Diamond Quality Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tilt404

I don't know if anyone else has been having trouble with Diamond X50A or X30A antennas? Mainly with the mounting hardware. I am so fed up I'm never buying one of these again. The last X50A I had the bolt that holds the antenna to the mounting tube stripped making the antenna useless after that. Seemed to be just from wind and the thin tube they use flexes so much.

I got another X50A after that and noticed then they started to have 2 mounting screws on the antenna to attach it to the tube. So they must of thought there was some problem or issue.

I had a X30A just for a few months and its already moving around too much and the bolt holes on the antenna to the tube are oval now and you can see threads stripping from the bolt holes. Also I had to move it and one of the bolts on the U bracket seized up and the only way I could get it off was with a hack saw.

Then I had to use a alternate DIY mount and went to tighten the lower screw that clamps around the tube that has a bolt behind it in the aluminum bracket, and it seized up and I can't even move it in or out now. It seems to me the quality of materials are really sub standard and not even meant to take the stress of being up on a tower. Mine is just on a balcony so I'm able to see these things more easily.

I don't know why Diamond is going to cheap on the mounting hardware since if it fails then the antenna fails. Now I'm looking at getting the Comet version of this dual bander I have but its hardware from photos I've seen looks the same.

Last time I had this problem the shop I got it from here in Ontario Canada said they never had any issues and wouldn't take it back. They said I would have to send it to Diamond. Which would cost me more than its worth. I know once you put these up on a tower you never see them again, but I really can't trust these products any longer. Its happened with different models from the same manufacturer. Same problems.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Both of my Diamond X series antennas have been fine.

tilt404

People have been telling me that about past ones, but not sure if something changed in the last year or so with the parts they use, the mounting hardware that is.

I have two 15 foot Diamond antennas. The first one on 440 was fine, the second one for 2 meters had an incorrect coupling nut for the radome. I improvised to get it installed, but contacted the manufacturer's representative. They expressed the right part out to me and it's now complete. After that it's been working fine. I've had worse experiences with other manufacturers. At least the representative was concerned and immediately made it right.

On the mounts, I'm very close to salt water. Both antennas have been up for about 5 years and they're holding up pretty well while I can see other things I've got outside have already corroded.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I've had an X30A mounted on my rooftop since 2010. Never been serviced. Just put my analyzer on it this past week. 1.2.1 on UHF dead center, 1.3.1 on VHF dead center. Has survived many windy thunderstorms, scorching heat, our wicked winters, and has yet to fail.

Last summer I put up an X300 for my Echolink node on the back side of the house, about 40ft off the ground on a pole on the rear of my house. No problems yet.

The last X50A we had at our repeater site was purchased in 2001. It was just replaced last year and only out of an abundance of caution.

tilt404

I think why I had so much trouble was how I had to move the antennas at least once. Seems like once you back off the hardware from a secure position, the nuts and bolts don't do well. As if they prefer to just be tightened and stay there. If they were a stronger metal they would be able to be tightened, loosened and tightened again with no trouble. All this hardware for me strips so easily though now. Or for the mounting hardware will seize up when trying to back off from tight.

Lesson learned for me is to find better nuts and bolts and use my own replacement hardware from now on. Can't say its just a Diamond issue though. So sorry if my post here is pointing at them. I just know a Diamond discone antenna I had failed also compared to a Comet. Mainly due to the design. Its hard to decide since there is no store here where I can look before I buy. Still new to the hobby also so learning as I go.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I think why I had so much trouble was how I had to move the antennas at least once. Seems like once you back off the hardware from a secure position, the nuts and bolts don't do well. As if they prefer to just be tightened and stay there.

I think you are right, but keep in mind, these are sub $150 antennas, not infrastructure grade stuff like a DB products or Celwave, it's a ham grade antenna designed for residential permanent installation. The hardware they include is lightweight aluminum fasteners, most likely to keep both the cost low and the shipping weight low.

Status
Not open for further replies.