Kenwood: Service Center East

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Long story short, I sent a TM-271A in with the ubiquitous filter problems as instructed by amateur product support. It was received on June 15th so my shipment tracking states. Over a week later without hearing anything even confirming receipt or check in, I called this past Monday the 22nd.

"Oh yeah, it's here. It's in the hands of a tech. That is all I can tell you".
Now they don't even answer their phones. Call 757-340-1702 and select the option to speak to a rep and you'll just get bounced back to the main menu tree after the IVR tells you "your party is not answering". No option to leave a voice mail. Got the same thing yesterday when I tried calling at 9AM, 2:45 and 4:44PM.

No option to contact them via email, so their barren website states. Website states they'll email you updates but they don't. This operation is obviously a small business but they really need to get their act together.
It's 2015. People expect to be able to go to a website, input a serial number or tracking number, and find out what is going on with a service ticket.

Anyone have any contact info for them? I find it absurd that JVC Kenwood would farm out factory repair to schleps who can't even be bothered to answer the phone during BUSINESS HOURS. I have an LMR dealer account but my rep says they have nothing to do with amateur products and just told me to call customer NO service.

What a PITA.

rapidcharger

Did it ever occur to you that they just don't feel like it?

Besides even if they do open the box, it's not like they're going to fix it anyway. They send it back to you with a whole new problem.

But have no sympathy for you. You knew what they were like from my recent experience and sent the radio there anyway. To use your famous line, that was a real t-r-d thing to to.

Maybe you should contact ken wood directly. That's what it took for me.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Did it ever occur to you that they just don't feel like it?

To quote Judge Judy, "I am not interested in feelings. Want to talk about feelings?, go on Dr. Phil."

But have no sympathy for you. You knew what they were like from my recent experience and sent the radio there anyway.

Not asking for sympathy. Looking for solutions. Your experience differed from the many that said great things about the service received from Kenwood Service Center East. Aside, there are only two choices for so-called factory authorized service for Kenwood AMATEUR radio products in the USA so it's not like we have any real choice. The reviews on their west coast service center were dismal.

Maybe you should contact ken wood directly. That's what it took for me.

I've done that today. They apologized and said they would reach out to their service center east and promised a call back before the end of the business day. It's 3:32PM EST, so they have about an hour and a half or so to make good on that.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Now 3 hours later. Quittin' time on the west coast.
Did you get your call returned? Did you speak to Leo Fahmie?

Nope. No return call, or response to the email I sent either. What a shock. Not.

If I get time I'll call them tomorrow. Obviously customer service is not on their list of priorities. I'll certainly keep this in mind for future purchases of radio equipment, both for personal and professional use.

rapidcharger

Well I was waiting for a call back too. Instead I got emailed at an email address I didn't leave and frankly didn't want to be contacted by. But after some persistence it all worked out in the end.
You should check your email that is on file with qrz.

And remember, it's all about feelings.

N4KVE

Years ago, my friend had repair work done by them. The radio was eventually fixed, but communications was horrible. This was before the internet, & phone menus. While they did answer the phone, it was like speaking to the wall. Icom has outsourced some of their repairs to 3rd party centers. SAR in Michigan comes to mind. A guy named Matt runs that place. I remember him from the days of Standard ham radios. He fixes the radios, & answers the phone Communications couldn't be better, & his work is excellent. He has a perfect score on E-Ham. So while this is a Kenwood thread, I would suggest anyone who needs work done on an Icom to call Matt @ SAR. I actually once asked him if he would work on a Kenwood for $. He chuckled, & replied no.

Last edited:

kc4jgc

MTS,

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much difficulty.

The main reason I have Kenwood gear is that if I need work done the service center is just a few miles away. Always had great service. The two mobile rigs I have (TM-621 & 631) are unfortunately now on a Kenwood no longer support list. They won't touch them, not even to replace a memory battery, which has to be soldiered in.

Before AVSL contracted with Kenwood, they would fix any amateur gear. They fixed a problem I had with a Yaesu HT I once owned!

The founder of AVSL became an SK some years back; his wife I believe has retired. I'm acquainted with one of the techs there, though I haven't talked to him in quite a while. He may now be retired as well for all I know.

All I can say is keep on 'em; I hope things work out for you.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Years ago, my friend had repair work done by them. The radio was eventually fixed, but communications was horrible. This was before the internet, & phone menus. While they did answer the phone, it was like speaking to the wall.

That hasn't changed. They aren't necessarily rude, just unhelpful and hard to get on the phone.

I guess it's just the sign of the times, and all the more reason to buy LMR gear. At least if it breaks, there are a plethora of competent authorized service centers. You get what you pay for.

