DSD in Central VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

I know I have been on here before about this topic, but I would really like some help with decoding unencrypted DMR, etc using DSD+. I have a NooElec dongle and I am using SDR+ coupled with DSD. I have the Virtual Audio Cable installed. When it's running, all I'm hearing is the digital sounds and not voices. I look at DSD+ and it says that it's receiving the signal just fine even showing me slot 1 and slot 2. But I'm not getting intelligible audio. I know I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what. Is there somebody in the central va area that also uses DSD+ that would be willing to help me? Please PM me if so. I would greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to learn about this stuff and it's pretty hard!

reconrider8

Ummm have you set your ppm? Also what are you running this setup on? You need a fairly good system to run this on with SDR sharp. There is a new DSD that doesn't use sdr# that is made to run on lower end computers but you need your ppms right anyway.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
What is the correct ppm? It is running on a acer aspire win 8.1 laptop computer.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

coolderb

Also check in the Audio settings that the filter box is not checked. DSD needs to receive unfiltered audio.

I have used a cheap RTL dongle and used it to decode DMR on a relatively low-powered Winbook 7" tablet.

It works fine. It should work even better with the new version of DSD that has been optimized for tablets.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
SDR and DSD+

Attached is a picture of my current configuration. Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I'd love to get this thing working!

Attachments

• SDR-DSD+Scrnshot.jpg
    SDR-DSD+Scrnshot.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 239
  • SDRSharpSettings.jpg
    SDRSharpSettings.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 237

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Your audio input and output is wrong for one thing. The cables are talking to themselves which won't work.

The PPM will vary depending on your dongle. Find a known frequency and put it in on SDR#. Then adjust PPM to where it matches.

I use the control channel from a nearby STARS site while others use a weather channel. Something that is on non-stop. Moving the PPM will move the display to line up with the frequency in question. Once lined up you're set to go with that much at least.

Also lower your sample rate considerably its way too high. I run mine at 1.4

You will need your audio sources set accurately which they are not in SDR# pic above. Mine for instance say input MME Stereo Mix etc. and output Line 1 Virtual Audio Cable.

Then DSDPlus has DSDPlus as input and speakers as output. If you notice when you start DSDPlus it will list all your input and output devices available with a corresponding number next to them.

Try lowering latency too. I run mine about 45.

Bandwidth may need to be lowered. Different opinions exist although I believe most say about 8000.

I have mine set to 2500 and it works great but your mileage may vary there.

Hopefully that will get you going.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
SDR# Audio Output settings

Thanks for your help guys! I'm still having difficulty decoding anything. Please tell me what my audio settings should be based on these screen captures. I'm having a hard time understanding how VB-Audio Cable works and what I need to do. I have turned down my bandwidth and latency to 8000 (bandwidth) and latency to 45 respectively. What else do I need to do?

This is my latest project that I want to get working. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• SDR#AudioOutput.jpg
    SDR#AudioOutput.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 166
  • SDR#AudioSetting.jpg
    SDR#AudioSetting.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 166

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I use VAC and don't know about VB cable. I have the SDR# settings set to input MME Stereo Mix and the output MME Line 1 VAC.

The DSD Plug in has the VAC set as the audio device

Run a search on VB cable here and you'll find more info on set up for it.

Here are screen shots of a few things. Also set your step to 1hz and set your order to 10.

I used to use VB cable but its been so long I don't remember how anymore. Originally VAC didn't work for me and VB cable did then it stopped working and VAC started. Don't ask me why or how but there it is.

The screen shot showing the plug in config shows you a selection screen of inputs and outputs. Match what DSDPlus lists as your input and output options and their corresponding numbers then set the appropriate number you want in the fields shown.

Hope this helps a bit.
You might also ask in the DSDPlus forum. Lots of much more knowledgeable people about this stuff in there. I'm not particularly computer literate so my help is limited I'm afraid.

Attachments

• SDR# Settings 1.jpg
    SDR# Settings 1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 139
  • SDR# Settings 2.jpg
    SDR# Settings 2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 126
  • SDR# Settings 3.jpg
    SDR# Settings 3.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 126
  • SDR# Settings 4.jpg
    SDR# Settings 4.jpg