Hiding your radio in your vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
My main concern is a burglary to my vehicle.

I was wondering does anyone else hide their radios?
If so, how do you hide yours?

I have a remote head, but have yet to use it.

I currently have my radio on the dash of my vehicle.
I want it out of sight.

Any ideas on hiding it from view, would be great

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
With my recent change in employers, my commute has me going to a major downtown area.

My Kenwood TM-V71A is remote mounted with the radio duck tucked under the passenger seat. The control head easily removes and depending on where I park, I just disconnect the cable and place the control head in the glove box. The remote mount kit is designed for quick removal of the actual head. The control cable is attached with an RJ-11 so it easily disconnects from the head.

I have an employer supplied radio (03 head APX6500) coming that will be installed. The unit has a HHCH (handheld control head) so it will easily stow away.

Not sure what make/model of radio you use, but the older Motorola Astro Spectras with the W3 control head are getting very affordable. They're top notch radios that blow any ham stuff out of the water. The HHCH makes installation a breeze, and the speaker can be hidden behind a panel, the head just unplugged and stowed if not being used. Only indication of a radio would be the antenna itself.

PACNWDude

I have two Icom mobiles, F-1020 and F-2020 mounted inside the console of my truck. I keep the lid closed most of the time. The lid is removable for when I need to have the radio accessible. The seats of my truck have their own armrests.
Besides the NMO Laird whip and Antennex UHF Phantom antenna on top, which are both hard to see for someone not looking, there is no obvious radio visible.
Keeping radios hidden is smart. Also keeps the snoops from asking what you are listening to.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Glove box, center console,under seat. Having done many undercover installs for multiple agencies and 3 letter feds while at Motorola and those have always been my favorite.An old trick to kill the radio quickly was to use a hi/low beam switch hidden under the carpet. I don't know if you can still get them, but that was used to kill the radio if someone walked up to the vehicle during an op. Used to hide the antenna on the rear shelf and put a tissue box over it.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I use a black towel to cover whatever gear might be able to be seen from the outside. My window tinting helps and the towel adds a bit more coverage from anyone walking by.

PACNWDude

+1 on the window tinting. My vehicles are all tinted too.....and I am sure that helps.

Having some mounted into the dash and looking like the factory put them there also helps. Then others in the console, out of sight.

I don't frequent areas that have high crime or people busting out windows though. Also being sure to park near more expensive vehicles is a good thing to do.

prcguy

I've run an old Icom 706MKIIG in my last two trucks using the remote head on a Ram mount. The radio guts are mounted to a wooden board under the rear seat using theft deterring bolts and I always remove the control head when leaving the vehicle.

I also have an SGC 500w HF amplifier behind the drivers seat with a steel cable run through the heatsink fins and around the structural frame for the rear seats to a difficult to pick lock. You cannot move the amp more than a few inches without removing the steel cable. My Tarheel screwdriver HF antenna is also mounted with theft deterring bolts and it takes quite awhile to remove the antenna.

This should prevent the typical smash and run thief and I believe someone would have to steal the truck and take it somewhere if they were to be successful in removing the radio guts and amplifier, but at that point the radio is the least of my worries.

My belief is if you leave something in your vehicle in plain sight that is not bolted down then consider it disposable and sign up for a few broken windows.
prcguy

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
So it's probably worth noting whether or not you can get replacement heads/bodies for radios. I've seen heads get stolen by unedjumacated (insert appropriate stereotype) "suspect" that was unprofitable for all parties due to the value of a "CB" without a body and the value of replacing an entire FM radio due to not being able to purchase a replacement head. Of course, LMR heads are generally replaceable and some amateur heads are as well. So it's worth finding out before you take a ton of effort to hide a radio or few.

Also, some insurance policies do cover any electronics/communications equipment that is "bolted" (permanently installed) in a vehicle. May not cover the deductible for some amateur grade equipment but when you start talking about public safety grade the price of the equipment sky rockets. So if you are driving a make/model of vehicle that is commonly burglarized (97-11 Ford F-Series for example) just another point to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teufler

