• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Antenna Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve0827

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get a CB antenna and looking to see what is suggested. I know absolutely nothing CB antennas, so please bear with me. Also, are there any antennas that work with an NMO mount? If so, those would be my top choices as I already have a spare NMO mount I would like to use.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

auy23

Generally speaking you would need to run an adapter to use a CB antenna on a NMO mount. I wouldn't do it. The more things you have inline (adapters, elbow connectors, etc) the greater the chances of issues.

What type of radio will you be using this on? Generally speaking Wilson 1000, Wilson 5000, and or Sirio 5000 Performers are good antennas. The Sirio is more broad banded. Here is an article comparing the Wilson 5000 to the Sirio 5000.

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Sirio Performer 5000 PL.html

Since you said that you don't know much about antennas, I will assume you also don't know how to properly tune one for optimal performance?

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Generally speaking you would need to run an adapter to use a CB antenna on a NMO mount. I wouldn't do it. The more things you have inline (adapters, elbow connectors, etc) the greater the chances of issues.

What type of radio will you be using this on? Generally speaking Wilson 1000, Wilson 5000, and or Sirio 5000 Performers are good antennas. The Sirio is more broad banded. Here is an article comparing the Wilson 5000 to the Sirio 5000.

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Sirio Performer 5000 PL.html

Since you said that you don't know much about antennas, I will assume you also don't know how to properly tune one for optimal performance?
What adaptors are you referring too?

auy23

I was referring to standard CB SO239 to NMO adapter
540d3e5e1aed3d0f4b045ac4beaf23bd.jpg

mrweather

Larsen (or whatever they're called now) NMO27. I've had one for years and it works well. And no need for adapters.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Ive used the maxrad whips but since switched to the larsen whips. I use them on service trucks with L brackets up on hood and in roof. Much cleaner appearance than big k40 antennas IMHO.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd agree with the two above.

Larsen NMO-27 was my CB antenna of choice back many years ago.

I wouldn't do any permanent installs on a vehicle that wasn't an NMO. They are specifically designed to be a mobile antenna mount, unlike the SO-239/UHF connector mounts. A properly installed NMO mount will outlast your vehicle. It also opens up the options if you ever decide to do something else, just unscrew the CB antenna and install an antenna that fits your needs. Much more versatile.

I'd agree with N3OBL, they look better.

Used them for many years, installed probably 10 or 15 of them over the years. Never had an issue, even with tree branch/garage strikes. The whips are flexible and will easily bend over if they contact something. You can even order springs to install between the NMO coil base and the whip.

freebird63

102" stainless steel whip. Nothing better, but they are tall and can be a pain. That's all I ever use. On the ham bands I can talk from 10 meters down to 12 meters. Throw in 11 meters and your good go

Zamson25

Premium Subscriber
102" stainless steel whip. Nothing better, but they are tall and can be a pain. That's all I ever use. On the ham bands I can talk from 10 meters down to 12 meters. Throw in 11 meters and your good go

I agree, 102" is the best, don't forget to use a spring.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, 102" are great if you have the clearance. Hard to beat a full length 1/4 wave antenna.
However, if you want an NMO mount, you likely wouldn't want to go with an antenna that long. The NMO mounts are really strong, but a 102" whip flopping around will probably push it past it's limits. Base loaded antennas are a good compromise, but it is hard to beat the real thing.

steve0827

Premium Subscriber
Alright, so just to recap. What would you guys suggest for a CB radio and what NMO mount-able antenna should I purchase?

N8IAA

Alright, so just to recap. What would you guys suggest for a CB radio and what NMO mount-able antenna should I purchase?

Posts 9 and 10 give the best answer. Used one for CB, then cut it for 10m ham use.
CB's. Now you have opened up another can of worms:lol:
I have two RS mobiles in a cabinet somewhere that do AM and SSB, they're a couple of decades old, but work.
Uniden has mobile radios, as well as, Cobra. Look through the forum here to see what is said about them.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.