• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UV-5R Disable Transmit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
For the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to disable transmit for a few specific channels on the Baofeng UV-5R.
I have found a few different places on the Web that talk about how to do it but all of them either don't work for me or don't make sense how to do it.
I'm sure this question has been asked before on here but for the life of me, I can't find it! Any help would be appreciated. (I do have CHIRP software set up.)

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Change the Duplex setting to Off

Thanks! I thought I did that but turns out I accidentally set the Duplex mode to (none) instead of Off and that's why it wasn't working. Thanks again!

khaytsus

And if that doesn't work in the future on a different radio, what I had to do for one of mine is figure out the offset into ham freqs so at least I was transmitting into a legal area if I did accidentally do so... Assuming it'll let you offset that far. Luckily this radio did.... It would not disable transmit, but I could set offset to be -15mhz for 460mhz RX and RX on 445mhz for example.

nd5y

In addition, I set the offset to all zeros.
All that does is make the transmit frequency the same as the receive frequency.

The only proper way to disable transmit is setting Duplex to Off for each channel that you don't want to transmit on and that can only be done with Chirp.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. Yep, setting the Duplex to Off works for me.

dmg1969

All that does is make the transmit frequency the same as the receive frequency.

The only proper way to disable transmit is setting Duplex to Off for each channel that you don't want to transmit on and that can only be done with Chirp.

That's why I said "in addition". I had seen that advice on several websites when I was looking into the same issue. I am not into amateur radio, so I do not know about all of the various functions and settings of a HT.

Status
Not open for further replies.