Just ordered a BCD325P2 kinda lost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredg

Premium Subscriber
Well I am stepping into the digital world! I just ordered a BCD325P2. My plan is to use ARC-XT Pro software as I want the virtual control.

I am playing with ARC-XT while waiting for the scanner to arrive.

Clearly I need to do some reading on digital systems as I am lost!

I have a RR subscription... I selected KS and then Lyon County (I am in Emporia) then selected KSICS. This is where I get lost...

It shows 84 Sites and 1508 Talkgroups. I figured I could just load everything up and then deselect after that. When I try I get an error: "TG Limit Reached" I assume this is because I am using the DEMO version right now, is that the case? Or is 1508 Talkgroups to many?

Any tips on how to get started?

Thanks!!

EDIT: Also checking out ProScan... some prefer it to ARC-XT... I do like the ProScan interface better... and it's cheaper!!

Last edited:

shadcall

Just use the tower for Lyon County. You may also want to use the statewide tower which is listed. After that select only the talkgroups relevant to you. For example you will not want to download talkgroups for Topeka or Russell since they are to far away. You will want to enter whatever Troop the KHP uses in your area and then look through and download any that might be used statewide or are interoperatability. Also if there is an "E" in the mode column do not download those as they are encrypted and you will not hear them. After that download anything of interest to you such as aircraft, railroads etc.

fredg

Premium Subscriber
Just use the tower for Lyon County. You may also want to use the statewide tower which is listed. After that select only the talkgroups relevant to you. For example you will not want to download talkgroups for Topeka or Russell since they are to far away. You will want to enter whatever Troop the KHP uses in your area and then look through and download any that might be used statewide or are interoperatability. Also if there is an "E" in the mode column do not download those as they are encrypted and you will not hear them. After that download anything of interest to you such as aircraft, railroads etc.

Lyon county is on the Reading tower... but there are no TalkGroups.

WQEM918 (KANSAS, STATE OF) FCC Callsign Details

How do I figure out the statewide tower?

fredg

Premium Subscriber
OK.. I think I am getting it figured out...

The part that confuses me is the KHP... how do I figure out what tower to use?

Is the Reading tower for KHP? I think not since there are no Talkgroups. Would the Reading tower be for Emporia PD and Lyon County SO?

R

retiredmich

shadcall, I have Topeka & Russell & other TG on my RS PRO 106 & I get them loud & clear & I live in Eastern Ks . FYI !

fredg

Premium Subscriber
retiredmich! Help me figure this out please! I think I understand most of it... but one thing is still not clear...

One the page Kansas Statewide Interoperable Communication System (KSICS) Trunking System, Statewide, Kansas - Scanner Frequencies the top part is "System Frequencies" and the bottom is the "Talkgroups" how do I know what System Frequencies to use for what Talkgroups?

I think if I can grasp that I will get it.. LOL

EDIT: So if I use the "Reading System Frequencies" and put in ALL the Talkgroups I would only get the Talkgroups within range of the Reading tower, right?

Also, how do I know what System Frequency a Talkgroup is on?

Last edited:

daves1243

Premium Subscriber
Admittedly, I know just enough about this to be dangerous, but here's the way I understand it.

Talkgroups and towers are independent of each other.

You can listen to any tower that is within range of your receiver. Each tower transmits all traffic from all system radios that it can hear, regardless of talkgroup.

Talkgroups aren't tied to any specific transmitter site/tower, they are tied to specific radios or users.

For starters, I would suggest selecting the transmitter sites/towers that are within range of your location and in the area you want to monitor. Then, select the talkgroups/agencies you want to monitor.

You may be surprised at what you can hear. For example, a radio tied to a talkgroup from a distant part of the state may travel through your area. As long as that radio is within range of one of "your" towers, you will be able to hear everything on that talkgroup...even though the people talking are actually quite far away...provided you have selected that talkgroup for monitoring.

Hope this helps.

fredg

Premium Subscriber
Thanks daves! It is starting to sink in after reading tons of stuff!!

provided you have selected that talkgroup for monitoring.

That's the kicker... you would almost have to add all 1,500+ Talkgroups so you can catch the ones traveling through.

But that seems like it would make for slow scanning... still confused on this part...

Redneck0410

I have the entire system on both my Pro652 and my 106, it isn't that slow scanning. What I did was add only the primary Control channels, which is like 32 unique channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredg

Premium Subscriber
I have the entire system on both my Pro652 and my 106, it isn't that slow scanning. What I did was add only the primary Control channels, which is like 32 unique channels.

And you have all the Talkgroups? Like 1,500+?

I think I have it figured out.. check my post with the ProScan pics.

Also, I learned that if I do ID SEARCH with my entered data I will still get hits on stuff I do not have entered, and if I do ID SCAN I will only get hits on the Talkgroups I have programed.

I think I am starting to get it!! :)

Redneck0410

I have all the unencrypted talk groups, plus a wild card to catch any new ones. The last few days I've been picking up Clay County SO, plus KHP Troop H.

daves1243

Premium Subscriber
The way I understand it...and there are lots more knowledgeable than me, I'm sure...the radio scans frequencies/control channels. When a transmission is detected, it checks to see whether the talkgroup is one you want to hear. If yes, it plays the audio. If not, it moves on.

Adding talkgroups only slows scanning down if there is traffic. Having said that, here are probably going to be talkgroups on the KSICS system that you don't care to listen to. For example, I live in Lawrence, and I don't monitor the garbage trucks.

Not sure how your radio works, but on mine it's easier to just set those talkgoups to avoid when they pop up, rather than trying to edit the list of talkgroups every time I load a database update.

Redneck0410

And you have all the Talkgroups? Like 1,500+?

I think I have it figured out.. check my post with the ProScan pics.

Also, I learned that if I do ID SEARCH with my entered data I will still get hits on stuff I do not have entered, and if I do ID SCAN I will only get hits on the Talkgroups I have programed.

I think I am starting to get it!! :)

I have 1478 talk groups on my scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.