-and-zoom map. It's not the least expensive solution and I believe AvMap is still charging roughly $100 for map updates.

Another possible solution would be a small Windows tablet running something like APRSISCE/32 or UIView or an Android tablet running APRSDroid.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Hmm...yeah, I just picked up a small tablet like that. I'll have to connect it to the D710 and have it push the data out. I use a Bluetooth GPS device now, but why not give it a go. I may have to purchase a holder for the mounting system that holds the D710 control head now. That's what I need, more stuff I don't need to look at while driving.

Jimbiram

I thought Mobilinkd sells a Kenwood cable to connect it to the radio?

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blastco2

The quick and easy answer is the AvMap G6 APRS. It's a full-featured mapping GPS receiver that will display the APRS position reports that the D710 receives on a pan-and-zoom map. It's not the least expensive solution and I believe AvMap is still charging roughly $100 for map updates.

Another possible solution would be a small Windows tablet running something like APRSISCE/32 or UIView or an Android tablet running APRSDroid.
My 710a has no built in gps. So i must connect an external gps to feed it my location. Using an android tablet would give my location to the 710 and then recieve and display on the android.
Trying to find a way to do this. Quick and simple.

Okay, i have the samsung tab-s w/aprsdroid installed. Also have a mobilinkd bluetooth tnc2. Is there a way to control the 710 with the tnc2/aprsdroid combination? Would it work to connect the tnc2 to the 710 through the echolink port, Bypassing the 710's built in tnc?

Another thing that would be nice to do... get the position reports/locations to appear on a Backcountry Navigator map. As, BCN has much better maps. It would be near perfect if aprsdroid and backcountry navigator were merged...

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
If the bluetooth supports two way data, the 710a should send waypoints to the APRSdroid I would think. Look in the menus press F then the Channel knob, and select APRS. Don't remember the exact menu number, but it's in there.

Be worth a try.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Wait a minute. If it's a bluetooth tnc it should put everything it receives on the map. Is the tnc hooked to the Com port? I've never used anything but the built in tnc with my 710...

sent from an electronic device...

blastco2

I dont think it will work at the com port. I think the tnc needs to be connected to an audio type connection like, the echolink port. I have ordered a 6 pin din cable from mobilinkd. Will be experimenting with this in the days to come.

If you havent played with aprsdroid, it is a very nice app. Shows all recieved info on a map. The main screen shows call, tag line message, distance/direction. Tap on a user and see their location on the map or aprs.fi or qrz call lookup. Another screen for text messages. Imho, makes the 710 aprs look rather outdated.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
But, any tnc should relay what it hears to the program. That's what they do. The only ones that wouldn't are tracker only such as the TinyTraks.

Jimbiram

My understanding of the Mobilinkd is that it isn't a true TNC in the usual sense. Instead it is a two way Bluetooth modem that will link the radio with the tablet (APRSDroid) software. Most people connect it to the microphone port on a Wouxun or Baofeng radio, but I believe they have successfully used with other Kenwood radios. Contact them directly for more facts...

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
It's a KISS modem or so the website says..just like a tnc. If it's not passing the info to the tablet, there's a problem somehwere.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
But, any tnc should relay what it hears to the program. That's what they do. The only ones that wouldn't are tracker only such as the TinyTraks.
While the TinyTrak3 is a transmit-only device, the TinyTrak4 is a full transmit-receive TNC.

And, while I'm taking up a message slot, the Byonics TinyTrak line is not to be confused with the Argent Data OpenTracker, Tracker2, and Tracker3 line.

blastco2

The tnc2 works just fine when connected to my baofeng. The baofeng is not very sensitive.... its like me...real hard of hearing. I could connect it to an external antenna but, id rather use the 710 as the tx/rx and still be able to use aprsdroid app, mostly for the map.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Is th is for base or mobile use? Just curious.

My point earlier with the TinyTraks was about TX only units (I own 3 tt3s)

If the bluetooth tnc is KISS capable, as it says, it should be sending received packets to the android device. If it's not, there's a problem somewhere. Either hardware or in configuration.

blastco2

For mobile use. I have not yet attempted to connect the mobilinkd tnc2 to the kenwood 710. Was trying to find out if anyone had done so and how they went about it.

blastco2

Ive ordered and recieved that cable but, have not had a chance to play with it yet. In the next few days i hope to find out if this will work. Then, try to remember to report my results here.....

blastco2

Update

It worked. 6 pin cable from mobilinkd, tnc2, samsung tab s. As it turns out, it is pretty much plug and play. A couple of settings on the 710, tune in the freg on the side you've selected and press "start tracking". I really like having the moving map displayed on the tab s.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

W5SAB

I'm trying the same thing but what I going to try is get a mic adapter cable for smart phones and hook into the audio out on the tm-d710. That way my radio is doing all the aprs functions and aprs droid is just decoding and mapping the incoming signals.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.