Elizabeth NJ 700mhz system

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2DRM

Premium Subscriber
I am hearing conflicting reports. Is the new 700mhz system in Elizabeth (Police & Fire) encrypted? I have heard yes it is, and no it is just TDMA. I want to know whether of not to buy a new scanner that can handle the P-25 pahse 2. If it is encrypted any scanner is just a paperweight.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
No it's just in Phase 2 TDMA. Depending on where your at you can either hear them or not. I also believe it depends on what Phase 2 scanner your trying to decide TDMA with. I have the Pro 668 and it works well.... Okay to say the least for me. It's sometimes garbled and then sometimes it's crystal clear ( Elizabeth were talking about as well as others).

ansky

I have a HomePatrol 2 and I can usually pick up Elizabeth very well where I live in West Orange.

Keep in mind Elizabeth does not have their own 700MHz system, they are part of the NJICS system (which is 700MHz).

WQPW689

I get Elizabeth PD on both my WS 1080 and Uniden 436 from lower Hudson County. Definitely not encrypted. Reception is clear on both I'd say about 80% of the time with some garble the rest. Sometimes fooling around switching antennas improves things, but it seems it's just one of those things.

Dunno about Fire reception, haven't programmed them in.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Just a FYI, the Elizabeth talkgroups are full time over both West Orange and Union County simulcasts. Might want to program the systems separately if you are getting garble to see what site works better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KD2DRM

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone. I also spoke to a friend who is involved in communications and he too confirmed they are just TDMA phase 2. Did not want to submit a purchase order and then find out what I got would not work. A lot of the fire and EMS units are saying there are some bad and dead spots. That may be why some of you have difficulty receiving. One of those areas is in and around the mall. Not a good spot to have sub-standard communications. Port coverage seems to be okay.

There are about 10 talkgroups. One is encrypted and that is for the detectives. My interest is in Fire / EMS only.

So new querry, What model of the phase 2 scanners seems to be the best. Looking to stay under $600

Are you using supplied antennas or external antennas?

ansky

So new querry, What model of the phase 2 scanners seems to be the best. Looking to stay under $600

Are you using supplied antennas or external antennas?

I recently bought a Home Patrol 2 and I absolutely love it. The best scanner I have owned in the past 30 years. You can get one on Amazon right now for just over $400. The stock antenna it comes with is not great, so I replaced it with a telescoping antenna.

Analogrules

I live in Union County, next town over from Elizabeth, and must warn you that Elizabeth sounds terrible most of the time on my BCD436 via Union County NJICS site. Many times I find myself just avoiding them because their transmissions constantly cut out. However, The scanner receives Phase 1 perfectly, but only works well on Phase 2 every now and then. I would be happy to record some of it on you tube to prove how terrible they sound. I have heard they sound better on the Essex Site for those who live in Essex County.

Analogrules

And yes, every now and then I do hear encrypted transmissions from Elizabeth (most likely detectives) and like many PD's, they may have plans for total encryption in the future. From what I hear, all they have to do is flip a switch on their radios to move to encryption.

ansky

I live in Union County, next town over from Elizabeth, and must warn you that Elizabeth sounds terrible most of the time on my BCD436 via Union County NJICS site. Many times I find myself just avoiding them because their transmissions constantly cut out. However, The scanner receives Phase 1 perfectly, but only works well on Phase 2 every now and then. I would be happy to record some of it on you tube to prove how terrible they sound. I have heard they sound better on the Essex Site for those who live in Essex County.

You can't pick up the West Orange site from Union County? That is surprising. I'm in West Orange and I get great reception from both the West Orange site and Union County site.

Analogrules

Yes, I can pick up the West Orange site. However, since it is digital and the fact I'm located in an apartment building, everything seems to come in broken up from my location. However, I can pick up the the analog state 800 system without a problem even while standing in a closet.

ansky

Yes, I can pick up the West Orange site. However, since it is digital and the fact I'm located in an apartment building, everything seems to come in broken up from my location. However, I can pick up the the analog state 800 system without a problem even while standing in a closet.

Just out of curiosity, are you able to pick up the West Orange town TRS (EDACS analog)?

Analogrules

Not at all. Even the Union Twp EDACS system comes in a little scratchy at times. However, I can pick up Newark PD, NYPD, and even the Jersey City digital frequencies loud and clear. So go figure. I would eventually like to find a much better rubber duck antenna for this scanner that would not only help pick up 700 MHz NJICS better, but also boost receiving on 450-500 MHz too. If such an antenna exists, it would probably solve most of my problems with this scanner.

ansky

Not at all. Even the Union Twp EDACS system comes in a little scratchy at times. However, I can pick up Newark PD, NYPD, and even the Jersey City digital frequencies loud and clear. So go figure. I would eventually like to find a much better rubber duck antenna for this scanner that would not only help pick up 700 MHz NJICS better, but also boost receiving on 450-500 MHz too. If such an antenna exists, it would probably solve most of my problems with this scanner.

I would recommend getting a telescoping antenna that you can adjust to different lengths. I got one at Radio Shack for about 10 bucks. In general I have not had good luck with rubber duck antennas. When I bought my Home Patrol 2 a few weeks ago the first thing I did was switch to a telescoping antenna and my reception improved dramatically.

Analogrules

Does the telescoping antenna attach at the same place as the rubber duck directly on the scanner or is this an external antenna? Can you let me know the exact model number and name of this antenna? I only ask because all the radio shacks around me have turned into Sprint stores and it would probably be easier to find this antenna online or ebay.

ansky

Does the telescoping antenna attach at the same place as the rubber duck directly on the scanner or is this an external antenna? Can you let me know the exact model number and name of this antenna? I only ask because all the radio shacks around me have turned into Sprint stores and it would probably be easier to find this antenna online or ebay.

You want to make sure the antenna has a BNC connector so it will clip right onto the scanner after you remove the rubber duck antenna. Something like this would work:

Collapsable 6 29" Telescopic Antenna BNC Connector FM Radio Scanner VHF UHF | eBay

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
The 436 has an SMA connector on it but does come with an SMA to BNC adapter so either an SMA 700/800 or BNC 700/800 antenna will work. I have an external antenna hooked up that I place closer to the window while I have the radio by my recliner. I only use the rubber duck if I go outside since they are not as reliable indoors with all the attenuation you can get inside certain buildings.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Getting EPD/EFD on Union County Simulcast NJICS loud and clear in Essex County on a Handheld BCD325P2.

Analogrules

Yesterday they sounded a little better for me too. Other days, they sound horrible.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Remember your listening to them on a scanner, not a actually P-25 radio. The deciding/audio is so much better on the radio ( overall not always).

Status
Not open for further replies.