Sad because it shows that both Icom and Kenwood are dialing down their support for their amateur products by farming out repairs to one man shows. I am glad at least Icom picked someone who has customer service skills. Good to know. AVSL could learn something from him in my experience thus far.

The main reason I have Kenwood gear is that if I need work done the service center is just a few miles away.

You probably don't get blown off when you're local. More reason for them to take care of you. But as I have found out in the Internet age, many businesses who operate online lack basic customer SERVICE skills: like COMMUNICATION, being the main pillar.

I wouldn't keep calling if someone knew how to send/respond/accept emails at AVSL. They specifically tell you NOT to email them asking for status of repairs which means you must call and pester them. They claim they will send you an email when they receive your item, they never bothered to do so.

It will be coming up on 2 weeks since they've received my radio and can't even tell me what work has/will/will not be done, all they say is "a tech has it".

I am glad they deal with walk-ins more professionally. Sadly I don't live anywhere near Virginia Beach to see if my experience would be any different.

rapidcharger

At least if it breaks, there are a plethora of competent authorized service centers. You get what you pay for.)))

How well did that work out the last time you had to send in a vertext standard LMR radio? I seem to remember very similar problems

(((
You probably don't get blown off when you're local. More reason for them to take care of you. But as I have found out in the Internet age, many businesses who operate online lack basic customer SERVICE skills: like COMMUNICATION, being the main pillar.

I had a much different experience with AVSL of Virginia Beach when it comes to communication.
They were really easy to get on the phone. They called me back and packages didn't go missing. (I followed their instructions and didn't cheap out and send it via USPS).

Of course I ended up getting the radio back with a whole new problem, to which they thought I was crazy and that marked the start of a whole new poopstorm. It was probably THAT that led to them not answering the phone anymore. Whoops. did I do that?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
How well did that work out the last time you had to send in a vertext standard LMR radio? I seem to remember very similar problems

Pretty good actually once they got the radio checked in. Replaced everything as requested, tuned and aligned it and sent it out within 24 hours. They did take their time "setting up an account" but unlike AVSL, they didn't just say "a tech is working on it". They gave a specific window in which to expect the unit returned, and followed through.

I had a much different experience with AVSL of Virginia Beach when it comes to communication.
They were really easy to get on the phone. They called me back and packages didn't go missing. (I followed their instructions and didn't cheap out and send it via USPS).

Of course I ended up getting the radio back with a whole new problem, to which they thought I was crazy and that marked the start of a whole new poopstorm. It was probably THAT that led to them not answering the phone anymore. Whoops. did I do that?

How long was it between when you sent the unit in and got it back? We're on 2 weeks now and AFAIK, not a thing has been done other than it is sitting in a pile of broken radios on their "techs" bench.

rapidcharger

Pretty good actually once they got the radio checked in. Replaced everything as requested, tuned and aligned it and sent it out within 24 hours. They did take their time "setting up an account" but unlike AVSL, they didn't just say "a tech is working on it". They gave a specific window in which to expect the unit returned, and followed through. )))

Oh ok. I remember hearing a very angry upset... lot of complaints but it was so long ago now that my recollection may not be that good.

How long was it between when you sent the unit in and got it back? We're on 2 weeks now and AFAIK, not a thing has been done other than it is sitting in a pile of broken radios on their "techs" bench.

I don't remember that either to be honest. I want to say it was about a week. I was pretty patient though and didn't really care too much about when it came back, just that it came back working, which it didn't. That much I do remember.

Maybe you need to pray for it.
You should send a S.A.S.E. to 110 s. main st, arlington sd and I hear they will send you a free one time packet of literature to assist you with your prayers.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Maybe you need to pray for it.
You should send a S.A.S.E. to 110 s. main st, arlington sd and I hear they will send you a free one time packet of literature to assist you with your prayers.

No prayers or puffery needed. I did call Kenwood Amateur Customer support, and spoke to an unnamed gentleman who did say he would "send an email to the manager" and that was all he could do.

I was on my way to a call so I just wrote it off, but no less than 30 min later I got a call from an older sounding lady who left a voicemail (was on the phone with work) and stated that my radio had been repaired at no charge, and it would be shipping back to me tomorrow.

So...we shall see. But at least I finally got SOME substantive communication from SOMEONE telling me more than "a tech has it".

Now we shall see if the radio is actually fixed. Will update accordingly.

SCPD

QRT
I was on my way to a call so I just wrote it off, but no less than 30 min later I got a call from an older sounding lady who left a voicemail (was on the phone with work) and stated that my radio had been repaired at no charge, and it would be shipping back to me tomorrow.

Glad it worked out.

