• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Laptop Freeze When Programming CDM1250

Status
Not open for further replies.

JChabalie

I have a laptop that I have been using for years (at least 6 or 7) to program the professional series radios. It is an HP and I run Windows XP. I am currently using R 06.12.08 CPS. I have programmed dozens of mobiles and portables in the past with zero issues. Currently, I can program HT's all day with no problem at all, but when I go to write to a CDM, the laptop freezes and bricks the mobile. I then go to use the recovery feature, but again the laptop freezes. I can read CDM's fine, but apparently writing to them now is an issue. I did 3 of our CDM's and they programmed ok, but then this problem surfaced. Any ideas on why the laptop may be doing this now? (Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum)

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
I use a laptop with XP also and yet to have issues. Now you've got me nervous. All kidding aside though, and this is just a guess. Could the software have gotten corrupted somehow? Maybe remove it and re install it on the laptop and or try another laptop too. I'm using R 06.12.02 for a couple of years now and just for ham stuff with no issues as you have described.

JChabalie

I use a laptop with XP also and yet to have issues. Now you've got me nervous. All kidding aside though, and this is just a guess. Could the software have gotten corrupted somehow? Maybe remove it and re install it on the laptop and or try another laptop too. I'm using R 06.12.02 for a couple of years now and just for ham stuff with no issues as you have described.

I had tried un-installing it then re-installing, but still functioning the same. I kinda don't think it is a software issue since I am able to do HT's with no problem, it's just the CDM's that keep causing it to hang up. I even bought a new cable thinking that could be the issue, but that didn't help at all. I'm stumped to say the least. Went from working without a problem, to having issues.

JChabalie

I would bet that your problem is the wrong version of the software. You should be using 6.12.09.

What do you mean by wrong version? It worked fine previously. I was even able to do 3 CDM's the same day before it started to freeze.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Copy that. I'm just curious since it went from working to not working, is there a known issue with R06.12.08 that causes this to happen?
Not to my knowledge. This is the first I have heard of the condition that you are reporting.

I've had R06.12.08 running since it came out with no problems at all. Admittedly, it's on a Win 7 laptop, but I also have it on an XP desktop, again, with no issues.

I've got R06.12.09 here, but have never gotten around to installing it. (Color me lazy.)

Best I know, the only difference between .08 and .09 has to do with the WB/NB EID. Here's the description from the release notes for .09: Supports application feature registration for 20/25 kHz Channel Bandwidth capability by the common EID which is also shared with other CPS platforms.

JChabalie

Not to my knowledge. This is the first I have heard of the condition that you are reporting.

I've had R06.12.08 running since it came out with no problems at all. Admittedly, it's on a Win 7 laptop, but I also have it on an XP desktop, again, with no issues.

I've got R06.12.09 here, but have never gotten around to installing it. (Color me lazy.)

Best I know, the only difference between .08 and .09 has to do with the WB/NB EID. Here's the description from the release notes for .09: Supports application feature registration for 20/25 kHz Channel Bandwidth capability by the common EID which is also shared with other CPS platforms.

I've been running it for a while myself with no issues too, that's why I was thinking it might be an issue with the laptop itself (it is getting a little old). Thanks everyone for the input thus far.

SCPD

QRT
I've scrolled thru the thread a couple times and didn't see what I was wondering:
I believe you are saying that 3 worked fine, but the fourth one didn't.
So has the computer froze up on more than 1 CDM?

In my opinion, it's not a software issue, since you can do the HT's, and you can read the CDM's
Your problem, if I read right, is writing to a CDM. No need to go thru upgrading, imo.

SCPD

QRT
If it freezes on one radio, maybe the codeplug is corrupt. Who the hell knows, it could be Windows had something go wrong when you opened the CPS, or the CPS went corrupt. Me thinks it's something in the radio causing the CPS to lockup. It's frustrating at times, that's why I keep my blood pressure in check by not programming Motorola radios unless changes are necessary. :)

I pretty much always update my CPS through MOL as the new release usually fix a bug in the previous release. So that's why I suggested it. Some just use a few previous versions back and have no issues and don't upgrade. I had to call Moto for a CPS issue and their first question have you installed the latest version?. Turns out the problem still happened with the latest and greatest version. Just about wanted to put my hand through the phone and ring the guys neck.

Last edited:

FF1033

@jwilson2013 It could very well be the radio. I was in the process of redoing all of our mobiles and I got through 3 of them with no issue, then got to the one that caused it to freeze. I was afraid to continue because I didn't want to brick any others lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.