It's been 2 months, any x36 news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
It's been 2 months since we heard from Uniden. I'm just wondering when something next will happen. As it stands right now were 6 months out from the 2 year mark. Thats right 2 years :( and so far we only had a few fixes and a limited version of analyzer compared to the HomePatrol. During the last year and a half the x36 has been developing numerous problems, dim display being one of them. My buddy who lives down the street has 4 x36 scanners in his collection and all of his displays are dim and heard to read. Funny thing is 3 of those radios (536, 536, 436) were sent back for the dimming issues just a few months ago and there DIM AGAIN :mad:. Two of mine are showing the same problem. Even now around the year and a half mark there is no Android app release :confused:. A year ago I would have never guessed we would still be in the same situation if not worse off due to battery and dimming problems. Meanwhile my 4 to 5 year old 996XT (3 ea) are running just fine.

troymail

Silent Key
With any hope, Uniden is regrouping trying to determine how to both solve the various problems that have been identified -and- continuing the Android app development.... I (and I assume others) certainly hope so...

For now, my 536 sits in a corner and barely gets any attention.... not that Uniden cares - they already got my money... but never again - unless these issues finally get resolved.... and even then, if I go Uniden again, it won't be until I see solid reports of all features being delivered and over time nothing is failing....

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
So far only having problem with the 436hp I have to enter date/time everytime I start up and when I turn on light it is bright can not change the brightness. So far I have no problems with no dimming or fading away screen.

mitbr

I suspect but cant prove that Uniden and their developers have gone to sleep for the summer.
Come on Uniden prove me wrong.
Tim

scanboyca

Someday, over the rainbow...

I check these RR Uniden forums every day, hoping, wishing, dreaming of the day when I'll see a posting from Upman saying "Siren for Android is now available on the Play Store. Thank you for your patience".

Days, weeks and months click by but still no word whatsoever from Uniden. There are dozens of threads on this topic with the faithful Uniden users patiently waiting, some more vocal than others, asking for a modicum of reassurance from Uniden to addrrsd their customer's desire to know WTH is going on. Has Uniden shelved this development?

I see less and less postings from Upman on these forums lately. He seems to avoid the 436/536 threads like the plague.

Boatanchor

Just look at the number of 536HP's turning up on the auction sites and here on RR.
People are obviously starting to give up hope that Uniden is willing or able to actually finalize this or offer any remediation.

It must be very tempting to sell your 'flagship' scanner before the problems occur :)

This will not end well for Uniden or for the people who shelled out to buy the product.

My faith in Undun has taken a huge hit over the last 18 months.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
DITTO...

... both my x36's have very dim displays and I have never been happy with the p-25 sound... I've adjusted the threshold (after the update allowed it to work right) and use an external speaker but it's still muffled and hard to understand... GRE's on the same systems are crisp and clear... I feel the same as everyone else here, very disappointed...

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
The reason we we're not hearing from Uniden or UPMan is that there is no hope for the *36HP scanners. Uniden will lose more money trying to fix the problems. There have been several owners that had their 536HP's repaired, only to see the same problem return a few months later. There is no fix for the RTC and Uniden has yet to address the backlight issue.

Discontinue the *36HP line of scanners and move on. Use quality components , don't promise features that haven't been fully tested. Listen to your customers.

Most of all ... talk to your customers.

We are like dogs, if you don't throw us a bone we'll respond to someone else's whistle.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
You did the right thing, dconti. A friend of mine bought a 436, against my advice,(Why ask me if he's going to ignore the wornings) and he's finally done with it, I suppose it will go on Ebay. It's got the dim display, which he doesn't care all that much about, but he's had the rattling/intermittent speaker (I fixed that), and it's pretty deaf on VHF, worse with the stock antenna than any radio of mine I put up against it, except for my Maycom AR108 with the rotten little stock antenna on it. It's pretty close against it. Sounds a lot better than the Maycom though, the speaker is probably bad in it and I need to put the new one I found in. The card issues it has is what finally pushed him over the edge. He bought a PRO-651 and it's talking away non stop, hearing all the VHF stuff the 436 was missing, and just flat doing a better job than the 436 ever did..

lep

I guess I must be counted among the 'silent majority' as it once was called because my 436 works fine, it does not have a clock or display problem, the P-25 phase 1 audio sounds fine, I listen to the same system on it as I do on my 996xt and it shows the same sensitivity. No, I do not have a 536, I saw no reason to purchase one. No, the display on my 436 is inferior IMHO to my HP-1 but I have been spoiled by the color touch screen. No, I would not purchase the 436 again if the option was available.
No, I will not buy a Whistler until their relationship with Wal-Mart is clarified as I note their address is just down the street (I lived there for many years).

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I guess I must be counted among the 'silent majority' as it once was called because my 436 works fine, it does not have a clock or display problem, the P-25 phase 1 audio sounds fine, I listen to the same system on it as I do on my 996xt and it shows the same sensitivity. No, I do not have a 536, I saw no reason to purchase one. No, the display on my 436 is inferior IMHO to my HP-1 but I have been spoiled by the color touch screen. No, I would not purchase the 436 again if the option was available.
No, I will not buy a Whistler until their relationship with Wal-Mart is clarified as I note their address is just down the street (I lived there for many years).

Well I am with you there. I am perfectly happy with my 536. As far as the dimming screen, I did notice it the other day but it does not bother me. I can see it fine. I use the app now so that is a non issue for me and once the bugs are worked out of the app I will be mounting the scanner in another place so the screen issues will be a non issue.

daveharpe

Any news other than the scanner has a display that looks like it was sourced from used gas pumps, an RTC that doesn't work unless you leave the scanner on for three days (after making sure you press all the "charging" question keys correctly), and an interface model so poorly designed that the most common question from a new owner is "Why won't it scan?"

Nothing more that I've heard... :)

wise871

Database Admin
Sure we can just use the app if the display is dimming but that's not the point unless your fine with your $$$ scanner display not working correctly.

Here is a list of some of the popular sayings:

I don't need my headset jack working because I very seldom use it or I use external speaker.
I don't need my display brightness working because I use the app.
I don't need the battery working because I don't record audio.
I don't need the full features of the analyzer like the HP-1 because I don't use these features.

Well there are others that do use or care about the above items. Just because your happy with a workaround doesn't mean others are.

Last edited:

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention if your needs or desires should change in the future you may have to pay to get certain functions to work on your radio. However, this may not be possible depending on if the company is still in business or if certain proprietary parts are still available then.

Both have happen to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.