To be fair (after working in a computer repair shop for a few years) it's hard to repair anything when customers are calling all the time to find out "when is MY product going to be ready!?"

I know how you feel but since I've been on both ends it's really a shame they don't have some web site providing basic status updates. That would *really* save them time and aggravation.

In the end though, you won't satisfy every customer no matter how easy you make it for them.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
To be fair (after working in a computer repair shop for a few years) it's hard to repair anything when customers are calling all the time to find out "when is MY product going to be ready!?"

That's exactly what they instruct the customer to do:
We are not able to respond to periodic status checks on your unit by e-mail. Status checks can be made by calling the following number:

I know how you feel but since I've been on both ends it's really a shame they don't have some web site providing basic status updates. That would *really* save them time and aggravation.

In my organization we have a ticketing system. Every subscriber radio that I touch a ticket is generated. The user is given that ticket number both in person and by email. They can check the status at anytime. Our tracking and asset software automatically emails them updates of the repair process, even if it has to go to a local MSS for depot service or advanced repair. They are given my direct line. I am required to respond during business hours within 30 minutes.

In the end though, you won't satisfy every customer no matter how easy you make it for them.

One's attitude determines how one's interaction with a customer will go. If one views a customer as a "bother" or "distraction", then the interaction will be as you say.

If one believes they are there to SERVE the customer, then the outcome will be positive, even if everything does not go as planned.

It's all about what one's priority is. Where I work, every customer is the reason my position was created. I desire to make sure they ALL get served with respect, and a good attitude even if they may not have one with me. That is known as service recovery.

That's how some businesses get 5 star ratings and some get slammed with poor reviews. It is not rocket science to provide good customer service, but it starts with a desire to have a good attitude towards the customer, and follow up with communication.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Radio came in today

Will change by "thumbs down" to a "thumbs up", according to the invoice, they replaced both wideband and narrow filters, and "tested the radio to manufacturer specifications". I did not see on the invoice if DC blocking capacitors were added to prevent the new filters from going bad, but I also have not opened the radio to inspect the work. There was no charge for the parts, labor or return shipping via UPS.

I did bench the radio and it is working as it should, rated P/O, on frequency with 4.85KC of deviation on wide, 2.39KC on narrow, freq error of less than 8Hz, so it's pretty dead on. Power on HI was 68 watts, 23watts on LOW.

We will see if it holds up. Maybe if I'm bored I'll crack the case open and see if they installed the DC blocking capacitors, if not, I may add them myself.

All in all, they did a good job of repair, and pretty expedient, but they really need to work on their communication skills. Should not have had to require a call to Kenwood customer service to get the ball rolling.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Is this the same filter problem that the TM-D710 and TM-V71 had?

If so, I don't think the blocking capacitors are needed...at least not in Kenwood's mind. It was my understanding that the filter problem developed because of a bad batch of filters. Yes, Kenwood could have avoided the problem in the first place by using the capacitors. But, I'm thinking that the new filters are less susceptible to the problem.

P.S. Can I change the thread icon to a smiley face or thumbs-up? I have the ability to do so.

P.P.S. This is the first time I've noticed your callsign. Nice vanity call.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Is this the same filter problem that the TM-D710 and TM-V71 had?

Yep, sure is.

If so, I don't think the blocking capacitors are needed...at least not in Kenwood's mind. It was my understanding that the filter problem developed because of a bad batch of filters. Yes, Kenwood could have avoided the problem in the first place by using the capacitors. But, I'm thinking that the new filters are less susceptible to the problem.

According to this article, DC on the input and output of the filters is what causes them to degrade and fail, according to this article. So just replacing them won't necessarily cure the problem unless the manufacturers are building in DC blocking caps in the filter itself. Makes sense to me.

But, I'm thinking that the new filters are less susceptible to the problem.

Time will tell, I use this as a primary base radio for analog FM. It has a very good receiver and loud audio, so when someone gets on our EL system, I can hear them across the house from the front-facing speaker!

P.S. Can I change the thread icon to a smiley face or thumbs-up? I have the ability to do so.

Sounds fair to me.

P.P.S. This is the first time I've noticed your callsign. Nice vanity call.

Thanks, I got it back in 2007 and gave up my legacy novice call, which was KB4TPP. Love the XTS radios, now I am responsible for maintaining several hundred of them, though they are getting long in the tooth.

rapidcharger

I was told those radios "align themselves" so I'm not sure why it wouldn't show perfectly on frequency, xmit deviation and alla dat.

Enjoy your restored radio. I know for a fact the original owner took REAL GOOD CARE of it !

There's only about 8,000 hours of talk time on that radio!
ok.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.