Henderson county Nc

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Henderson County is planning to go to a Kenwood NEXEDGE system. All public safety will be on the system and I'm sure public works too but I haven't heard anything reliable about the latter.

trumpetman

Database Admin
To be specific they are going to nexedge TDMA system Which yes is a DMR system. And not sure of the time frame but it is a confirmed thing on Henderson County's agenda . I believe they are seeking grants to assist in upgrading the system currently an and looking to make the swap in the next year or two.

To be correct* they're going to a NEXEDGE FDMA trunked system which is NOT a DMR system. It is based on the NXDN CAI voice standard and Kenwood's Type C trunking protocol. The time frame is fairly near as the licensing is done, equipment is being installed, and most all subscribers are trunking capable.

RonnieUSA

No you will not. There are not any commercial scanners that can decode NXDN or DMR.

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
Question? if I buy a NXDN or DMR radio, Can i do a passive scan programming with out a security key installed? like I did with the Motorola I & II 800Mhz radio?

Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin
Question? if I buy a NXDN or DMR radio, Can i do a passive scan programming with out a security key installed? like I did with the Motorola I & II 800Mhz radio?

No. DMR is not the same as NXDN first of all. Also NXDN radios will not un-mute on trunked voice channels if programmed in conventionally.

AlphaFive

Henderson County

I saw a mention about the licensing.. I checked out the FCC files and saw two. County looks like WQNP794, City looks like WQIH223. They are both up into 4900 MHz area, I'm going to assume that's what you all are referring to. Is this correct with the two above license listings? There is no 'emmissions' information listed on the file.

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
I know there not the same. What I'm trying to say is, If I try to program Nxdn trunking do i need a security key or can the radio do a passive scan and decode the channels. Running trunk mode. I never messed with DMR or Nxdn.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I was searching the FCC Database and here is what I was able to come up with.

Looks like three of the fire departments in Henderson County have applied and received calls signs for a VHF Trunked Radio System of there own.

Here are the call signs:

Edneyville Fire Department WQTU-268
Valley Hill Fire Department WQTV-579
Mills River Fire Department WQTT-568

I haven't been up that way in a while, so I don't know if they are operational yet or not.

This is just what popped up during a search

David

AlphaFive

Henderson County

I looked at the emissions designators for those licenses, WQTU268--WQTV579--WQTT568, your right on the money. They are all NXDN. Very Nice.
I don't know why the others WQNP794(Henderson County) and WQIH223(City of Hendersonville) have no emission listing. I am not familiar at all with a system that uses 4900 mhz. The Radio Service code is PA, which I don't know anything about, PA is (Safety of Life).....This I am going to read about, and understand better. Thank You, take care

Quantar22

I looked at the emissions designators for those licenses, WQTU268--WQTV579--WQTT568, your right on the money. They are all NXDN. Very Nice.
I don't know why the others WQNP794(Henderson County) and WQIH223(City of Hendersonville) have no emission listing. I am not familiar at all with a system that uses 4900 mhz. The Radio Service code is PA, which I don't know anything about, PA is (Safety of Life).....This I am going to read about, and understand better. Thank You, take care

That would be a microwave link or other "PTP" link..

4.9 GHz Public Safety Spectrum

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Like I said another way to screw the honest man out of a hobby.

I can see some law and hospital encode reports to be encrypted, but give me a break fire and ems and

rescue dispatch.

Sounds like there communications provider is selling them a bunch of costly add-ons to me that they don't

need.

I guess there communications provider is going to be the only outside person to monitor the system why

everybody else gets screwed.

What about the term interoperability. How do they communicate with outside responding agencies?

What a joke going NXDN

Just my thoughts

David

kg4uad

No. DMR is not the same as NXDN first of all. Also NXDN radios will not un-mute on trunked voice channels if programmed in conventionally.

Theres a workaround if your desperate to monitor a NEXEDGE nxdn trunked system. Buy a icom idas radio and program all the voice channels as conventional, you can monitor but without control of any talkgroups. Icom IDAS doesnt have the nexedge firmware in the radio to mute trunked traffic.

Henderson Co. Ems is already on the trunked system and the sheriffs office goes next. Fire will be lastly.

P.S. this only works for comms in the clear. If the system is encrypted then its r2d2ville.

Status
Not open for further replies.