Intermittent P25 and simulcast on 396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossfire291

Ok so, I'm in Windsor right now, and can't listen to fire on my uniden 396xt because the audio cuts in and out mid transmission. I'm not losing signal because it's strong and the scanner stays on the channel that is transmitting. Anyone know why other 396 users don't have this issue on p25 systems? Also this happens in London and Detroit as well. Can't hear **** due to it. Also my programming is straight from radio reference.

Sent from my HTC Desire 320 using Tapatalk

mciupa

Go into settings and find Set Hold Time By default, it is two seconds. I had problems with the Metrolinx simulcast at two seconds. I increased that to ten seconds and the problem went away.

You can do that via keypad or look into your software for the option.

crossfire291

Go into settings and find Set Hold Time By default, it is two seconds. I had problems with the Metrolinx simulcast at two seconds. I increased that to ten seconds and the problem went away.

You can do that via keypad or look into your software for the option.
Thank you. It seems to have helped a little bit, but still having the same issue on a lesser scale now.

Sent from my HTC Desire 320 using Tapatalk

Voyager

Also make sure Weather Priority and Channel Priority are disabled, and Close Call is in DND mode.

Make sure you're using the latest firmware.

Last, just because the signal is there doesn't mean there isn't simulcast interference. Try an antenna with more or less gain to see if that helps.

mrweather

It's a known issue with scanners although they have been getting better. In a simulcast system scanners have a hard time dealing with interference from the multiple transmitters. It's especially bad when decoding P25.

Some suggestions I've heard include turning the attenuator on or using a directional antenna and pointing it at one of the simulcast sites.

I'm having similar issues listening to Mississauga Fire since they transitioned to digital for this reason. I knew I had simulcast problems before but since they were analog I could understand the audio. Now with digital the signal is either there or it isn't.

Voyager

Pointing it AT a site is not the best solution. The best solution is to make sure the antenna nulls all but one site. That is most often not in the direction of one site.

mrweather

There are commercially available high gain, narrow beamwidth 800 MHz yagis a reasonable size. That would certainly help null other sites.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Not sure why you are having issues... London isn't simulcast and I'm reasonably sure Windsor isn't either (across the river definitely is though). The only time I get choppy RX in London is typically around the core and the ATT usually fixes it.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm pretty sure Windsor is simulcast.

The database lists the only site as simulcast and the city is large enough that I don't think one site would cover it entirely.

I found it hard to monitor in the downtown area using various Uniden scanners.

crossfire291

I know London is no simulcast, but Windsor definitely is. If it's a scanner thing, I won't worry about it. I am just woundering now, if there's anything else I might be able to do in Windsor and Detroit that would help. I will be looking into radios now, but that won't help for July 4th in the 'D'

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
The MPSCS system has always been tough on scanners. The 436/536 models do a better job... But to listen without driving yourself crazy you need a 'real' radio.

crossfire291

The MPSCS system has always been tough on scanners. The 436/536 models do a better job... But to listen without driving yourself crazy you need a 'real' radio.
I've just come to that determination, but I've been trying to save for a 436 so I'm in a bit of a dilemma [emoji12]

Mykholb123

Premium Subscriber
I have a uniden 396xt digital trunking scanner. I am having a hard time programming. I can pick up about twenty different frequency iny area. Can someone help me. I want to hear everything and I mean anything close anything coded. Whatever !! I just want to stop playing with this complex scanner. I have money for whatever but refuse to send my scanner or let it outta my site. Any suggestions. I am up for whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrweather

@Mykholb123 you might want to try the Arizona sub-forum on Radioreference for your query.

Status
Not open for further replies.