Foxwoods fire apparatus

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
Has Foxwoods fire changed their apparatus numbering or have they added new apparatus because of the opening of the Tanger shopping mall? I heard engine ET159 rsponding to alarms at the mall.

B.K.

kmacinct

Few months ago, Foxwoods changed from the "Letter" designation to the "Number" system.
Nothing to do with the Mall

They are Station 59 (Dispatch remains PQ)

There have been a few other departments requesting to change from 'letters' to 'numbers'

Work in progress -

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Letters to numbers is going to be a confusing system. I have heard of this shift and have yet to hear a valid reason why there should be a change. The system works in the county, even if some of the letters make no sense.

G makes sense for Groton, W for Waterford, M for Montville even A for New London as a semi-county seat makes some sense ... but ... B for East Lyme, Y for Lyme, H for North Stonington , were these letters chosen from a random Bingo drawing?

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Letters to numbers is going to be a confusing system. I have heard of this shift and have yet to hear a valid reason why there should be a change. The system works in the county, even if some of the letters make no sense.

G makes sense for Groton, W for Waterford, M for Montville even A for New London as a semi-county seat makes some sense ... but ... B for East Lyme, Y for Lyme, H for North Stonington , were these letters chosen from a random Bingo drawing?

If they all go to the number system it may get some getting used to,and yeah i wondered the same thing for the other letters for east lyme. Lyme. Etc. lol

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber

Confusion exists already as Old Lyme is using the station numbers 37,38 & 39 dispatched by VS. In Tolland County, Warehouse Point uses 38 and Broad Brook uses 39 dispatched by TN.

B.K.

kmacinct

There will never be a 'standard' system that I see in my involvement...

However....
The effort to coordinate Tolland, Windham and New London County departments is in progress. There will not be a enough station numbers (1-99) to accommodate everyone.

Yes, there will be some duplicate station numbers, and some that will conflict with Middlesex and maybe Hartford County.

The 'work around' will be the Old Lyme example
Old Lyme call signs are Apparatus Type, Station Number, then Unit Number
"Eastern CT" is Apparatus Type, Unit Number and Station Number.
There will probably only be a few agencys that use the Old Lyme system.

Also, the group is trying to assure that department numbers do not duplicate an agency that is close, or who would respond mutual aid on a regular basis.

If the 'BIG ONE' happens, and units are coming from all over, they should be using plain english call signs anyway (Old Lyme Engine 1).

sefrischling

Confusion exists already as Old Lyme is using the station numbers 37,38 & 39 dispatched by VS. In Tolland County, Warehouse Point uses 38 and Broad Brook uses 39 dispatched by TN.

B.K.

But does anyone even listen to Tolland County? :0)

I have never understood Lyme/Old Lyme. They are on Valley Shore, which is all 46mhz, but they are in New London and use 33mhz like everyone in this county. As well ... why the hell are they Troop F and not Troop E? Was the river not a perfectly situated natural boundary, if not the county line? They are in New London, a hop skip and a jump for Flanders and Niantic, but they rely on Middlesex more than New London for support.

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
Eastern CT Fire Stations

This is a file I developed many years ago and have been trying to keep up to date. Would appreciate any updates and/or comments.

B.K.

Attachments

• Econn Stations.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 108

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
Old lyme and Lyme are "Valley Shore Towns" the Valley shore starts at about Madison and goes to old lyme.

sefrischling

Goes back to ... why the heck are Lyme/Old Lyme not tied in with everyone else on the New London Shoreline, including CSP Troop E. They are a lone Middlesex town (yea, I know, towns, plural) in New London.

cg

Premium Subscriber
No statewide group with any power to create and force a single set of workable radio callsigns.

I heard a call last week where there were several "Engine 1" units responding. Caused some confusion when Command said to cancel Engine 1.

Not very hard to create a system, the hard part is getting everyone to agree to it AND use it.

chris

kmacinct

No statewide group with any power to create and force a single set of workable radio callsigns.

I heard a call last week where there were several "Engine 1" units responding. Caused some confusion when Command said to cancel Engine 1.

Not very hard to create a system, the hard part is getting everyone to agree to it AND use it.

chris

That's why when I teach, I ENFORCE the "YOUR DEPARTMENT NAME" then apparatus number when responding out of your primary area... It does create serious confusion....

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I work at MPFD. We switched to "Station 59" the end of last year. Supposedly, the other department's around us were going to switch also, not the case so far. It took us a while to get used too. So here is the run down with what is what.

F-1 = Car 59 (Chief)
F-10 = Car 159 (Deputy Chief)
F-11 = Engine Tank 159 (because it has 1000 gallons of water in its tank)
F-12 = Engine 159 (our rescue pumper)
F-13 = Service 159 (pickup truck, currently OOS for repairs)
F-14 = Service 259 (Utility body pickup used by the on duty FPSS firefighter)
F-15 = Tower 159
F-16 = Service 359 (used by the training officer and back up service unit)
F-17 = Hazmat 159
F-27 = Squad 159 (Prime Mover)
F-92 = Decon 159 (decon trailer)

The shift captains had their numbers changed too. On the low band and also our trunked system they are known as;
Group 1 Captain = Car 359 (old F19-1)
Group 2 Captain = Car 459 (old F-19-2)
Group 3 Captain = Car 559 (old F-19-3)
Group 4 Captain = Car 659 (old F-19-4)

The firefighters and training officers still go by their assigned "FD" shift number.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Kevin. You hear anything more on your end with the changeovers?

iggywfd

Ok a request...looking at the Econn file, I see a lot of abbreviations that are confusing. I travel through Eastern Conn to Middletown CT once a week from RI, and monitor my scanners. I have spent time programming from RR & SNE and thought I had the most updated files but have heard dispatches for a fire call that becomes and active scene with M/A but can never hear the TX from on scene, even when sitting watching the fire. Is it possible for you to update the ECONN file that includes the current frequencies? cause I know I have to make some programming updates...thanks...

cg

Premium Subscriber
There are very few different abbreviations on that list, can you be more specific? The dispatch centers should be fairly common knowledge, Tolland, Willimantic, Valley Shore, Quinebaug Valley. The frequencies for those regional centers are in the database.

chris

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Some of the departments either have there own FG / TAC frequencies or use a regional frequency.

For FG's / TAC's I don't program in PLs or DPLs. I have them
Locked out of scanning and turn to them when I want to listen to the.

Status
Not open for further replies.