Call sign help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Usually I listen to GHFS comms. , but today I parked on 311.00, and heard two EAMs for the call sign DEVIL FOX. I have looked through all my lists and had no luck with the ID. This was 1030 CDT , I live in central Iowa. This was a very clear message. Sounded like they were next door. Anyone know who this might be? Thanks for any help, Mike

It was most likely a E-6B ABNCP aircraft using a daily changing call sign. Next time check 323.8 also and you will probably hear the EAM there as well.

Keep those two in you scanner, you will probably hear traffic there often in your part of the country.

Haley

Thanks for the tip, I will try that! The couple of times I have been lucky enough to catch anything on UHF here, has always been on 311. I hear tons on the GHFS though. Mike

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
In the past I've heard EAMs on 311.0 and also GHFS in the same timeframe. I've noticed the 311.0 EAMs from the E-6Bs as mentioned above tend to be shorter.

Haley

eorange, that might be what I heard. They did seem shorter than the GHFS messages. Thanks for the info, Mike

autovon

Ø
You are close enough to Offutt for 311 and 323.8 to be in your regular scan list.

In the past I've heard EAMs on 311.0 and also GHFS in the same time-frame. I've noticed the 311.0 EAMs from the E-6Bs as mentioned above tend to be shorter.

For one reason or another the vox mics in use on the E-6B UHF radios cut off pieces of the EAM's particularly in the beginning or if the operator pauses too long.

The messages aren't shorter you just aren't hearing all of it. It doesn't seem like a very effective system if parts are missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.