HP-2 Firmware Bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemoor

Feed Provider
I use my HP-2 exclusively in my vehicle so I depend on the GPS feature to turn on/off favorites. The other day I accidently added some channels to my NJ State Police Favorites list. I then went in and deleted those channels. I soon noticed that I was no longer receiving anything from that favorites list.

HP-2 Firmware 1.05 NO EXTREME OPTION

What I found was that the HP-2 had rewritten the favorites file with some significant changes.

-- Before Add/Delete ---

Site North Simulcast (Troop B) Off 40.855371 -74.547729 40.0 FM Custom Wide Circle Off

-- After Add/Delete ---

Site North Simulcast (Troop B) Off 40.855370 74.547727 400.0 AUTO Standard Wide Circle Off

It changed the Longitude from the Western Hemisphere to the Eastern by removing the negative sign, it also changed the range from 40.0 to 400.0. It did this to all systems in the file both trunked and conventional. It would seem as there's a bug in the rewriting of favorites lists after they are modified.

Before and after hpd are attached ...0001 is before and ...0012 is after

Attachments

• favorites_000001.txt
    55.6 KB · Views: 168
  • favorites_000012.txt
    53.7 KB · Views: 176

Voyager

You said you don't have the extreme option, so what SW were you using to modify the FLs?

Also, you should post HPE files so others can import the data, not HPD files.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Would you point to the RR data? Is it correct/incorrect in there?

Also - hpd would be importable into Sentinel.

edit

Here and correct
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=15967

I just created a quick Fav. List and it's correct. If I were you I'd try it again. This was using current HP1/2 sentinel FWIW.

I use my HP-2 exclusively in my vehicle so I depend on the GPS feature to turn on/off favorites. The other day I accidently added some channels to my NJ State Police Favorites list. I then went in and deleted those channels. I soon noticed that I was no longer receiving anything from that favorites list.

What I found was that the HP-2 had rewritten the favorites file with some significant changes.

-- Before Add/Delete ---

Site North Simulcast (Troop B) Off 40.855371 -74.547729 40.0 FM Custom Wide Circle Off

-- After Add/Delete ---

Site North Simulcast (Troop B) Off 40.855370 74.547727 400.0 AUTO Standard Wide Circle Off

It changed the Longitude from the Western Hemisphere to the Eastern by removing the negative sign, it also changed the range from 40.0 to 400.0. It did this to all systems in the file both trunked and conventional. It would seem as there's a bug in the rewriting of favorites lists after they are modified.

Last edited:

joemoor

Feed Provider
Reproducible HP-2 Bug

My first message prompted more questions than answers. Mostly my fault. So let me clarify and make it easy for anyone here or at Uniden to reproduce the bug. The HP-2 is corrupting location enabled Favorites Lists when deleting channels from them.

A. RR Database is CORRECT and has always been
B. The Sentinel DB is also CORRECT and has always been
C. I have a factory default HP-2 Main FW 1.05 Sub 1.02 (See Info.jpg)
D. You can add/delete channels to a favorites list. Delete a fav list, rename it without the EXTREME option (See Fav Function.jpg)

Here are the steps I used to reproduce the bug. I have a favorites list GPS-NJ it is a location enabled favorites list and contains NJ State Police, NJICS and NJ Common/Shared Frequencies. It works for Location Based Scanning (LBS) perfectly with the values in there from RR. The other day I mistakenly added a channel I was investigating to it, so I went back and deleted it, that's when I found the bug.

Step 1. Site details for the active simulcast site that is being monitored, the Lat/Long and Distance are all correct (See step 1.jpg)
Step 2. I added 1 WX channel using the Review/Edit Channels function (See Step 2a.jpg, Step 2b.jpg)

Continued in next post

Attachments

• Info.jpg
    Info.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 313
  • Fav Functions.jpg
    Fav Functions.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 258
  • Step 1.jpg
    Step 1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 321
  • Step 2a.jpg
    Step 2a.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Step 2b.jpg
    Step 2b.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 315

joemoor

Feed Provider
HP-2 Bug Contd.

Sorry 5 image max per message....

Step 3. I deleted the 1 WX channel from the GPS-NJ favorite list (See Step 3a.jpg, Step 3b.jpg, Step 3c.jpg). Immediately after the whole favorites list was no longer in range.

Step 4. Review the site information now in the GPS-NJ favorite list (See Corrupted Site Info.jpg) Notice that the longitude went from west to east and the miles went from 40.0 to 400.0

My intention of this post is two-fold. First to inform the community of the bug and second to provide Uniden's sw engineers or QA engineers the necessary steps to reproduce the bug and get a fix ready for the next FW release. I'm thinking this is the best forum to get info to them as I know the product manager monitors and contributes to RR. I think it's kinda a major bug as it completely obliterates a Location based Favorites list from being used as designed with a GPS. I would not mind if Uniden contacts me directly and hey they can throw a bone my way for the help (EXTREME upgrade :) )

Joe / N2TQL

Attachments

• Step 3a.jpg
    Step 3a.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 336
  • Step 3b.jpg
    Step 3b.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 306
  • Step 3c.jpg
    Step 3c.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 329
  • Corrupted Site Info.jpg
    Corrupted Site Info.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 333

joemoor

Feed Provider

-- Before Add/Delete ---

-- After Add/Delete ---

The files I uploaded ARE .HPE files not .HPD, they are the files as retrieved from the HP-2. They have a .txt extension because the forums will not allow .HPE extension attachments.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The files I uploaded ARE .HPE files not .HPD, they are the files as retrieved from the HP-2. They have a .txt extension because the forums will not allow .HPE extension attachments.

The files you uploaded in your first post are indeed the "HPD" files from your SD card or your hard drive. Those HPD files are in plain text whether or not you change the extension to txt and can not be imported by Sentinel no matter what the extension (even if you change it to HPE)

Use the Sentinel "export" function to get the HPE files so others can "import" them from the Sentinel menu. The HPE files are not plain text.

joemoor

Feed Provider
Thank you for clarifying it. Regardless of the fact if they are HPD or HPE, the problem can be reproduced just using the HP-2 interface without Sentinel. The Sentinel files are CORRET as are the RR files. It is the HP-2 FW using it's own interface that is corrupting the favorites list. I used the HPD files so I could use WinMERGE to show the differences between the files after the HP-2 corrupted them vs what Sentinel wrote to the SD card.

Thank you for your feedback

KE0GXN

Anybody know if this was ever addressed by Uniden?

Anybody on here used GPS with location controlled favorites lists and experienced this?

Status
Not open for further replies.