Another case for encryption.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Guess ill do the first time comment...well i have met john once or twice for a job. but im glad i didnt...but why would you have a police radio to go chase down someone the police are already after and take it upon yourself to go in your wacker car and go stop someone and hold them at gunpoint...bad mistake written all over that...sorry mr Carmichael

rapidcharger

Since there appears to be plenty of folks that will gladly do that job for free and bring their own gear even, It seems silly to me to waste tax dollars on paying salaries when volunteers are in plentiful supply.

n5ims

So the guy stole (or otherwise got ahold of) a system radio and used it. Just how would this affect encryption. Had it been encrypted, his radio probably also would've been setup for encryption.

How about instead of using this to help justify encryption, using it to justify keeping your system's radios physically secured so they can't easily be stolen!

KD4YGG

Database Admin
And The 2015 Whacker of the Year Award Goes To...

N8IAA

So the guy stole (or otherwise got ahold of) a system radio and used it. Just how would this affect encryption. Had it been encrypted, his radio probably also would've been setup for encryption.

How about instead of using this to help justify encryption, using it to justify keeping your system's radios physically secured so they can't easily be stolen!

He did not steal it. He ran a radio shop in the county he was arrested. It was his personal vehicle to show what could be installed on law enforcement cars. I got to meet him years ago through a mutual friend and see his shop.
I won't pass judgment. That is the courts job. But, you just have to wonder what he was really thinking.
It's got to be the water down here;)
Larry

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
He did not steal it. He ran a radio shop in the county he was arrested.

to my knowledge the company (C-Comm 911) has been out of business (the location on Matthews st has been closed since late last year) and the shop did not do repairs on radios, only installations. From what I know, they were NOT AUTHORIZED to do any programming or re-programming of public safety trunking radios for any agency nor were their any officially trained radio technicians on their payroll.

I will refrain from further comment on the accused, he will have his day in court.

One thing I will say is anyone who chooses to program, posses or utilize a trunking radio with the capability to register on a government communications network for which they don't have proper written authorization be prepared to face serious life altering consequences.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
anyone who chooses to program, posses or utilize a trunking radio with the capability to register on a government communications network for which they don't have proper written authorization, be prepared to face serious life altering consequences.

this needs to be restated. Anyone thinking of cloning a radio onto a system should read this again and give it serious thought.

Edit:

The final charge, in that warrant, is a Felony theft of service charge for the cloned radio...
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RRR

Premium Subscriber
The final charge, in that warrant, is a Felony theft of service charge for the cloned radio...
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The charge is not "For the radio" as it is not illegal to possess as it was, the charge was for him using it on the system that requires users to pay to use it, and he did not pay the fee. Just like eating at a restaurant then leaving without paying.

Of course, permission to access the system in the first place is an issue, but it seem his boat is pretty loaded already.

Status
Not open for further replies.