• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood Roger Beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

baminian

I just got my Kenwood TK-8150 in the mail today, first kenwood I've owned, and in the KPG-79D software I also purchased, I am trying to setup the MDC1200 roger beep (similar to the ones heard on police radios).

Can someone guide me on doing this as I have no clue how to do it?
Thanks.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread moved to Kenwood forum as this radio is a commercial product, not an amateur product.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
MDC1200 is a data burst, not a 'roger beep'. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

baminian

Yea I don't care for the function, I just need a Roger beep that sounds like that. Is that possible with the radio I have or do I have to stick with the DTMF tone?

The only problem is I have no clue how to set that up in the KPG-79D software which is why I'm asking here.

I want that same sound as the PTT release tone, and I don't care what it does, the sound is all that matters. Can someone guide me?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You could use the Fleetsync signaling. It's similar but not the same as MDC1200.

I've programmed a lot of Kenwoods, but never that model, so I really can't help you with the specifics for that software. The help button is usually pretty good on the KPG software, though.

baminian

I'll have to do an installation on windows xp as the help button doesn't work with stupid windows 8.

Thank you so much for your help it's really appreciated.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
As for win8 help, hold function and F-1. The NX series has a ptt release function but like McKinney said not sure about that.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

bharvey2

I'll have to do an installation on windows xp as the help button doesn't work with stupid windows 8.

Thank you so much for your help it's really appreciated.

Bamian - I can't offer any advice on the EOT tone you're looking for but I have a suggestion on using the help file in Windows 8. I just installed the software for the Kenwood TK880 and had the same problem with the help file. However, on closer inspection I realized that the "error" message I was receiving on the screen was actually a link to install a patch to allow older help files to be read by the OS. Granted, the programming software was different but it's quite likely that you may be getting a similar message. As soon as I downloaded and installed the patch, my help files were visible. Hope this works for you. BTW, How do you like the 8180? I was thinking of using those for GMRS purposes.

rapidcharger

http://www.w2sjw.com/sounds/MDC1200 Echo.mp3
I want to hear that sound upon releasing the PTT button.

I apologize if I sound like an idiot I'm new to radio equipment and I'm using this for GMRS.

I hear two completely different things in there. One is MDC1200 and immediately after that sounds like a roger beep / EOT / or courtesy tone either on the transmitting radio or the received radio.
The kenwoods that I am familiar with have a separate courtesy tone that doesn't matter if you're using any signalling or not. You can have it make a beep when a received transmission ends (heard only on your radio) or when you unkey, it makes a beep that goes out over the air.

If you want that data burst sound, you'll need to enable signalling which, if MDC is not available, then FleetSync is similar but not quite as annoying to listen to as it's more brief and not as screechy. There's also fleetsync II which sounds more like MDC1200 but is not compatible with. Not sure if your radio does that or not.

One of the great reasons to use GMRS instead of FRS and use a for-real-radio, is so you're not forced to have a silly roger beep. If you're not using the signalling for any purpose other than to mark the end of a transmission or just to sound cool, that isn't always well received. Then again, this is coming from a guy who set up his radios to practically sing "La Cucaracha" upon key up, so I'm being a tad bit hypocritical.

sfd119

Go to Channel Edit and make sure its set to EOT on each channel(s) you want it to be enabled on. I don't think you can enable it globally, but I could be mistaken.

baminian

Go to Channel Edit and make sure its set to EOT on each channel(s) you want it to be enabled on. I don't think you can enable it globally, but I could be mistaken.

I finally got it, thanks to you! I thought that selecting "FleetSync" for Opt Signal would be enough, silly me didn't even know about the Channel Edit button.

Thank you!!!

Are you referring to the sidetone emitted from the radio when the MDC signalling is being sent?

Or, are you referring to an end of transmission clear to talk tone heard when listening to a transmission?

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.