Midland WR-120EZ Weather Radio: Powers on but NO Audio is heard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a Midland WR-120EZ Weather Radio. It powers on OK, it will display messages on the LCD screen, the little lights for Warning, Watch, and Advisory all light up OK. For some reason or another, I get NO audio. I have turned the volume all the way up and still hear nothing. I don't hear the loud Severe Weather Warning alarm anymore either. I have searched the Internet for solutions and found none. Is there something I can do to try to fix this? Or has this weather radio seen its better days, and its time to replace it? I have tried unplugging it and removing the batteries, then replacing the batteries and plugging it in again. These things did not fix the issue. I plan to try connecting the "External Alert" to a pair of computer speakers to see if audio can be heard then. I hope there is a fix for this (without having to use computer or external speakers). Any assistance, suggestions, or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great day!

techman210

I would bet that either the speaker or the audio amp is dead.

looking at the manual, there is no external speaker jack, so you will have to crack the unit open and disconnect the speaker and measure it with an ohmmeter.

If bad, it will measure either zero ohms, or infinite ohms. Typically, it should be between 3-16 ohms. Finding a replacement outside of Midland should be easy using eBay or one of the various parts suppliers.

If it's the audio amp, then it will need to be replaced. If you cannot do this, then it will likely be more economical to replace the unit.

A good test to see if it's the problem above, is if it visually responds to the weekly test. That will tell you that everything else is working.

Alternatively, it could just be a loose internal connector or broken wire on the speaker, so you may just get lucky by opening and visually inspecting the unit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.