Yaesu: FT1DR question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mon90ey

I've had this radio about a month. Works perfectly, except.....After programming the radio (I use CHIRP and the Yaesu software), I've noticed that the audio sounds just slightly fuzzy when using the radio in memory mode on the local repeaters. I first noticed this when checking in to a local net, I was told I sounded just a little off, so I went to a simplex frequency and checked my audio with another local ham some thirty miles away on a base. He said it sounded fine. I then started paying attention to my received audio on other repeaters and it was still doing it. Then I turned on my FT-60 and checked the received audio against it. The FT-60 was clear as a bell, both on the on the repeaters and using the VFO. Checked it against a VX-8r. VX-8R was also clear as a bell on both. Then I monitored another local net. FT1DR was slightly fuzzy on that repeater when using the memory but clear on the same frequency on the VFO. FT-60 and VX-8r were both clear on both. Checked it against a Baofeng UV-5r; same thing.

I decided to do a complete reset on the radio, so I copied the memory to a memory card, pulled it out and did the reset. Entered a couple of local repeaters by hand and checked it again. Same result. The VFO was clear and the memory channel was just a little bit fuzzy. This one has me baffled. I should mention that I tried the radio both in the FM analog mode and the auto mode. No difference. All of my local repeaters are analog.

It's not unreadable by any means, but it IS annoying, and I'm not sure what's going on with it, but without a bench and the proper gear, I'm stumped. Anyone had this happen or know of what it might be? Thanks for any suggestions you might have.....

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Not sure is applicable, but check your input frequency on your memory frequencies. Not to familiar with CHIRP but do you have to use the input frequency [that is 147.21 for receive and 147.81 for input] or can use use AUTO repeater offset 0.60. Yaesu does not require inputing 147.81 as when using 147.21 and if set up for AUTO will do the + offset and the correct frequency. Having done it by hand should insure proper frequency. But I have heard a lot of people that are fuzzy and when they finally look at their input frequency, they are off frequency enough. So this may be one thing to exclude first.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I am not experiencing that issue with my FT1DR, but I am not using CHIRP. I will have to give it a spin as the last time I checked it was not ready/dependable. Oh...yeah, it's still in daily builds. I'll wait. I've had interesting results with CHIRP, so your experience does not surprise me. Hopefully, it will improve over time as it has with other radios.

I am using rtSystems software. Just the software to write to the card. It was $25. https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/FT-1D-programming-software-and-USB-cable-s/2244.htm

It appears G4HFQ also makes software for the HT. It was not available when I purchased the rtSystems software several months ago. I have used other versions of his software for a VX3R and 817ND and am quite pleased. I believe the cost is $15. I may purchase it too for the FT1DR. G4HFQ Software

k6cpo

One of the members of my club had trouble with the Yaesu software for the FT1DR. When he called Yaesu, he was told (by a Yaesu technician) to forget the Yaesu software, that it was something cobbled together in a hurry and not very good.

I tried it myself on my FT1DR and found it to be totally inadequate. I also had difficulties with the G4HFQ software. I finally did what I should have done in the first place and that was purchase the RT Systems software. I have used RT Systems programming on four other Yaesu models and it has always worked perfectly.

mancow

Database Admin
One of the members of my club had trouble with the Yaesu software for the FT1DR. When he called Yaesu, he was told (by a Yaesu technician) to forget the Yaesu software, that it was something cobbled together in a hurry and not very good.

I tried it myself on my FT1DR and found it to be totally inadequate. I also had difficulties with the G4HFQ software. I finally did what I should have done in the first place and that was purchase the RT Systems software. I have used RT Systems programming on four other Yaesu models and it has always worked perfectly.

Are you talking about ADMS-6? I literally just finished programming with mine. It seemed fine to me.

Aero125

RT Systems orks great with the FT1D and you don't even have to buy the cable from them. My opinion is when you pay that much for a radio, another $25 to manage programming and other setup is a no-brainer.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Unless I haven't been paying attention, I didn't know Yaesu made software for their radios. CHIRP is great for what it can do, but it rarely has the refinement of RT or software written specifically for one radio. I like CHIRP for my laptop because it covers many of my radios. When I get a new radio, I use either the manufacture's software or RT for the initial code plug and CHIRP when I am away from my desktop computer.

mancow

Database Admin
Unless I haven't been paying attention, I didn't know Yaesu made software for their radios. CHIRP is great for what it can do, but it rarely has the refinement of RT or software written specifically for one radio. I like CHIRP for my laptop because it covers many of my radios. When I get a new radio, I use either the manufacture's software or RT for the initial code plug and CHIRP when I am away from my desktop computer.

http://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=8844&FileCatID=42&FileName=FT1D%20ADMS%5F6%5FEXP.zip&FileContentType=application%2Fx%2Dzip%2Dcompressed

I tried Chirp with the FT1D. It was horrible. Things were mixed up when transferred.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I also had difficulties with the G4HFQ software.
Thank you, you saved me $15. I was going to do it to easily import/export freqs from other radios that use it.