Over the years, I have had cb's and radar detectors removed from my cars, but never any ham equipment.,Scanners were never removed. I was an over the road salesman and traveled 60,000 miles a year. Lots of motels, always parked under the lights, then I got a red dash light and placed it on the dash at night. Perefectly legal, I was not in motion, I Guess descretion is the better part of valor, and if my car looked offical, guess they would move on to another. I always drove a late model car, similar to what the state HP drove. I mounted antennas, both in appearance and placement. For awhile, I had antennas that were mounted inside the rear glass on the back deck. Range wasn't great but I had peace of mind. Windows are tinted, Las Vegas Limo black with Las Vegas street legal on the front door glass. We all do what we have to do to protect our investmats in equipment. Detachable head radio designs have helped. Radio bodies, I have had to place them where they get good air flow, so under a seat, somewhere. Mounted in the center arm rests boxes, or in the glove box, soon , in summer , I get a message on the radio screen, "heat", then the radio shuts off by itself.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I use a towel the same color as the truck's interior to cover radio gear from view. Luckily, I don't have to park in urban areas.

Usually a towel, jacket or anything is just an invitation for a thief to break your window out. They think you've left your laptop, tablet or GPS behind.

Most thieves have no interest in radios. Not enough paid at a pawn shop. But if they think their might be something they can fence on Theftlist from there, you'll be calling Safelite for a new window.

rapidcharger

Over the years, I have had cb's and radar detectors removed from my cars, but never any ham equipment.,Scanners were never removed. I was an over the road salesman and traveled 60,000 miles a year. Lots of motels, always parked under the lights, then I got a red dash light and placed it on the dash at night. Perefectly legal, I was not in motion, I Guess descretion is the better part of valor, and if my car looked offical, guess they would move on to another. I always drove a late model car, similar to what the state HP drove. I mounted antennas, both in appearance and placement. For awhile, I had antennas that were mounted inside the rear glass on the back deck. Range wasn't great but I had peace of mind. Windows are tinted, Las Vegas Limo black with Las Vegas street legal on the front door glass. We all do what we have to do to protect our investmats in equipment. Detachable head radio designs have helped. Radio bodies, I have had to place them where they get good air flow, so under a seat, somewhere. Mounted in the center arm rests boxes, or in the glove box, soon , in summer , I get a message on the radio screen, "heat", then the radio shuts off by itself.

Where I come from the police cars are fair game for burglary, vandalism or outright theft. Don't think that means they won't mess with your car.
Not to mention it paints a giant bullseye on your butt for the real cops who don't like civilians driving similar vehicles to them. They hate that. And the limo tints... Whoooweee are they going to have fun with you if you venture outside of NV.

Most thieves have no interest in radios. Not enough paid at a pawn shop. But if they think their might be something they can fence on Theftlist from there, you'll be calling Safelite for a new window.

I know you're new to living in a high crime area but that's not exactly true. Drug attics will steal anything of any value if it gets them closer to their next fix. Just thought you might like to know.

ke6gcv

The brain to my radio is mounted out of view, only the face can be seen at the dash. Even then, I remove the face so that it can't be seen in certain public areas where the temptation for smash and grabs are high. Otherwise, all you see is the face and mic.

For one of my clients I used to install for, no equipment visibility was a requirement. The "brains of the operation" was hidden in a plastic 24" toolbox that was screwed to the floor. The radio head and other "optional extras" were mounted in the center console and/or glove box.

If remoting your radio head is not an option, I would suggest an in-dash mount if you can. It worked for me when I had my Dodge Intrepid. Not only was space an issue, but was not easily accessible when the car was broken into.

frazpo

I use an Icom 2730 with a remote head. I have a small zip up go bag that I put the head in when not in car. I tuck it back in the cargo area out of site. I of course take it in at night. The radio is under the seat and I will also hide the mic if I think about it.

Being former LEO I have always been careful about valuables in the car. I live on quiet culdesac in an area of no crime however it only took one time of forgetting to lose $300 worth in one night. I fell asleep early one evening and forgot to lock the car. On top of that I never left my HT in the car either and this night I did.
So, when you think the chances are slim that anything will happen just remember my experience :)

teufler

Rapidcharger: I have heard the county police once talking about "has the county got any Chyslers" because the paint on my car was almost the shade that the county uses on their cars. I live in Mo now, and have never been stopped or talked to about my window tint. The car now is not a current model, like it was several years ago. Other than it is a full size car, solid paint that is almost the color of the county cars, antennas placed on the car like the HP and County places theirs, I usually am not speeding, 7 or 8 over max, possibly only 5 over when I am out on the Interstates, use the cruise control to help me hold a speed that is accepted. The police , listening to radio traffic, seem to not be interested unless you are 10 or more over. I am not a chaser of radio calls, the police never bothers me. If anything, my car may hold down the speed when I am on the highways as people see it and slow down. And as Frazpo reported, you leave the car , unlocked and you are hammered. I left the car in the driveway over night. I went to the car, and the passenger door was slightly open and a radar detector was gone. This was driving a company Ford Taurus. Car didn't look official , no antennas, nothing .Another time was in Kansas City, where I came out in the morning from a motel, and found my passenger door glass in the parking lot. I was driving a family car, a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Probably theives though driving a car like that, they won't miss a window. After these two occurances, it has never happened again. Drove a smarter looking car, and the driver was smarter. ha ha

