Has Indianapolis/Marion County Public Service been rebanded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelson2525

Premium Subscriber
I have had my BCD396XT set up for Indianapolis IMPD and Lawrence PD since December and have received transmissions on both until a few days ago. Does anyone know if they have been rebanded or why I would stop receiving transmissions for these two sites? I saw that Indianapolis/Marion County Public Safety Mecca 1 is on the rebanding list. I am still receiving Greenfield Indiana transmissions.

Thanks

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
MECA is gone. It is the Indianapolis Department of Public Safety; Communications Division TRS now. It was rebanded and is P25. You don't need any special bandplans for it. All you need is to set it for CC only trunking, and as an P25 system. I have been running an PRO-96 on the system for well over an year now, and am listening to it right now clear as an bell. Greenfield is on the State of Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T system which is an completely different system.

nelson2525

Premium Subscriber
MECA is gone. It is the Indianapolis Department of Public Safety; Communications Division TRS now. It was rebanded and is P25. You don't need any special bandplans for it. All you need is to set it for CC only trunking, and as an P25 system. I have been running an PRO-96 on the system for well over an year now, and am listening to it right now clear as an bell. Greenfield is on the State of Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T system which is an completely different system.

Thanks milf. Can you tell me the cc # and where I would put it in? And can I program it through Freescan/RadioReference or do they still have the old (meca) info and I have to do it manually? I'm not real savy on programming I did it through RR before.

Sorry for all of the questions and Thanks again

Last edited:

nelson2525

Premium Subscriber

milf, I read your post again where you have been using this system for well over a year. My situation just changed. This time last week I was receiving IMPD and Lawrence calls then all of a sudden one day they stopped.

SCPD

QRT
IDPS Formally MECA is up and running fine System 1,2,3 For System 1 IMDP PD/FD is up and running please check your scanner something must be wrong there please make sure you have these 4 control channels programmed in for your IMPD / Lawrence These Systems went through rebanding a couple of years ago no new changes to the system lately I bet what happen was they rotated CC and you may not have that in your scanner that they moved to so these are the 4 that they use.

Last edited:

nelson2525

Premium Subscriber
IDPS Formally MECA is up and running fine System 1,2,3 For System 1 IMDP PD/FD is up and running please check your scanner something must be wrong there please make sure you have these 4 control channels programmed in for your IMPD / Lawrence These Systems went through rebanding a couple of years ago no new changes to the system lately I bet what happen was they rotated CC and you may not have that in your scanner that they moved to so these are the 4 that they use.

In trunked system set up I have Indianapolis Dept of Public Safety, Type: Mot type 2/P25. Then in site set up I have IMPD with Site type: Mot P25/P25 Standard.Those frequencies you mentioned are listed as the first 4 frequencies in trunk frequencies. Control channel only is checked but grayed out. This is in FreeScan.

SCPD

QRT
These are old file I got from some one else but see if yours looks like this in freescan

Attachments

• freescan idps.jpg
    freescan idps.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 449
  • free scan idps 2.jpg
    free scan idps 2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 421
  • free scan idps 3.jpg
    free scan idps 3.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
All should be in P25/ P25 Standard and not Motorola Type ll P25 Standard For IDPS hope that helps

nelson2525

Premium Subscriber
All should be in P25/ P25 Standard and not Motorola Type ll P25 Standard For IDPS hope that helps

Thanks for hanging in there with me goham. I changed to P25 Standard (digital XT) and uploaded to scanner but no help.Hopefully you can open my attachments which are screenshots of my setup. Couldn't get it ti paste to this message.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    138 KB · Views: 110
  • Doc2.doc
    137.5 KB · Views: 98

SCPD

QRT
Unless I am missing something right on front of me that looks right. Try using just the 4 CC I listed instead of all of the freqs for IDPS and see what happens. Does the scanner pick up anything else like the weather service or are you just having the issue with IDPS

Oh and remove the LCN listings and see what happens so have LCN blank instead of 1,2,3,4 and so on leave it blank

nelson2525

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for hanging in there with me goham. I changed to P25 Standard (digital XT) and uploaded to scanner but no help.Hopefully you can open my attachments which are screenshots of my setup. Couldn't get it ti paste to this message.

Thanks.

Well I tried removed the LCN numbers but that didn't help.Greenfield comes in without issue just having issues with Marion county. So I deleted everything except Greenfield and imported Indianapolis back in again and uploaded that to the scanner. I get a very occasional call from IMPD but nothing like it should be as active as they are. So for now I don't know what else to try. Greenfield is the main one I want to listen to and would like to have the others but I guess for now I will have to live without them.

I thank you for all of your help and suggestions.

David

nelson2525

Premium Subscriber
Well I tried removed the LCN numbers but that didn't help.Greenfield comes in without issue just having issues with Marion county. So I deleted everything except Greenfield and imported Indianapolis back in again and uploaded that to the scanner. I get a very occasional call from IMPD but nothing like it should be as active as they are. So for now I don't know what else to try. Greenfield is the main one I want to listen to and would like to have the others but I guess for now I will have to live without them.

I thank you for all of your help and suggestions.

