radio advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
but I want a radio that in emergency I could talk not that I would otherwise and a scanner cant so no thats not what I want

I would also never get a license I am a free person

Last edited by a moderator:

SCPD

QRT
You may want to look in database regarding some Canada agencies. I think a few are transitioning to newer systems or are encrypted. With a scanner you could scan numerous systems if you were to invest in say a ws1080. Now the China hunk junk low costs are mostly entry level ham gear. You'd need a license and you are not allowed to transmit unless you have a license or the canadian equivalent. Those are limited to analog only and in the 140 to 160 mhz range around therr hut not exact. They also do 400 mhz somewhere in there. They are basic entry level radios. Not sure if they are Canadian type accepted with your version of the fcc. Eventually maybe Mike the mod may chime in since he's a Canadian I think. But to monitor different agencies and systems your best bet is a scanner like the ws1080 or equivalent. If you choose to get a license and test for exam the baofeng or whatever name they go by this week will be a ok entry beginer level radio but like mentioned your limited.

Analog only
136ish to 174ish / 450 around there to 480 is
No trunking
basic
ham license required
easy entry level budget transceiver
No transmitting on public safety or any frequency you want

I'd research first before buying those as many older models with older firmware are around. You'd probably find a legit seller selling the newer model with latest firmware for them budget entry radios. But like said they are license required.

As for getting one and just transmitting without a license I'll let the others fill you in on what would happen lol.

Oh and if anything is encrypted you ain't going to hear anything regardless what radio you have unless you become a cop or fire man.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Since the OP is not interested in amateur radio or in getting an amateur radio license, I'm closing this thread.

If the OP has questions about commercial radios, he should post them in those forums...such as this one: http://forums.radioreference.com/industry-discussion/

BTW, the OP is in Canada, so Industry Canada rules apply to his situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.