My experience with rtSystems is fantastic. I received old software with a used radio I purchased and they sent me updated software and a new cable, no charge. I don't even think I paid shipping. I just had to scan and send them the current license.

mon90ey

Thanks everyone who replied. Seems I have some more investigating to do. Since CHIRP seems to be a hit or miss and the Yaesu stuff is questionable as well, the RT route is looking pretty good. Since I tried a couple of frequencies by hand with no measurable improvement, I'm still not convinced its all software, but time will tell. If I find the cure, I'll post a note to let everyone know what I found. If anyone else comes up with something, I would appreciate hearing about it. Once again thanks to all.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Thinking on this further, I am wondering if the programmed frequencies had the power set to low, while the VFO programming was set to high. This radio is new to me as well, so I'm not sure if it would switch like that, or stay on high if set there. Worth checking.

We have not received our DR-1 repeater yet, so I have not fooled around with the digital side, even simplex. I should read the manual.

N8OHU

I am not experiencing that issue with my FT1DR, but I am not using CHIRP. I will have to give it a spin as the last time I checked it was not ready/dependable. Oh...yeah, it's still in daily builds. I'll wait. I've had interesting results with CHIRP, so your experience does not surprise me. Hopefully, it will improve over time as it has with other radios.

CHIRP needs the support of the community that owns the FT-1DR and other Yaesu Radios to get it out of "beta", so why not download an updated version of the software and test it now.

w1haf

I use the Yaesu Adams6 software designed for the FT1D. It was a free download from their website. It was just updated 06.09.15. It took a little time to learn where all the controls are in the software. It seems to work fine. [emoji41]

Last edited:

k6cpo

RT Systems orks great with the FT1D and you don't even have to buy the cable from them. My opinion is when you pay that much for a radio, another $25 to manage programming and other setup is a no-brainer.

Indeed. I have the RT Systems software for all my radios with the exception of my two Wouxun Commercial radios and my Baofeng UV05R. The Wouxun programming software was a free download from Powerwerx (where I bought them) and I used Chirp to program the Baofeng (which just sits and collects dust now.)

There has Yaesu branded software out there for most of their HTs in the past, but when you open the box, the discs are marked RT Systems... I have the RT Systems Software for five different models of Yaesu radio, Chirp for my Baofeng UV-5RE and Wouxun software for two KG-UVA1 Commercial HTs. It all resides on a netbook computer that is still running Windows XP. I don't use the netbook for much more than programming radios, logging and digital modes (which I don't do often.)

I use the Yaesu Adams6 software designed for the FT1D. It was a free download from their website. It was just updated 06.09.15. It took a little time to learn where all the controls are in the software. It seems to work fine. [emoji41]

Are you talking about ADMS-6? I literally just finished programming with mine. It seemed fine to me.

Perhaps the updated version is better. Since I already have the RT Systems software, I'm not inclined to try it.

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
A word of caution about software

I downloaded the same file from the Yaesu site, showing the same date as you saw, and version 1.02.13. Unfortunately, the latest date in the downloaded ZIP file is Jul 22 2014, and the software reports version 1.02.11. My guess is that there is an updated copy of ADMS-6 floating around somewhere in Yaesu HQ, but someone screwed up in loading it onto the web site.

As to Chirp, scrambled radio frequencies are not unique to the above report. When using Chirp with the Icom ID-880H, some frequencies get scrambled as well.

For example, the "very obscure" frequency 121.5 MHz is stored as 67.? MHz.

Since I wrote command-line software support (open source: D-StarCom - D-Star Radio Common Data Exchange Utility ) for the ID-880H, I reported this to Dan Smith, detailing exactly what the problem was and (in design terms) how to fix it. It has gone unfixed for more than a year.

I also adapted Chirp's support for the Icom ID-31, to the ID-51. During that process, I fixed significant bugs in Chirp for the ID-31, that indicated a woeful lack of proper testing.

Dan is a good friend, but he (and his volunteers) have too much on their plates, and "less popular" radios languish for bug fixes. As a result, I do not use Chirp, and I cannot recommend it at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.