rapidcharger

Rapidcharger: I have heard the county police once talking about "has the county got any Chyslers" because the paint on my car was almost the shade that the county uses on their cars. I live in Mo now, and have never been stopped or talked to about my window tint. )))

In most places, the cops don't like look-alikes, replicas and posers.
And it's not just the cops that don't like them. Ordinary citizens don't like them either. More on that in a bit but consider yourself lucky. I think most places you would be stopped and questioned a lot.

((( The car now is not a current model, like it was several years ago. Other than it is a full size car, solid paint that is almost the color of the county cars, antennas placed on the car like the HP and County places theirs,)))

It sounds like you are trying hard to replicate a police vehicle. That can get you in a lot of trouble.

((( I usually am not speeding,)))
((( 7 or 8 over max, possibly only 5 over)))

So you're not speeding... you're just....
I dunno.
Um..
SPEEDING
facepalm.gif

(((when I am out on the Interstates, use the cruise control to help me hold a speed that is accepted. The police , listening to radio traffic, seem to not be interested unless you are 10 or more over.)))

Who said anything about speeding? They have reasonable articulable suspicion to pull you over when you look like a police imposter. You don't need to be speeding.

(((If anything, my car may hold down the speed when I am on the highways as people see it and slow down. )))

And THIS gets my blood boiling.
You create a traffic jam just so you can feel powerful.
I can't begin to tell you how inconsiderate this is.
In addition to impersonating an officer, you should get charged with obstructing the flow of traffic.

((( And as Frazpo reported, you leave the car , unlocked and you are hammered. I left the car in the driveway over night. I went to the car, and the passenger door was slightly open and a radar detector was gone. This was driving a company Ford Taurus. Car didn't look official , no antennas, nothing .Another time was in Kansas City, where I came out in the morning from a motel, and found my passenger door glass in the parking lot. I was driving a family car, a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Probably theives though driving a car like that, they won't miss a window. After these two occurances, it has never happened again. Drove a smarter looking car, and the driver was smarter. ha ha

In light of the most recent revelations, please, please please get real complacent and assume your posermobile won't be broken into.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Remote mount radios are the best way to hide a radio and antenna's mounted inside the vehicle give no indication of a radio. Glove box is the best for one maybe 2 radios, A 1 DIN AM/FM radio and a scanner or Motorola radio in the dash is another way as I have said before. A good loud car alarm is another way to keep the creepies away. Having lived in the outer boroughs of NYC having that alarm has saved my car and valuables more than once.

rapidcharger
How did we get from hiding radios to your somewhat rant about official looking cars. I drive a state issued company vehicle and they are the cheapened down model just like the cop cars. Some people don't want to pay 3-4K more for a car with all the bells and whistles, and I am one of them. As far as I know there in no law that says what you can or cannot drive as long as it is DOT legal. Get down from your high horse and help the poster or don't post. Plus now you started all the comments from others that really have nothing to do with the original posters request for info.

frazpo

Remote mount radios are the best way to hide a radio and antenna's mounted inside the vehicle give no indication of a radio. Glove box is the best for one maybe 2 radios, A 1 DIN AM/FM radio and a scanner or Motorola radio in the dash is another way as I have said before. A good loud car alarm is another way to keep the creepies away. Having lived in the outer boroughs of NYC having that alarm has saved my car and valuables more than once.

rapidcharger
How did we get from hiding radios to your somewhat rant about official looking cars. I drive a state issued company vehicle and they are the cheapened down model just like the cop cars. Some people don't want to pay 3-4K more for a car with all the bells and whistles, and I am one of them. As far as I know there in no law that says what you can or cannot drive as long as it is DOT legal. Get down from your high horse and help the poster or don't post. Plus now you started all the comments from others that really have nothing to do with the original posters request for info.

The original poster actually brought up the advantages to driving a car that resembled a patrol car.

Status
Not open for further replies.