Bloomfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaMarieNJ

Is it my system, or is there loud static when they talk?

It may be my unit - it is old. The static drives me crazy. I cannot hear what they are saying as the static happens when they talk. The squelch doesn't help.

Thanks

Donna

DonnaMarieNJ

I don't get it - all I get is static when they speak. My unit is old, but is (I thought) in perfect condition.

Listening to them is useless because the static is louder than their voices. There is no static when they don't speak.

What kind of unit do you have AC2OY and ansky? I know AC2OY says 536, but I don't know what that means. (I'm not up on these things.)

ansky

Ansky - can you get West Orange on your unit? I never hear anything.

Yes I can get West Orange with no problem. I'm using a HomePatrol 2 scanner.

Do you have any attenuator settings turned on? If so, turn that off. Also make sure your squelch is turned down to a low setting. If it's set too high it won't pick anything up.

DonnaMarieNJ

I have a radio shack pro 96. I do not know what the attenuator settings is/are. I had someone program it for me on ebay. All I do is turn it on and off. I have NEVER picked up West Orange, or Montclair, for that matter.

Can you tell me where the attenuator control is located on the unit?

I have the scanner on the table. It is not hooked up to anything else - just plugged into the wall.

ansky

I have the scanner on the table. It is not hooked up to anything else - just plugged into the wall.

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but do you have an antenna connected? Also, where are you located?

I have a hunch - and it might not be right, but something worth checking: What you're describing sounds a lot like the transmitter popping out of the receiver's pass-band. If your receiver has a bandwidth switch for wide or narrow, try to set it to the wide position and listen for a while. See if they don't pop out anymore if you switch to wide bandwidth.

That could also explain why they are very loud over at Michael's.

They might not have narrowbanded (they're on T-Band and they don't have to narrowband) and might still be running with 20K0F3E wideband emissions.

===
I saw you have a Pro-96. You don't have one of these switches, so nevermind. But see my post below. That could help, and doing that trick might help you pull in the other towns.

Last edited:

The other thing that could be is that the Pro-96 can (for whatever reason) drift off frequency. This happened to mine on 800 and I have to add 0.00625 to the frequency to get clear reception. I'm too lazy and my Pro-96 is too beat up to tear into it to find out why or try to fix it.

Where I am right now, I have no T-Band licensees, so I don't know if my T-Band reception is affected, too. VHF seems to be fine.

Try to program in 477.34375 (+ 6.25 kHz) or 477.33125 (- 6.25 kHz) and see if that clears up your reception.

AC2OY

I don't get it - all I get is static when they speak. My unit is old, but is (I thought) in perfect condition.

Listening to them is useless because the static is louder than their voices. There is no static when they don't speak.

What kind of unit do you have AC2OY and ansky? I know AC2OY says 536, but I don't know what that means. (I'm not up on these things.)

I'm sorry it's a Uniden 536HP. I'll lock on to Bloomfield Police soon and try and record a little of on my iPad or iPhone so you can hear them Donna.

DonnaMarieNJ

Thank you everybody!!!

I am in Bloomfield, and no, I am not hooked up to an antenna.

Since several of you are close to me, can you recommend a place where I can get it fixed, or somewhere I can get a new one? I bought this on amazon, new, in 2010. I don't abuse it - it just sits and is constantly on. What I haven't tried yet, is to see how the other towns sound. However, I am really only interested in Bloomfield, since that is where I live.

I would like to hear West Orange and Montclair as they are close to me and I drive through WO to get to work on a regular basis.

I REALLY appreciate your help.

Donna

ansky

You can go to Radio Shack on Prospect Ave. in West Orange. I bought an antenna there a while back. You might want to bring in the scanner and show them to make sure you are buying a proper antenna.

DonnaMarieNJ

I need a new one like the one I already have on the unit? The short stubby one? Or are you saying something different?

When I purchased the unit I went to the Radio Shack in Bloomfield and West Caldwell. Neither store sold scanners any more and no one knew how to program one if I purchased elsewhere (which I did). I highly doubt they would have the antenna (maybe they could order it?)

ansky

I need a new one like the one I already have on the unit? The short stubby one? Or are you saying something different?

When I purchased the unit I went to the Radio Shack in Bloomfield and West Caldwell. Neither store sold scanners any more and no one knew how to program one if I purchased elsewhere (which I did). I highly doubt they would have the antenna (maybe they could order it?)

In your previous post you said you did not have an antenna connected. Do you have one or not? I know for a fact the West Orange Radio Shack store had antennas (I bought one there). Not sure if they still have them. You can call and ask or just stop over there.

People at Radio Shack are not going to program a scanner for you. The best way is to look up instructions online.

AC2OY

Donna
I'm in Bellville....shoot me a PM and maybe I can help you. If you use the scanner in the house a telescopic antenna does it for me for many Essex county towns Bloomfield,Montclair,Nutley,Newark....ect. Let me try and take a picture for you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 305

DonnaMarieNJ

All I have is what came in the box. The antenna that screws into the unit. I have nothing on the roof or outside.

So, if no one hears static when Bloomfield talks, then it must be my scanner.

It drives me crazy - it is so annoying. Hopefully, it is something simple.

AC2OY, I will PM you.

SCPD

QRT
All I have is what came in the box. The antenna that screws into the unit. I have nothing on the roof or outside.

So, if no one hears static when Bloomfield talks, then it must be my scanner.

It drives me crazy - it is so annoying. Hopefully, it is something simple.

AC2OY, I will PM you.

Thats all you should need as far as an antenna...I hear Bloomfield on 800Mhz, and Montclair is on their 500MHZ system loud and clear in Clifton,nj with no issues.You do not need a newer scanner for the 800mhz system.You want to be on the West Orange Site on the NJPSIC system for Montclair,since they are transitioning over to the 700mhz psicl.You can hear Montclair on 500mhz as of right now as another way. Radio shack PRO-668,Uniden BCD-436,536,996P2 will work on all the systems.The Pro96 doesnt decode Phase 2 for the 700mhz systems.........which will be the future for most but not all of NJ

Hey,Mike why you upsidedown again?

Last edited:

ansky

Bloomfield is not on the NJICS. You're probably thinking of Belleville. Also Montclair is not on an 800MHz system. They are on a 500MHz system as well as PD on the NJICS.

Status
Not open for further replies.