David

I believe I have figured it out. It seems to be a signal strength issue. I forgot about the field strength meter on the scanner. Greenfield which is close by has 5 bars and Lawrence and Indianapolis which are about 20-25 miles away have 1 bar and sometimes 2 bars. When they have 2 bars I get some calls but sometimes they drop off. Other times nothing. So it looks like I need a new antenna. I had been thinking about getting a RS 800 antenna for awhile so it looks like that will be happening real soon.

Thanks

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I believe I have figured it out. It seems to be a signal strength issue. I forgot about the field strength meter on the scanner. Greenfield which is close by has 5 bars and Lawrence and Indianapolis which are about 20-25 miles away have 1 bar and sometimes 2 bars. When they have 2 bars I get some calls but sometimes they drop off. Other times nothing. So it looks like I need a new antenna. I had been thinking about getting a RS 800 antenna for awhile so it looks like that will be happening real soon.

Thanks

The RS 800 duckie is awesome, and you should have good results. I use the RS 800 Duckie, and it pulls in the SAFE-T like crazy. I get great results from all 3 INDY sites, as well as the Hendricks Simulcast, Shelby Simulcast, Boone Simulcast, Greenwood, Greenfield, Franklin, Mooresville sites very good, and the Hamilton County site pretty good, depending on weather. You shouldn't have too much multipath issues on IDPS as your far enough away that you should only get one of the multiple towers on the IDPS Simulcast. Not sure how well you will do if you try to get System 3 (Hamilton County) from Gfield. You would do even better if you had an pole mounted yagi antenna at about 30 feet up. Be aware that the SAFE-T is undergoing conversion to P25, and your area will be converting sometime around first of the year 2016 (Phase 3 of the 6 phases.) Speaking of, guys be ready for a lot of activity after July 4thish.....

nelson2525

Premium Subscriber
The RS 800 duckie is awesome, and you should have good results. I use the RS 800 Duckie, and it pulls in the SAFE-T like crazy. I get great results from all 3 INDY sites, as well as the Hendricks Simulcast, Shelby Simulcast, Boone Simulcast, Greenwood, Greenfield, Franklin, Mooresville sites very good, and the Hamilton County site pretty good, depending on weather. You shouldn't have too much multipath issues on IDPS as your far enough away that you should only get one of the multiple towers on the IDPS Simulcast. Not sure how well you will do if you try to get System 3 (Hamilton County) from Gfield. You would do even better if you had an pole mounted yagi antenna at about 30 feet up. Be aware that the SAFE-T is undergoing conversion to P25, and your area will be converting sometime around first of the year 2016 (Phase 3 of the 6 phases.) Speaking of, guys be ready for a lot of activity after July 4thish.....

Is the RS 800 Duckie the same as the model 20-283? It's about 6" or 7" I believe.

Thanks for the heads up on the Safe T conversion.

GTO_04

Is the RS 800 Duckie the same as the model 20-283? It's about 6" or 7" I believe.

Thanks for the heads up on the Safe T conversion.

Yes it is. You can still order it online from RS if you cannot find it locally.

You should be able to pick up Hamilton County from Greenfield. For some reason radio reception is pretty good in that direction.

GTO_04

nelson2525

Premium Subscriber
Update: Well I bought the RS 800 antenna and I must say I don't see any improvement in reception. Still no Lawrence or Indianapolis calls. While I had the stock antenna off I could still pick up Greenfield calls since they are so close. After installing the 800 antenna I got the same reception for Greenfield that I had with the stock antenna (5bars). With the 800 antenna I now see 1 to 2 bars for Lawrence and Indianapolis but still no calls. So now it's looking like I will have to go to and outdoor antenna or just listen to Greenfield.

K9IEL

Premium Subscriber
I'm surprised you were able to receive IDPS clear as a bell on a PRO-96. The PRO-96 was my first digital scanner, had it for years with an 800 mhz RS antenna, but it did not do well with the P25 systems.

Fortunately for me, the radio started falling apart and "forced" me to buy a new radio :). Have the Uniden BCD436HP and really like it.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I'm surprised you were able to receive IDPS clear as a bell on a PRO-96. The PRO-96 was my first digital scanner, had it for years with an 800 mhz RS antenna, but it did not do well with the P25 systems.

Fortunately for me, the radio started falling apart and "forced" me to buy a new radio :). Have the Uniden BCD436HP and really like it.

I was lucky enough that the one I started with was CPU 1.4, and I loaded DSP 1.4. I Had a few issues with some areas of the simulcast but rarely had big troubles. This is my 3rd 96. It also is an CPU 1.4 and I loaded DSP 1.4. It had major issues for a long time. Then I learned of the little tuning trick with an certian pot screw... It now functions as good as any scanner I have owned or used on an 800 MHz P25 simulcast. I have very little issues with multipath distortion now, and the scanner will serve me well on the IDPS, and on the SAFE-T P25 upgrade until they pop on Phase 2. By then I will own at least one TDMA capable unit, be it an BC436/536HP, WS 1080/1095, or one of the next gen ones that Whistler puts out in the next couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.