LVMPD & a BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanNV

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone using the Uniden BCD536HP to listen to Metro?

I've been trying to, but I'm not receiving any Metro or P25 that I can tell. I am getting conventional LE, from Vegas all the way into Washington County Utah with my ST2 antenna.

All I have done was entered my ZIP with a radius of 50 miles.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
You may have to create a fl with the sites from vegas the scanner is not checking the vegas sites? Increase the range? Is the antenna pointed toward Vegas? I would think you could hear the APEX site? I have read in the forums the ST-2 is weak on 800. Maybe try another antenna?

titanNV

Premium Subscriber
So the P25 freqs aren't scanned simply by entering ZIP code?

I'm sorry for all the questions. This scanner so far, has done nothing my BCT15X didn't do. I'm thinking of sending it back soon because it was supposed to be plug and play basically - and it isn't. Would rather get some of it's potential out of it instead but the return window is limited.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I live in Los Angeles but have had my 436HP and 536HP out with me several times in Las Vegas. I get excellent results on P25, especially, LVMPD, which uses some Phase 2 P25.
I would spend some time reading stuff like the Easier to read 436HP/536HP manual" available at Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual
The BCT15X is a great scanner, but the 536HP will open up all kinds of new listening experiences for you, especially in an area like Las Vegas. They advertise the 536HP as just plug-and-play. But I, and many others on Radio Reference who have been scanning a long time, found it to be anything but really plug-and-play.
It's easy to just use the zip code feature, but being able to create favorite lists and hone down what you want to listen to takes time to learn, but it most certainly is worth it.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
What can you hear now

So the P25 freqs aren't scanned simply by entering ZIP code?

I'm sorry for all the questions. This scanner so far, has done nothing my BCT15X didn't do. I'm thinking of sending it back soon because it was supposed to be plug and play basically - and it isn't. Would rather get some of it's potential out of it instead but the return window is limited.

Are you entering your Mesquite Zip code or something for Vegas 89111? How high up is the antenna? What feeder coax are you using the RG-6 it came with? That could be a problem for loss issues on higher freqs? Have you tried an amp? You are some 80 miles away from Vegas. Line of site to the repeater is important in your case. Can you hear the SNACC system (Fire Department CCFD/NLVFD/Henderson FD)?
What site is that coming over for you? What about Nellis P25 system? Have you tried that? I'm trying to help you narrow down if it's antenna or scanner programming that's causing the problem. Have you updated the sentinel database recently on the scanner? I once clicked update database and it did so on the computer but I forgot to send to scanner.

Last edited:

titanNV

Premium Subscriber
I have not heard anything higher than UHF on this scanner. To eliminate any antenna issue, I just put the stock antenna back on, and it's only about 6ft above ground indoors.

(The ST-2 is only about 6 ft high with long RG6 cable - with a VHF/UHF range from Vegas all the way up near Hurricane UT)

I also went through programming the Favorites List with SNACC, SNACC Project 25, and LVMPD only; set FL quick keys as well as service quick keys and site quick keys.

Scanning only the Favorites Lists noted above.

No hits at all.

I am wondering if the entire bands are locked out, or if this unit is simply defective.

Yes I have downloaded to the scanner.

Appreciate your help.

(PS you are welcome to shoot me a file to import. It might help me if some bands are simply locked out or this is some sort of operator error. I can edit a copy for my own use while leaving original intact.)

Last edited:

titanNV

Premium Subscriber
No actually I never tried. I only wanted to hear local stuff.
I was able to hear NHP, UHP, Washington County, Mohave, etc - but I disabled all of those.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I was thinking about my last trip in that area, one has to drive downhill from Moapa past the riverside exit to get to Mesquite right? So you'd need a tower antenna setup at best. Not surprised NHP they have a site near by for the EDACS system. Have you asked around anyone in town with a scanner? Go take a drive and look for antennas. Knock on doors and ask what they hear. I'm thinking just the telescope antenna won't do from there. Sorry can't be further assistance your location is the problem. It's mostly about line of sight.

titanNV

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking possibly the issue could be the the LVMPD system used here (site) is not in the database - because if it isn' in the database - it ain't gonna scan.
Remember LVMPD is the county sheriff from the California border all the way to the north east AZ border.

At any rate, I do appreciate your time, sir.

emtjohn

There are 2 towers for the Metro system in the Mesquite area. Mesquite PD and Fire just went on the system a week or two ago. I have no idea on which talkgroups. Both encrypted anyway....

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Well there you go. Maybe someday soon that information will make it to the rrdb? Can you confirm have you lost Mesquite FD on the bct15x?

Last edited:

iamretirednev

LV Metro and my BCD436HP

I had a time getting Metro to work also, there two listings for metro on radioreference, I did the update of my unit and reloaded the freq and found the right metro freqs, but there are many tweaks to finally get to hear them. I am still trying to learn to write in sentinel, there is a csv update and pdf's for metro from june 27th, I believe if you know how to put it in sentinel, i don't, anyway check this two URL's

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Trunking System, Las Vegas, Nevada - Scanner Frequencies

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Trunking System, Las Vegas, Nevada - Scanner Frequencies

coolrich55

I don't think it's a problem with RR. I had my PRO 668 with me on the strip and worked flawlessly. And that scanner is programmed through the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.