BCD996P2 - Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng86ine

just unboxed my BCD996P2 this afternoon. Does this scanner have the ability to be programmed using the radio reference database ? I have paid for software looked over the instruction manual and somehow cannot find how to extract the information I want from the database to the scanner. Is there a way to take the information from radio reference database and program into the scanner without being a first class engineer

Voyager

Not directly. Some SW (most?) can import parts of the database and you can program the scanner with that.

Eng86ine

BCD996P2 - Dear God Help -

Ok...Ready to give up and toss this $400 paperweight back in the box......I could use a coaching for dummies version on how to program this thing. Not like the GREs or the WS Models where I can simply extract what I want from the RR Data Base and transfer to the scanner....No with this it appears I need a communications master degree just to understand the terms

Basically how do you program this thing ?

I'm mostly P25 Phase II with a few Conventional Frequencies to enter. Somehow The Scanner is stuck searching Public Safety Frequencies and when I follow prompts to program it leaves me hanging (Which I may just do to my-self) ......Is there anyone or any publication known to man that explains (In English) how to program this device ?

Thanking anyone in advance

N8IAA

Think FreeScan. There is a beta version for that particular scanner. Import from RR, and download to the scanner. But, don't forget that there aren't scan lists. There are Quick Keys.
Larry

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
While this is a fairly new model scanner, it is programmed the same way as a 396XT or 996XT.

There are several Youtube videos on programming the 96 scanners that may be of guidance to you.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Eng86ine,
Many years ago, I felt the same way about my 996XT, I was ready to scream and throw the scanner into the trash. But over time, you can learn to program these scanners. The references others have listed are great resources.
I use Butel ARC-XT PRO for these scanners. I bought a 996P2 a few months ago, and was able to transfer a dozens of coventional and trunking systems from my 996XT to 996P2 in a matter of a few minutes. Believe me, it is not due to any inherent intelligence. I was "where you are at" many years ago.
I actually find extracting from RRDB to beeasier with the Uniden scanners than with the GRE/Whistlers. Actually, not that hard, as you know, with the GRE/Whistler either. Give it time, I find the 996P2 to be an excellent scanner, especially with regard to P25 decoding.

Voyager

Not like the GREs or the WS Models where I can simply extract what I want from the RR Data Base and transfer to the scanner....

Why not? Most P2 SW supports extraction from RR and any will write to the scanner. Doing this, I can't think of any Uniden-specific terms involved.

marksmith

If you download Freescan (for free) and get a premium membership to RR you can use RR for programming this radio just like the 396xt or 996xt. The latest version of Freescan supports the P2. I have been using the 2.18 beta for the last few months to load mine.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

Eng86ine

Thank-You everyone for the pointers. Slowly I'm beginning to navigate a little better - I've managed to to install the correct driver in my computer, place a data base on the software, but....Upload to scanner seems to be an issue - I do it but it doesn't load. I may have forgotten to set the tower sites - But through baby steps its possibly starting to move along. This one by far isn't like the GREPSR 800 - I simply pulled what I wanted, loaded and went - This one is little more complex unless i'm missing a step.....But again thanks everyone - Pointers are still welcome if anyone thinks of anything

SCPD

QRT
996P2

You need anything programmed lemme know,send me a PM
I use ARC XT ,by butel and its Easy as Pie.
Same as GRE EZscan sort of.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Check in to your state forum. There may be someone in your city.county that can share their file with you. All you would have to do is load it into the scanner. Also you can see how they have it set up and change anything you wanted to your liking.

Make sure the baud rate is the same setting for your scanner and the software. This can cause downloading issues.

ff2sherman

Premium Subscriber
My loving Wife got me the 996P2 for fathers day, I downloaded Freescan and loaded the systems from RR
LOVE the scanner so far
BCD996XT
BCD996P2
RS Pro2066 times 2
BC245XLT

Eng86ine

Mine was a fathers day gift as well.......Small World - I finally have the ol' 996P2 Up and Running - (Well my wife and 15 y/o son got it while I was asleep after nightwork) anyway Question I have if anyone would know ....Fire Tone Out - My departmental Tones are broadcast over a Conventional System which is programmed into the scanner and receiving well except I don't hear tones when a dispatch goes out only the message......Is there a setting I (or She) may have missed allowing tones to be herd and allowing me to enter the Tones I need so the scanner alerts on my company tones ?

N8IAA

Mine was a fathers day gift as well.......Small World - I finally have the ol' 996P2 Up and Running - (Well my wife and 15 y/o son got it while I was asleep after nightwork) anyway Question I have if anyone would know ....Fire Tone Out - My departmental Tones are broadcast over a Conventional System which is programmed into the scanner and receiving well except I don't hear tones when a dispatch goes out only the message......Is there a setting I (or She) may have missed allowing tones to be herd and allowing me to enter the Tones I need so the scanner alerts on my company tones ?

Just remember, fire tone out will only work when parked on that particular frequency. It won't work if you have a trunk system running.
Larry

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
What happens when you hold on the dispatch frequency (as in not scanning other channels)?

Every so often, some radio systems are set up such that PL tones are not transmitted during the "tone out" phase. Only when the voice part of the dispatch occurs is when the PL tone is transmitted.

(Just guessing here, but it is possible that the PL tone mixes up with the dispatch tones and not every pager opens up properly.)

You could possibly try setting the dispatch frequency to CSQ, eliminating any PL tone from the equation.

Eng86ine

This all could explain why our county is eventually going to simulcast dispatches over the P25 System - I'm understanding that 700mHz can not decode PL Tones - Currently if you're on the road and not carrying a pager or your Cell Phone you have no idea of any alerts exist...Thanks again everyone I'm learning more each time I throw a post up

Voyager

Just remember, fire tone out will only work when parked on that particular frequency. It won't work if you have a trunk system running.
Larry

It won't work when holding on a channel either. It will only work when specifically in FTO mode - period.

Voyager

What happens when you hold on the dispatch frequency (as in not scanning other channels)?

Every so often, some radio systems are set up such that PL tones are not transmitted during the "tone out" phase. Only when the voice part of the dispatch occurs is when the PL tone is transmitted.

(Just guessing here, but it is possible that the PL tone mixes up with the dispatch tones and not every pager opens up properly.)

You could possibly try setting the dispatch frequency to CSQ, eliminating any PL tone from the equation.

There is not even an option to program a CTCSS/CDCSS in the FTO mode, so whether they are transmitted or not is a moot point.

That said, proper engineering practice is to strip the CTCSS/CDCSS when transmitting paging tones, as they can cause issues such as falsing of other tones when the two tone frequencies mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.