Heading to LBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Was wondering if anyone knows the coast guard frequencies and other pretty active agencies down there . Not a fan of the beach so will be scanning to pass the time away.

Thanks in advance!

elias1988

Feed Provider
I would monitor everything listed under LBI Emergency Services,Barnegat Light,Beach Haven,Ship Bottom and Surf City. Harvey Cedars Police and Beach Patrol use MotoTRBO so they're not monitorable. As for coast guard monitor channels 16, 22A and 83A. You could probably program in the trunked system also especially Fire Zone 2,fire marshals and fire coordinators TGs.

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The database here is accurate for the island and I also monitor what ecps92 mentioned when I'm on the island. I need to dissect Harvey Cedars new DMR channel and see what CC, Slot and TG they are using the next chance I get when I'm there this weekend.

Analogrules

I wonder if lifeguards are also DMR now?

Normally when a police department decides to switch over to DMR mode, they also go encrypted. I highly doubt you'll be able to pick up Harvey Cedars. I remember when I spend time down at Long Beach Island when I was much younger, I could barely pick up Harvey Cedars from the Beach Haven area even when they were in FM mode. They always came in weak. When you're down there, I am curious if the lifeguards are still on 46.000? I used to enjoy eavesdropping on them, especially when they just had silly conversations that had nothing to do with the job. But, I heard that they also switched to DMR. I was down there only for a few hours last summer and did pick up Long Beach PD and Beach Haven PD in the clear still.....but no lifeguards. So please post if you can confirm hearing any Lifeguard activity in the clear still. I am very curious about that. If they are confirmed that they are now DMR, the DB needs updating.

Analogrules

Also, the Coast Guard down there was always active on the standard 157 MHz marine channels. I never heard Coast Guard on any other frequency in THAT particular area.

SpectrumAnalyzer

Previously Banned Member
Banned
282.8 MHz AM mode

Cant seem to find 282.800 in all of the Coast Guard frequencies ???

282.8 MHz is a well known & confirmed UHF combined civil agency/military branch search & rescue frequency like it's VHF counterpart 123.1 MHz AM, not as well known or publicized as 121.5 MHz AM & 243.0 MHz AM which serve multirole functions unlike the aforementioned frequencies which as earlier stated are used strictly for SAR.

scannersnstuff

282.8 MHz is a well known & confirmed UHF combined civil agency/military branch search & rescue frequency like it's VHF counterpart 123.1 MHz AM, not as well known or publicized as 121.5 MHz AM & 243.0 MHz AM which serve multirole functions unlike the aforementioned frequencies which as earlier stated are used strictly for SAR.

thank you ! . only been monitoring for like 46 years. i think i'll stop offering knowledge and input.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I got my start with scanning and public safety monitoring with good friends on the Harvey Cedars Police Department when I was fairly young, we spent a lot of time in HC. Low Band all the way and even picking up the OC sherriffs department on the island. Then LB township went to UHF and that created quite a stir. Now it is so complicated.

Tech792

I checked with a friend who lives in Ship Bottom. He confirms that Harvey Cedars lifeguards are MotoTRBO on 453.775

Analogrules

What about all the other lifeguards on the island? Is Long Beach Twp, ship bottom, surf city, and Beach Haven lifeguards on DMR too or just Harvey Cedars?

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like if you want to monitor them invest in the least expensive MotoTRBO radio. I've noticed a lot of places going to MotoTRBO digital. Like even Metuchen PD is now using MotoTRBO radios.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Another solution to monitor DMR, (TRBO) NXDN, and the like (if they are not encrypted) is to have a scanner tapped at the discriminator port and download Digital Speech Decoder (or DSD+). I use that and have had much success with a majority of "unmonitorable" digital signals. I was lucky and found a local friend who was able to help me set up DSD and tap a scanner I have. The only drawback is I have to bring my laptop fully charged and hook up the scanner to the laptop, but that's the most economical choice for me at the moment... :)

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Another solution to monitor DMR, (TRBO) NXDN, and the like (if they are not encrypted) is to have a scanner tapped at the discriminator port and download Digital Speech Decoder (or DSD+). I use that and have had much success with a majority of "unmonitorable" digital signals. I was lucky and found a local friend who was able to help me set up DSD and tap a scanner I have. The only drawback is I have to bring my laptop fully charged and hook up the scanner to the laptop, but that's the most economical choice for me at the moment... :)

GM is right though you can opt to have/buy for fairly cheap any basic scanner that has a discriminator tap!!

Analogrules

Normally when a PD switches to DMR like Metuchen, it is most likely encrypted or will be encrypted in the future. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a DMR radio, that can also monitor P25 Trunked.

Status
Not open for further replies.