Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3XDJ

Hi,

I hear a lot of traffic on this frequency in the Ottawa area. Mostly english comms. During inversions, I also hear a lot of french comms which I'm guessing originate from Montreal.

I did a search for railroad scanning frequencies with no luck.

Can anyone identify the use of this frequency for me?

Thanks!

phillydjdan

In the States I think that could also be a commercial or public safety frequency. Here in Pennsylvania it is used by Chester County for fire communications, and they are known for using tall towers and high power, so if skip conditions are just right you could be hearing them. Just a thought.

VA3XDJ

Based on the TAFL search I did and what I've heard its Via Rail, CP Rail and CN Rail and confirms the railroad-type traffic I heard in english.

They are also licensed for the same use in Quebec but the french comms I heard seemed a lot more humorous!

I was more interested in the purpose of the traffic on this frequency.

Not being a rail fan I'm not sure what to make of what I hear.

mciupa

Database Admin
Hi,

I hear a lot of traffic on this frequency in the Ottawa area. Mostly english comms. During inversions, I also hear a lot of french comms which I'm guessing originate from Montreal.

I did a search for railroad scanning frequencies with no luck.

Can anyone identify the use of this frequency for me?

Thanks!

Could it be Sudbury, Ontario? I think they are bilingual up that way as well.

Code:
CP Yards
Sudbury

Frequency|Input|License |Type |Tone |Alpha Tag|Description|Mode|Tag 

160.18500        BM CSQ CP Sudbury  Sudbury Yard  FM  Railroad

VA3XDJ

I'm in Ottawa.

The stuff I hear locally is either simplex or repeater railroad-type traffic such as "clear to signal" etc.

During inversions I hear what is probably originating from Montreal area (200km east of me) which I'm guessing now that you mention Yard could explain the humorous back-and-forth I hear!

mmisk

Alexandria Subdivision

Hello VA3XDJ

160.185 is the main line channel for the Alexandria Subdivision that runs east from Ottawa.
It is also used by trains when they are westbound toward Smith Falls on the Smith Falls subdivision.
Most rail comms seem to use it as a radio repeater with 160.185 being the output.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.