Icom: IC7000 no VHF/UHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC3AWP

Feed Provider
Hello folks.
Im having an issue with my 7k. Recently I unlocked the radio to be able to transmit out of band so I could also use this rig for GMRS. Before the unlock I had no problems with transmit or receive no problems. Now I can just receive, transmit looks to be about 1 miliwatt on my field scope. HF and 6 work fine. I cant imagine it blew the finals because the change was instant. First test after the unlock, the radio was dead. Any ideas on what might have happened?
Here is the website I got the unlock info from: Ham Radio: Icom Mods => Icom IC-7000 TVRO & MARS Mods by Steve, N5AC (US version)

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Have you tried restoring the radio to it's factory configuration? I'd do that before any other trouble shooting. I'd also carefully look at the locations on the boards where the mods actually take place and make sure there are no solder splashes, bridges, or other components that might have been disturbed.

KC3AWP

Feed Provider
Have you tried restoring the radio to it's factory configuration? I'd do that before any other trouble shooting. I'd also carefully look at the locations on the boards where the mods actually take place and make sure there are no solder splashes, bridges, or other components that might have been disturbed.

Yes I forgot to mention the hard reset (multiple times) and as far as I see, it was a clean removal. There wasn't much solder to begin with (I couldn't believe how small this stuff was) but I have opened it back up 3 time with the third time being a thorough inspection with a magnifying glass. I have a feeling it's gonna have to be sent back to icom but I want to make sure there was nothing else in my power I could do before sending it back. I didn't see any other threads on this topic and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Also I did not do the TV mod just in case anyone else was wondering.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Generally, those types of mods are done successfully, but I've heard of a few where a jumper change will allow the display and VFO to go to the new frequency range, but things like internal switched bandpass filters won't accommodate the change, and things like finals and driver stages get damaged.

I've not specifically heard any such stories about the IC7000, but I wouldn't rule that sort of thing out just yet. That's why I suggested you restore the jumpers back to the factory configuration and try again.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Hello folks.
Im having an issue with my 7k. Recently I unlocked the radio to be able to transmit out of band so I could also use this rig for GMRS.

You may or may not know this, but that is illegal. The radio isn't type accepted for GMRS (part 95).

D

DaveNF2G

Still, the fact that the modification violates FCC regulations might help to explain the hardware failure. Perhaps Icom designed the radio so that such modifications would be ineffective.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, either answer the OP's question or move on. We don't need another out-of-band transmit discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.